Protestant church close to splitting

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Anglican church close to splitting

Uganda bishops join boycott of Lambeth Conference over gay priests

The Anglican bishops of the Church in Uganda are to boycott the Lambeth Conference in protest at the liberal direction the Anglican Church is taking on homosexuality.

The province, which has more than 30 bishops, joins Nigeria in boycotting the ten-yearly gathering, which takes place in Canterbury this summer. The diocese of Sydney in Australia has also decided not to attend.

A similar announcement was expected this week from Kenya, also a member of the Commonwealth, but the post-election violence there has postponed the decision until later this year.

What do you think about this ?
Will this lead to a schism in the Anglican church ?
How can there be so many opinions on it ? Isn't it supposed to be: Homosexuality is bad according to the Bible, so it's not allowed ?

How do they justify having gay bishops if it's not allowed and they preach against homosexuality ?

Why don't they decide to split directly from the liberal church if they're so much against it ?
How significant will it be in the everyday life of the members of the curch if there is a schism ?

Last edited:
What do you think about this ?
Will this lead to a schism in the Anglican church ?
How can there be so many opinions on it ? Isn't it supposed to be: Homosexuality is bad according to the Bible, so it's not allowed ?

How do they justify having gay bishops if it's not allowed and they preach against homosexuality ?

The usual argument is that Jesus never addresses the issue of homosexuality himself, and of course the OT isn't relevant as Jesus brought the new covenant.

Why don't they decide to split directly from the liberal church if they're so much against it ?

There are significant financial issues as well as spiritual issues. The US Anglican Church nearly split on this issue two years ago, but mainly didn't because it would have involved massive litigation about who owned the Churches and other facilities.

How significant will it be in the everyday life of the members of the curch if there is a schism ?

As someone that has been through one (The US Lutheran Church), it completely depends on how your Church is run.

The title of this thread is misleading; it's the Anglican church, NOT the Protestant church which in a sense split hundreds of years ago. The Bible says homosexulaity is an abomination in the sight of God. That's fairly clear cut. The approach of most Christians is hate the sin, love the sinner, which is also consistent with Christian teaching. This problem is not confined solely to the Anglican church, nor even just the Protestant movement. It's quite well known that a considerable number of Catholic priests are gay. I can't speak for other religions.

Changed the title.

bn is saying that that is part of the OT and since Jesus signed a new covenant, that it doesn't have any relevance.
Who chooses what part of the OT is or isn't relevant ?

Is this actually such a big issue or not ?
How do Christians from any denomination know that their specific interpretation is true and the other isn't?

How do Christians from any denomination know that their specific interpretation is true and the other isn't?
You're stealing my text, mister. ;)

They "know" because they say so, Pladio, and if you question that you'll get anywhere from shunned to shouted down to shot.

Changed the title.

bn is saying that that is part of the OT and since Jesus signed a new covenant, that it doesn't have any relevance.
Who chooses what part of the OT is or isn't relevant ?

I didn't say that I agree with that, just that is generally the argument used by people that don't think homosexual relations are a sin. Additionally, they have to discount Paul's teachings as well, since he speaks to it on point.

Is this actually such a big issue or not ?

For me it is. Not because of the underlying morality issue of the lifestyle (which to clarify, I think it is a sin religiously speaking, but I am against any type of government legislation attempting to suppress it), but because I have a very had time accepting denomination that throws out or 'reinterprets' their beliefs simply because it's not longer politically correct.

Church governing bodies tend to put out publishings when a major issue like this is changed. So you hear it from your pastor, priest, etc. or read about it. Now granted, different Churches within a denomination are going to have some variance in interpretation and beliefs just from cultural and personal differences, but usually denominations have a high level overall guiding set of beliefs.

How do they discount Paul's teachings then ?

Also, during the time of the Romans, homosexuality was very prominent, was Christianity at that time fighting against homosexuality or not ?
Is homosexuality a new issue of the church or has it always been really important?

They basically say that since Paul wasn't Jesus, it doesn't count. Which is strange, because it was Paul, not Jesus, that broke from the Jewish traditions concerning dietary and other restrictions, and they all seem to follow that pretty well.

Jewish tradition, like Arab tradition, has always been very anti-same sex relations. Christianity grew out of that tradition. There were various sects at various times that used unfortunate language in various passages to claim that same sex as well as the Greek older-younger same sex relations were acceptable, but these generally did not last.

Paul, being Roman, was very aware of the prevalence of homosexuality in Roman culture and spoke out against it, at least for Christians, regularly and in very harsh terms. The letters of Paul that make up several of the books of the New Testament speak directly to it on more than one occasion.

Since that point, outside of the point I made above, the Christian Church has always had a doctrine that counted homosexuality as a sin, though varying degrees of whether it was simply 'being' or 'engaging' in that was sinful have oscillated through history. And of course, various scandals have broke out at times.

I'm reminded of a part of Templar history where three Templars were expelled from the Order for engaging in acts 'so detestable that they could not be repeated.'

It's only in very recent times that any type of legitimacy has been pushed for in regards to that lifestyle. The push towards it reminds me of how prohibition occurred in this country. A very vocal, very organized minority pushed it's agenda against people that were afraid to stand against it, lest they be labeled as intolerant or worse.

