PoE Thoughts/discussion/first impressions of Pillars of Eternity!

Pillars of Eternity
Let me c/p my thoughts from news section:
Now that I have played this game for about 20h so far the game is not as good as BG1 or BG2 but I am having more fun than in IWD1 or IWD2. It is still the best RPG I played since BG2:ToB. By the time I finish it, this might change.

For me it lacks that freedom to explore anywhere from the start from BG1 and the combat is weaker as well as the spell system. They did storytelling better than BG1 (so far) and the main story is so far more interesting. But none of the companions I found so far are as interesting as Xzar, Minsc and some others you meet early.

Compared to BG2, it is only better in one thing: you don't start in a big city but you can explore the wilderness from the start.

Let me c/p my thoughts from news section:
Now that I have played this game for about 20h so far the game is not as good as BG1 or BG2 but I am having more fun than in IWD1 or IWD2. It is still the best RPG I played since BG2:ToB. By the time I finish it, this might change.

For me it lacks that freedom to explore anywhere from the start from BG1 and the combat is weaker as well as the spell system. They did storytelling better than BG1 (so far) and the main story is so far more interesting. But none of the companions I found so far are as interesting as Xzar, Minsc and some others you meet early.

Compared to BG2, it is only better in one thing: you don't start in a big city but you can explore the wilderness from the start.

This sounds more down to earth. For reviews I better will wait till honey moon period is over and people are really finished the game.

This sounds more down to earth. For reviews I better will wait till honey moon period is over and people are really finished the game.
I still recommend this game to anyone that likes good RPGs, people just should not expect the second coming of BG or something.

But, Obsidian has a good base here and it seems it is going to earn a lot of money. They can use both to make PoE2 really blow all our minds.

I played the game for about 5 hours and I'm really enjoying it despite the combat. I find RTwP really bad usually, but the game has paced quite well for now, with enough dialogue inbetween combat to make it worthwhile. The story is quite gritty and interesting in my opinion.

I suggest that people give it a go.

Bear in mind, this is just 5 hours in.

I played the game for about 5 hours and I'm really enjoying it despite the combat. I find RTwP really bad usually, but the game has paced quite well for now, with enough dialogue inbetween combat to make it worthwhile. The story is quite gritty and interesting in my opinion.

I suggest that people give it a go.

Bear in mind, this is just 5 hours in.

I agree ... The game has a cool dark gritty feel to it. Loving it so far. Super immersive with good writing and plenty of lore and details. Lots of options and complexity.

So.. I've completed it, but I'm not sure if there's a point in writing a review, considering everyone is already playing it.

Overall it's a great game, with certain annoying flaws and bugs, but I am very much looking forward to the expansion.

For now, I'll start a 2nd game, where I'll try to do things somewhat differently to see the effects/consequences.

So.. I've completed it, but I'm not sure if there's a point in writing a review, considering everyone is already playing it.

Overall it's a great game, with certain annoying flaws and bugs, but I am very much looking forward to the expansion.

For now, I'll start a 2nd game, where I'll try to do things somewhat differently to see the effects/consequences.

So how exactly does it work not sleeping for 4 days straight? :)

Can you tell us if there are any significant consequences to your choices later on down the line (like the choice about what do about the bear cave people)?

How does the general feel of the game compare to D:OS? Other than RTWP vs Turn based. (I always pause when combat starts)

As an aside, for me RTwP combat seems to turn into a cluster(*&)( for me when you most need to carefully manage your tactics. Bad pathing can ruin it, and cause me to pause a lot and reposition. For the amount of effort needed to beat bosses, I would have preferred turn-based. But RTwP removes the tediousness of easy trash mobs, where no input is really needed. I just let it run for those.

So how exactly does it work not sleeping for 4 days straight? :)

Heh, I got used to that during my days of trying to get "server first" this or that in various MMOs. It's important to get some sleep though, or it won't be very enjoyable (I've tried).

Can you tell us if there are any significant consequences to your choices later on down the line (like the choice about what do about the bear cave people)?

