Witcher 3 - PCWorld: First Impressions

Imo game controls is a very important topic. So many developers forget that not everyone plays with wasd setup. I use mouse in my left hand and thus arrow keys suit me better.

I always set arrow keys for movement. Thats how I roll and if the game doesn't allow me to change controls for my liking, the game is simply unplayable for me. Deadspace 1 for example did not allow me to rebind arrow keys for movement and tweaking ini file did not do the trick either. Luckily some dude had made a hack and i was able to enjoy that great game.

It is a good thing if keys can be changed through ini file, but is too much to ask such function via in game menus ?

Yeah, how dare they make a game that doesn't work very well with both a controller and K+M! Bastards!! ;)

Fixed it for you. :)

I will be playing it tonight. I'm sure you will be happy know that I promise to give you my unvarnished opinions on how well it works. Unless Amazon same day delivery screws up.... And the fact that the NVidia driver updates don't appear to be applicable to my GPU. If they are necessary, then I will have to fling more poo at CDP. :(

Regarding controllers, there are gaming keypads you can buy on Amazon. They are smaller than normal keyboards, and have the keys spaced close together so in complicated games you can easily reach many keys. They have other features also specifically tailored to playing games too, such as programmable keys for creating macros and so on. (for those who don't know, a macro is a key that you can create where if, for example, in the game there is a key combination you are supposed to press for a certain action, with a macro you can combine those key presses into just one key, and then you only have to hit that one key to perform that action, instead of several keys)

So it is kind of an in between mode between using a console-like one hand controller and mouse and keyboard. The reason I know about it is they are very handy for laptop owners, because they are portable enough to take with you if you want to do gaming and not on the keyboard that comes with the laptop (which are usually pretty crappy)

This set-up might be something that would work well for the Witcher 3.

A couple of popular examples from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-Programmable-Gameboard-Display/dp/B001NEK2GE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432070140&sr=8-2&keywords=game+pad

http://http://www.amazon.com/Razer-RZ07-01030100-R3U1-Tartarus-Gaming-Keypad/dp/B00EHBKUTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432070227&sr=8-1&keywords=razer+game+pad

Last edited:
So no one can have an opinion unless they have played it? Spoken like a true fanboi. :)

That's like saying, you shouldn't be able to dislike fish even if you know you hate it. :)

Um..yeah, it helps to have actually experienced something before forming an opinion.

You should think about your own comment for a minute and maybe you'll realize how stupid it makes you look. :)

Yeah, like you can't know something without experiencing it. That assumes one has no memory or concept about the universe in which they experienced similar things. I suppose if you are a completely mindless dumbshit with no memory of your life here on this planet, you might be so stupid to think one cannot have an opinion on something if you haven't experienced that exact same thing before. Really, demonstrating such arrogant stupidity speak volumes….

Gee, I should put my hand in the flame, because, ya know, I haven't been burnt by that particular fire before. :rolleyes:

I prefer to think you are really not that stupid, but just an arrogant fanboi. Most of time you write intelligent things, but in this case your fanboism and emotion seems to have overruled any sense or logic or reason.

It's amazing what the effect of well rendered cyberboobs has on some people. ;)

Aww.. did I hit a nerve? :)

Nice insult filled rant there. That sometimes happens though when someone knows they've been made to look foolish.

Can you have opinion? Sure. But it's obviously not a well informed one. We're not talking about something that can simply be observed. We're talking about the controls, and that's obviously not something you can judge for yourself by simply reading about them. Sorry if pointing that out makes me a fanboi. :)

I think the controls are pretty good. 2 things though and they bothered me in witcher 2 as well.

1. Often when coming out of a roll I can't do an immediate fast attack, I'll hit the button but nothing happens. I thought I remember having the same problem in witcher 2 but it was fixed in a patch. Anyone else with this problem?

2. they still have the annoying take one more step after I stop thing. I guess it's supposed to mimic momentum?

otherwise controls fine. mapping dodge to mouse 4 works great.

I haven't visited here much over the last year or 2 but this place never changes - the same characters arguing about the (very) minor details :)

I gave the TW3 a run last night and was very impressed. I only scratched the surface after a few hours of play, but the RPG mechanics seem good and the combat is workable so far (K&M with the default mapping). As realistic and alive as the world is, I think it’s the NPC’s faces that stand out for me. They’re all unique (so far), and amazingly life like. They somehow avoid that ridged, uncanny valley effect that you usually see. I found interactions to be quite ponderous, with longer than usual pauses between selecting a response and your character actually uttering the words, and I wonder if that was intentional - it gives you longer to appreciate the work that went into both the dialogs, and the voice acting, and the NPC you’re talking to. The work that goes into a modern AAA title is mind blowing.

I'm waiting for people to complain about sites being shown on the map before you even get there with an exclamation mark.

They currently are there on my map with a mouse over you haven't explored this location/item. I'm not sure if they were brought on by something I did in game or not...however this is worse then skyrim in that they didn't show up until you were close...

Hmm.. The only things I can recall my map showing at the very start were important locations like the major cities.

I look around the map now(played maybe 2 hours so far) and there are white exclamation marks all over the place...they point to interesting encounters, very GTA like, they aren't story items I don't believe....but it seems a bit off for the game.

I like the game, don't get me wrong, but I am seeing a lot of areas that lack polish, like for instance when I'm swimming underwater the swords on my back don't actually attach to the player model, you can see a gap. Another is a random npc had a bigger neck/head then the attached body so you could see the line connecting the two. Nothing major so far though.

I just started over again, and I can confirm that there's nothing marked on the map at the start of the game other than the major towns/cities.

The more I play the more I like it. My only complaint right now is the HUD. I like that they gave us an option to hide the mini map, but why no option to hide the button prompts or the quest reminder?

Also, am I missing something or is there no way to write notes on the world map? It sort of defeats the purpose of being able to place a custom map marker if you can't write anything with it.

Nice insult filled rant there.
Knew you would appreciate that since you started with the insults by calling me stupid

That sometimes happens though when someone knows they've been made to look foolish.

Right. You've made me look foolish since I don't like that key re-mappings weren't given a proper PC user interface for making changes. You really did me in. :rolleyes:

Can you have opinion? Sure. But it's obviously not a well informed one.

Obviously, since you provided the information? :)

Determined to drag it on eh? :)

I could point out that you started the name calling with your silly fanboi remark, but I know from past experience that trying to be rational with you is a waste of time once you're angry.

Let's just move on and let the thread get back on track.

I just started over again, and I can confirm that there's nothing marked on the map at the start of the game other than the major towns/cities.

There's a setting to turn off undiscovered map markers. Perhaps you have this set and rune doesn't. The default is to show them.

Back
Top Bottom