Fallout 4 - Official Announcement

Trailer looked serviceable, but nothing like I expected. Bethesda usually excel at hype and the success of Skyrim should justify literally any budget. Not quite sure what to make of it, but I still have confidence it'll be great.

It looks pretty good to me. I'm excited.

The trailer showed more of the setting than what we usually get to see in these announcements, which I enjoyed. Was that a jet-engine equipped USS Constitution I saw in there? That would fit the supposed Boston setting.

It just looks like a slightly glossier FO3 (which I finished and liked). The ironic humor has been rubbed into the ground for me. I guess I'm not that big of a fan of the franchise.

As soon as a human is taking ten shots from a machine gun to the face and still living, you've lost my willing suspension of disbelief. Guess I like swords and magic better.

bah… not interesting at all.
IMHO
- graphic - looks dated on 2011 level.
- same engine (or tweaked?) - animations… seems like fo3 and it is bad… that is why I could never get into fo3
- story ???? if same old… not interesting

I expected same jump as it was with oblivion -> skyrim but... no
I will not preorder for sure.

A rather unimpressive trailer.

Despite being a Fallout fan, I am not necessarily looking forward to this game as it is made by Bethesda and they do not excel (deliberately) in those areas I care the most for.

I expect a bad story, bad writing, forgettable and shallow NPCs, bad or simplistic game mechanics, horrible PC UI ……Nevertheless, I will most likely buy it and get my money's worth as world exploring is something they do tend to get right :).

The trailer itself seems to step back from the basic formula used by most games these days which is…. IN YOUR FACE EXPLOSION RIDDLED BATTLEFIELD BACKED BY HYPE INFUSED EPIC MUSIC SCORE. Maybe it is just me but after a while all those trailers feel the same and any system that attempts to induce hype turns me off.

I'll admit the trailer seems odd. Maybe I was just expecting another generic hype trailer #111. The trailer does have a lost feeling about it, like a wandering that doesn't end. Maybe that is the feeling they were attempting to capture.

Of all the criticisms, the one I have some sympathy with is that the 1950s-americana-irony meme has worn out its welcome. I think a bit of a darker-toned reboot might be in order - a bit like they did with James Bond, to purge it of the tired arch humour.

Of all the criticisms, the one I have some sympathy with is that the 1950s-americana-irony meme has worn out its welcome. I think a bit of a darker-toned reboot might be in order - a bit like they did with James Bond, to purge it of the tired arch humour.

The 50's theme was brought in primarily with Fallout 3 right? The first two games had a much more gritty mad max like theme to them.

I am not a SF fan usually but have always liked the FO games, FNV being my favorite of all of them. So I am excited. I liked the trailer a lot, not sure why so much negativity.

Course I am biased being a big GSD fan. Loved that the dog was the highlight of the clip.

An unoriginal sequel to a very unoriginal game has just been announced.

Repeating the repeated stuff? Check.
The inability to offer anything new? Check.
Dated game engine with last gen graphics? Check.

And people go: ZoMyGad! ZoMyGad! IZ zat a german shpard? Zomygad! zAt is sooo innovative! Letz all hop on ze hype train! ZOOOOO MAAAAAAA GAAAAAAAAD!

===EDIT===
I forgot to mention that for some people it was very unexpected, since 'absolutely no one' would guess Fallout 4 was going to be announced soon.

Excellent news. I'm sure the graphics will be solid and to me that's gravy since I'm considerably more concerned with good gameplay and content.

When FO3 was first coming out I was pissed that they changed the entire core of the game (away from isometric) and I still wish they would do a proper sequel, but I enjoyed the heck out of both FO3 and NV (unlike many I prefer FO3 since I like the setting way better and found the story/stories in NV to be generally annoying).

The only bummer is that it takes them so long to make these games that we probably won't hear about a proper follow up to Skyrim for years.

I remember that in fallout 1&2 low intelligence lead to amazing conversations. In fallout 3, no matter the intelligence, you had the same dialogues. In fallout 4?

If this means that the next TES is in 2019, then I'm pissed. Otherwise, I'm content. Bethesda needs to move quicker. They have 500 employees. They should be able to make more than one game every 4 1/2 years.

All numbers pulled from posterier

And people go: ZoMyGad! ZoMyGad! IZ zat a german shpard? Zomygad! zAt is sooo innovative! Letz all hop on ze hype train! ZOOOOO MAAAAAAA GAAAAAAAAD!

===EDIT===
I forgot to mention that for some people it was very unexpected, since 'absolutely no one' would guess Fallout 4 was going to be announced soon.

I bet you hate puppies, too.

Beyond the graphics disappointment, beyond the lack of new enemies and concepts, what I find most frustrating is the continued lack of information on what the title will bring to the table.

Ironsights?
Crafting?
Weapon Mods?
Multiple factions?
More than Dr.Evil and GodWalksAmongUs dialogue?
Truly open-world or on-rails exploration akin to FO3 DC area?

All the above were introduced with FNV and I really want to know whether Bethesda is arrogant enough to disregard each improvement.

The 50's theme was brought in primarily with Fallout 3 right? The first two games had a much more gritty mad max like theme to them.

If I remember correctly, and it has been at least a decade when I played the first two Fallouts, the original Fallout was the one that had a more gritty and Mad Max style feel to it, while even in Fallout 2 they started to really pile on the 50s stuff and the ironic humor stuff.

I would love it if they dropped the irony overload and the 50s music in this new edition of the game, and go with a much more post apocalyptic, dark, somber and foreboding atmosphere. Not holding my breath though.

I'd welcome the time travelling idea. It would be nice to experience the pre-fallout society and experience the bombs hitting etc. Not sure how doable something like it would be for an open world game. How would it even work? Would those be separate segments in the middle of main story or simply the opening part of main story…

I also hope that they tone down the silly bits a bit. More serious story would be a nice change. Back to the roots aka fallout 1. More focus on survival…

If I remember correctly, and it has been at least a decade when I played the first two Fallouts, the original Fallout was the one that had a more gritty and Mad Max style feel to it, while even in Fallout 2 they started to really pile on the 50s stuff and the ironic humor stuff.

I would love it if they dropped the irony overload and the 50s music in this new edition of the game, and go with a much more post apocalyptic, dark, somber and foreboding atmosphere. Not holding my breath though.

Dang. I played through Fallout 2 a few times but it has been so long I don't remember that theme creeping in at that point. I'll have to revisit it again.

Dang. I played through Fallout 2 a few times but it has been so long I don't remember that theme creeping in at that point. I'll have to revisit it again.

I might be wrong, but that is my recollection. The first Fallout had a different tone in general, along the lines of what you said, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom