Underworld Ascendant - Overhauled Gameplay Footage!

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Indie Retro News reports on Underworld Ascendant releasing some gameplay footage recently.

After this years Kickstarter success for Otherside Entertainment's overhauled RPG of ' Underworld Ascendant ' which raised $860,356 in pledging, The creative team behind the original Ultima Underworld and System Shock have today released a very early footage video showing actual gameplay of this modern take on the classic Dungeon Crawler.

More information.

Yeah I sent this in as news....pretty awesome looking.

Looks terrific.

Looking good. I'm glad I backed this.

Does anyone know what engine it's using now? I know they were using Unity for the early demos, but I thought they were going to switch at some point.

I don't know, but it sure looks a lot better!

The actress sounded a lot like the one that did Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite to me. She sure had a lot to say! I wonder if they've got a lot of dialog recorded or if we're going to hear the same things over and over?

Looking good. I'm glad I backed this.

Does anyone know what engine it's using now? I know they were using Unity for the early demos, but I thought they were going to switch at some point.

Unity 4. They are moving to Unity 5 soon.

Looks nice :)

Good progress in a relatively short amount of time means they're not completely out of shape.

@Silver

I need to know what it says on the side of your rocket.

Pink Floyd fan eh Silver? ;) ("Set the Controls for...)

As a massive backer for UA, very happy to see the progress on creating a suitably atmospheric and interactive dungeon crawling experience. Tiny bit peeved by the voice-acting; seemed too regular for my tastes in such a game, but that's ok.

Keen to see more non-linear approaches in dungeons and more classic puzzle solving in action. Keep up the good work, otherwise chaps at Otherside...:)

@Pessimeister
Pink Floyd make great music.

Yeah I'm encouraged by the progress made thus far. Apparently they had to tame the monster ai somewhat for the demo because it was too effective putting out all the player created light sources. Yikes!

A lot of people are bitching about the FOV being too narrow.

Which brings me to an "interesting" thing about myself - as in I've never, in my 32 years of gaming, been bothered by the FOV in a game. Well, not that I can remember.

It's become a very important feature in games, and I've tried adjusting it for a lot of games to see how it would impact my experience. It literally makes zero difference to me - unless we're talking about a specific tactical advantage, which a wider field of view obviously brings.

I have to wonder what's so different about certain people, as it seems to be a major issue for quite a few.

It can literally make people sick, motion divk, that is.

Yeah, my GF suffers from this motion sickness problem to a relatively large extent.

But it seems to me that a lot of the complaints are from people who simply don't like having a narrow field of view.

It's hard to be certain, but it doesn't seem to be motion sickness that's the problem for a lot of them.

I'm just genuinely curious.

It can literally make people sick, motion sick, that is. hl2 did a real number on me.

I'm glad I've never experienced that. It's safe to say that must certainly decrease your enjoyment of the game. :)

I used to get a slight headache sometimes from the way the camera panned in Gothic. I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with the FOV though.

My GF can't play a first-person game without getting rather strong nausea. She can play a few third-person over-the-shoulder games, like The Witcher, but even those tend to make her sick after a few hours.

I've found that reducing frame-rate to 30 instead of 60 helps her the most.

Pretty unfortunate, now that I've finally found a partner who's a bit of a gaming nut ;)

My brother has the same problem to a much lesser degree, and it seems to be mostly when he watches others play.

Personally, I've never had a negative physical reaction to any kind of computer gaming - except perhaps a loss of sleep and a lack of exercise :)

Back
Top Bottom