This is a very good question, one I intend to find out the next time I play the game. Choices were certainly mentioned quite a few times, but I'm not sure how much it actually affected beyond being referenced.

How does the general feel of the game compare to D:OS? Other than RTWP vs Turn based. (I always pause when combat starts)

The tone is the exact opposite: D: OS is very light hearted, funny and with bright colors. PoE is dark, grim and for the most part depressing, though there are some funny moments and certain bright areas.

Exploration is more fun in PoE, and most characters are more interesting, but it's down to personal preference which game wins overall. There's so much fighting in both games that TB vs RTwP is likely to determine the winner.

I would like to point out that, while PoE has far greater variety in terms of classes, I actually found the level up decisions of D: OS more worthwhile. Planning ahead was simply more fun in D: OS.

As an aside, for me RTwP combat seems to turn into a cluster(*&)( for me when you most need to carefully manage your tactics. Bad pathing can ruin it, and cause me to pause a lot and reposition. For the amount of effort needed to beat bosses, I would have preferred turn-based. But RTwP removes the tediousness of easy trash mobs, where no input is really needed. I just let it run for those.

Yep, I agree. I prefer RTwP in the average fight, but PoE has a few boss fights that really frustrated me because they ended up being something of a mess.

This is a very good question, one I intend to find out the next time I play the game. Choices were certainly mentioned quite a few times, but I'm not sure how much it actually affected beyond being referenced

Cool! I should be taking notes of the choices I made so I can make others on a second playthrough. It's likely I won't remember what I did the first time. :blush:

The tone is the exact opposite: D: OS is very light hearted, funny and with bright colors. PoE is dark, grim and for the most part depressing, though there are some funny moments and certain bright areas.

I haven't played D: OS yet, but have been planning to and this comment alone might seal it. I'm sure I am going to love PoE, but frankly, I'm a bit tired of everything being dark and gritty for the past 10-15 years. One of the things that I always liked about BG over BG2 was the bright, vibrant colors of BG. The world seemed largely happy with nice towns, not slums. Felt more like the old school RPG games to me than anything since.

Cool! I should be taking notes of the choices I made so I can make others on a second playthrough. It's likely I won't remember what I did the first time. :blush:

Haha, I keep forgetting as well. I also bump into another problem in cases like this: I tend to roleplay myself more than anything else, so I end up making the same decisions in most situations. I just can't bring myself to always pick the evil options etc.

I haven't played D: OS yet, but have been planning to and this comment alone might seal it. I'm sure I am going to love PoE, but frankly, I'm a bit tired of everything being dark and gritty for the past 10-15 years. One of the things that I always liked about BG over BG2 was the bright, vibrant colors of BG. The world seemed largely happy with nice towns, not slums. Felt more like the old school RPG games to me than anything since.

I completely agree. There's too much doom and gloom in most RPGs. I think that's one of the reasons I really enjoy games like M&M and Gothic - there's certainly trouble brewing, but it's not as if the entire world is falling apart, and most people get by just fine. D: OS is actually a bit over the top due to being a bit silly at times, but it's still quite refreshing. Well worth playing.

Movement waypoints would be very cool, indeed! Maybe they can add that in a patch. :thinking:

That said, I think the combat is fantastic most of the time. Yes, sometimes the pathfinding isn't the greatest, I agree, but I still think the combat plays out very well most of the time. Getting involved in tougher, more strategical battles is a joy. I love managing those battles, especially on the second or third tries! (Side note - I must be terrible at the game because I've had my entire party destroyed more times than I can count! Playing on Normal - Expert mode.) :)

A funny little article on PC Gamer if you can bear the puns.

I also tried to use waypoints more than once but it does not work :D
But the real solution would be to fix the pathfinding.

I'm a bit tired of everything being dark and gritty for the past 10-15 years. One of the things that I always liked about BG over BG2 was the bright, vibrant colors of BG. The world seemed largely happy with nice towns, not slums. Felt more like the old school RPG games to me than anything since.

Have you tried the Drakensang games yet? If not, you should check those out. They're party-based with RTwP combat, and they definitely have the qualities you mention.

Back
Top Bottom