looking for an RPG with a good combat system

khaooohs

Watcher
HI, I'm kinda new here, I've played a lot of rpg games. since I discovered the genre…
now I have the feeling for playing with a big two handed weapon like a maul or an axe whatever so I'm looking for a action rpg with some features:

- good combat system
- non turn based (it can be turn based, but I rather a real time rpg for now)
- it must be single player

games that already tried and played:

- morrowind: fun, if I cant find a game like what I'm looking for, I will play it again, maybe.
- oblivion is broken.
- skyrim, even with it's amazing graphics, there's nothing new in it, pretty linear
- tried for a while mount and blade warband: fun game but it's like repetitive.
- Fallout 3 and NV, I liked more fallout 3 (didn't use blunt weapons, lol)
- gothic 2, people said it's a great rpg, and combat system is fun, I tried it but I didn't like it, maybe I will try it again.
- diablo 2 doesn't count
- torchlight did nothing on me, maybe I will try it again.
- Titan Quest was fun for a while.

games that I'm looking to forward to try (maybe if you already played them you can give an opinion:

- Risen
- Tow worlds 2 (haven't tried 1, but people doesnt give so good opinions about it)
- borderlands, more a fps, but some people say it's fun
- kingdom come: deliverance I need a better machine first
- Sui Generis: same as kingdom come, and it's not out yet

I know there are lots of games that I haven't played or tried, but I can't find a game that actracts me, except for upcoming games, like sui generis

I hope you help me find something fun

thanks!

Last edited:
I think you'll have to define what is considered a "good" combat system in your eyes first ;)

Hmm… good real time combat, and it sounds like you want something visceral instead of a Diabloesque clickfest.

Well, you've touched on most of them that spring to mind. You could try Risen, which is in the Gothic vein. The combat's the main reason I gave up on it, being somewhat bland and repetitive, but you might get more out of it.

The combat in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines can be pretty fun, but it's not a major part of the game, except in a few of the more dull parts. It's well worth playing in general, though.

Arx Fatalis is a bit like Morrowind, but the controls are clunkier. It's got an atmosphere you can't beat, though.

There's also Kingdoms of Amalur, which is a better game than it seems to be. The combat's nice and actiony, but I've not explored all of the weapon/spell options in it.

In the non-RPG-but-close realm, there's Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It's a linear action game, but definitely worth a look. Most of the fun comes from using the environment to kill stuff.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I'm sure someone else will add to that list.

Frankly, I find that realtime melee combat has not been done very well in any genre of game. I'd love to see it, but generally I find turn-based better for fantasy style combat. Realtime works well for shooters, because that's much easier to simulate.

Hmm… good real time combat, and it sounds like you want something visceral instead of a Diabloesque clickfest.

Well, you've touched on most of them that spring to mind. You could try Risen, which is in the Gothic vein. The combat's the main reason I gave up on it, being somewhat bland and repetitive, but you might get more out of it.

The combat in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines can be pretty fun, but it's not a major part of the game, except in a few of the more dull parts. It's well worth playing in general, though.

Arx Fatalis is a bit like Morrowind, but the controls are clunkier. It's got an atmosphere you can't beat, though.

There's also Kingdoms of Amalur, which is a better game than it seems to be. The combat's nice and actiony, but I've not explored all of the weapon/spell options in it.

In the non-RPG-but-close realm, there's Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It's a linear action game, but definitely worth a look. Most of the fun comes from using the environment to kill stuff.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I'm sure someone else will add to that list.

thanks for suggestions, I will pick up risen, arx and masquerade :D

I think you'll have to define what is considered a "good" combat system in your eyes first ;)

mmmmm, it's hard to define what I consider a good combat system and to find it in a game...for me it would be something like revenant :D

any game with a innovative combat system will do I think or something that surprises you

btw: adding shining visual effects doesn't work with me

Take a look at Divinity 2. While you use 2-handed swords, they are rather hefty.

The Gothic series has a combat system that can be a bit hard to get into. I for one really like it, but it is not very intuitive.

Kingdoms of Amalur had a good weight behind its combat as well. I thought that game had a great start due to its combat system, but I also found it a bit repetitive.

Dark souls.

You should check Dark Souls. Very challenging action RPG.

Frankly, I find that realtime melee combat has not been done very well in any genre of game. I'd love to see it, but generally I find turn-based better for fantasy style combat. Realtime works well for shooters, because that's much easier to simulate.

yeah, it seems to be the case, so good action games and great rpg games, and companies doesn't seem to find a make a good balance between, maybe the world is not ready for such a game, when I get a better computer I will try kingdom come.

thanks for suggestions, I will pick up risen, arx and masquerade :D

Risen is on sale at GOG for 1.89€. Many other RPGs too, for example the complete Divinity series.

Dark souls has the best action combat of any game I've played, my opinion obviously. It can also be quite deep, stats and weapon wise and exploration and atmosphere are great. Almost no npc's and the story is almost nonexistent as well, though some claim it has a good story.

My runner up based on fun combat system would be dark messiah of might and magic. It's very linear though.

As a lot of people already said, dark souls, you just have to know you have to mod it to be able to play on PC :p

Back
Top Bottom