RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2013 Voting

Voted for:
Avadon 2, though I'd only give it a 75% or so
Expeditions Conquistador though it had an horrible AI and wasn't challenging enough - and I wouldn't consider it a real RPG
Driftmoon, not a huge game, but a nice little gem

Really hope that XCom or Bioshock don't win the race. Hoped these games were not in the list at all.

For anticipated games it's:
Lords of Xulima
Wasteland 2
Antharion which sadly wasn't listed.

Somehow feel a little bad for not voting for Might and Magic Legacy thoug I really liked it.
Also I am really looking forward to Dead State but expect to be disappointed.

Really hope that XCom or Bioshock don't win the race. Hoped these games were not in the list at all.

BioShock Infinite is the best and most polished game in the bunch, but it is NOT an RPG! Assassin's Creed IV is more of an RPG than BioShock, so why isn't it on the list?

There is not doubt, the best rpg listed is Baldur's Gate 2 EE, but this remastered classic doesn't deserve to win GotY. That would be like a rereleased director's cut of Star Wars winning an Oscar again for best picture. Other than that, there's not much left to choose from… I think I'll vote for Shadowrun Returns, even though it's a mediocre game, because I supported the Kickstarter. Fortunately, 2014 is looking like a fantastic year for RPGs!

I didn't vote for 2013 games - I simply didn't play any new games last year. I voted for following games for 2014:

1. Pillars of Eternity
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition (simply because, I will play this game regardless of how good or bad it is)
3. Wasteland 2 (If I fail on my attempt to play Fallout 2, this will be my next choice).

BioShock Infinite is the best and most polished game in the bunch, but it is NOT an RPG! Assassin's Creed IV is more of an RPG than BioShock, so why isn't it on the list?

There is not doubt, the best rpg listed is Baldur's Gate 2 EE, but this remastered classic doesn't deserve to win GotY. That would be like a rereleased director's cut of Star Wars winning an Oscar again for best picture.
Yeah, Baldur's Gate 2 EE would be the obvious choice in this weak field, but I didn't think it was legit to vote for it, for the reason you mentioned.

No clue why Bioshock is on the list. It's an on-rails console shooter that happens to have more of a story than most? Frankly, if it wins, the integrity of the whole list is out the window.

I'm sure you've all read the intro text at the first question, explaining why games are on the list.

I read it, and didn't vote for them as suggested. Doesn't change my thoughts above, though.

I'm sure you've all read the intro text at the first question, explaining why games are on the list.

Yes, and I'm sure you've read, "The lists might be incomplete or contain games you think should not be in there. Feel free to discuss that in our forums…"

Well, yes. It's arbitrary nevertheless. :p
You could have listed a Racing game where you can roleplay a race driver. I agree that everyone has somewhat of his own definition of RPG but imho there should be limits set by a site like RPGWatch. Then RPG Codex also wouldn't make fun of it. :p

Also set up like this people won't vote on a game just because they don't think it should win the title though it's the best game, which makes the whole vote for that game a little absurd.

I haven't played that many rpgs this year, but i voted:

1. Shadowrun returns
2. Bg2ee
3. Xcom enemy with in

1. Pillars of eternity
2. Divinity orginal sin
3. Witcher 3

Yes, and I'm sure you've read, "The lists might be incomplete or contain games you think should not be in there. Feel free to discuss that in our forums…"
I'm pretty sure he wrote it, if that qualifies as having read it. :)

I guess the thing is, the title of the poll is not "RPG of the Year", it's "Game of the Year". Ok, so we're not necessarily limiting ourselves to RPGs (although in that case there's a lot of other games strangely missing). But then in the text, it confuses the matter by saying "In this contest we ask you to vote for the RPGs you felt were the best in 2013".

Regardless of all that though, I personally feel that if a site like RPGWatch is going to give out a "best of 2013" award, the winners should all be actual RPGs, and new games at that, not re-released games from the 90's.

I voted:

1. none
2. none
3. none

1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Might & Magic X: Legacy (once it gets properly patched)
3. Blackguards (finished this one already, thanks RPGWatch for the early access key!)

Witcher 3 (and Pillars of Eternity) are almost a close tie with the above, but too little is known to make a determination… On the other hand, Goat Simulator will have to go on my backlog, it seems…

Why is Van Helsing more CRPG than Path of Exile?
Blade of Destiny HD is as far as CRPGs can be CRPGs.
Even if Shadowrun and Demonicon are a tiny bit linear, they are still CRPGs.
BG2:EE?

Sorry - I don't know Path of Exile and ignored the remakes.

Eador was the best game of 2013. It's a strategy game but more an RPG than many others in the list.

Wasteland 2 should be the best of 2014, already played 30+ hours with the beta.

Tried Eador and I felt it doesn't really go forward. You are throwing tons of hours into the missions (5-10 in the first ones) and while the beginning is hard, then it's just killing everything during the last hours. Stopped playing after 21h.
Not a bad game, but not a very good one either imho. And about being RPG...well...^^

I went with all nones, too. I played Bioshock Infinite and liked it a lot but even I was having trouble calling it an RPG. It's got the character advancement but there aren't any quests that I remember other than the main storyline. There was just one moral question thrown at you near the start of the game and its only consequence seemed to be getting a quick reward later in the game, so no role playing to speak of.

Anticipated:
1. Witcher 3 (I never finished Witcher 2 because I heard it has a sudden ending so I'm going to wait until I know I can pick up W3 soon after I finish.)

2. Divinity: OS - my first Kickstarter game to see the light of day!

3. Lichdom (used the Other option). I'm not real sure if it will end up being an RPG or more of a shooter with spells (a la Hexen) but the web page does mention quests so I've got hope.

Next on the list would have been Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Back
Top Bottom