I enjoy discussing religion, whether it be with other Christians or those of other faiths. I find it interesting that different people have such different views, even when presented with the same information. It's what makes faith faith, IMO. My own views are pretty conservative/fundamentalist. When I express my views though, I always say "I believe" that this means that or whatever. I never try to state that something is The Truth or The Fact, unless we are talking historical (IE someone one was born on a date, etc.).

However, when I have tried to discuss this new view of homosexuality, particularly as it pertains to legalization of gay marriage, I am usually attacked, called a bigot or worse for stating what I believe. I've never once told someone I think they are wrong, only that I don't agree with them, but I still get viciously (verbally speaking) attacked. It's classic intimidation.

They basically say that since Paul wasn't Jesus, it doesn't count. Which is strange, because it was Paul, not Jesus, that broke from the Jewish traditions concerning dietary and other restrictions, and they all seem to follow that pretty well.

I thought that because of the new covenant, the laws of the OT don't count ?
Which do and which don't ? (not asking for a list of everyone, but the big lines)
Who chose which do and don't ? (Is it Paul who is the last major authority on the subject?)

It's only in very recent times that any type of legitimacy has been pushed for in regards to that lifestyle. The push towards it reminds me of how prohibition occurred in this country. A very vocal, very organized minority pushed it's agenda against people that were afraid to stand against it, lest they be labeled as intolerant or worse.

But wouldn't you be intolerant if you push for banning lifestyles?
Also, do you believe homosexuality a sin as in a conscious choice people make to be gay ? Or do you believe as is generally stated in scientific articles that being gay is just physiological thing, depending on the chemicals in your body?

I know someone who had classes for a young boy who was gay. After a year or two of those classes, he said that the boy was 'cured'. He believed homosexuality to be an illness or ailment that could be cured like a lot of other psychological diseases. Either that or he believed that suppressing the feelings of homosexuality for that young man was better than letting him be the way he was.
What do you think ?

I enjoy discussing religion, whether it be with other Christians or those of other faiths. I find it interesting that different people have such different views, even when presented with the same information. It's what makes faith faith, IMO. My own views are pretty conservative/fundamentalist. When I express my views though, I always say "I believe" that this means that or whatever. I never try to state that something is The Truth or The Fact, unless we are talking historical (IE someone one was born on a date, etc.).

I love talking about religion, unfortunately, 90% of times it's either people who don't believe in anything strongly enough to want to discuss it or it's people with opinions which are so strong that there is no way of discussing it since they'll just say I am a non-believer, an infidel or that I'm just ignorant. Most of the other 10% is here on this forum or with a few friends of mine.

About it being the Truth. If you're a conservative Christian, aren't you supposed to believe that believing in Christ is the Only and One Truth ? (Or do you mean, you're not going to push too much and respect other people's beliefs ?)

However, when I have tried to discuss this new view of homosexuality, particularly as it pertains to legalization of gay marriage, I am usually attacked, called a bigot or worse for stating what I believe. I've never once told someone I think they are wrong, only that I don't agree with them, but I still get viciously (verbally speaking) attacked. It's classic intimidation.

I think I had a discussion similar to this with JemyM and Prime Junta once, where both showed evidence that gay couples usually had better-schooled children and other positive effects.
I don't think I will ever insult you, you might see I disagree with you on issues though. I also guess you're against legalization of gay marriages?

For me Christianity has become quite important in my life since I started dating a Christian girl. I have always been interested in religion in general, but Christianity has been gripping at me.

The thing is, the more I read about Christianity, the less I can believe in it.
The first thing that comes to mind is Christian on Christian persecution from the earliest of times. Then the manipulation of the gospels, leaving most of them out of the NT. The many, many beliefs on even core matters, such as the trinity and the importance of the OT. The persecution and killings of many millions of different religions. The killing of scientists claiming anything different than Church opinions. The killing in the name of God. These are just the most important things. I just have trouble believing in a religion that doesn't even know what it is itself.

These latest troubles don't help much for Christian credibility.
So my interest has grown, but so has my skepticism about Christianity being true.

I'll be happy to discuss assorted Christian beliefs with you all in a different thread and answer any questions about those beliefs, so long as it doesn't turn into a Christian bashing thread by the atheists. Save that for a different thread. Perhaps I can help you overcome some of your issues with your readings Pladio.

I'll be happy to discuss assorted Christian beliefs with you all in a different thread and answer any questions about those beliefs, so long as it doesn't turn into a Christian bashing thread by the atheists.
While I'd call myself an atheist, I'd be very interested in such a thread. Not so much to take part in it directly, but rather to read and learn.

I thought that because of the new covenant, the laws of the OT don't count ?
Which do and which don't ?
Who chose which do and don't ? (Is it Paul who is the last major authority on the subject?)

Honestly, since I'm not an expert on Jewish tradition, I couldn't say all of them, but the big one that I am aware of is the dietary restrictions. The new covenant does replace the OT, but at the same time Jesus observed many of the old traditions still. Like anything in religion, there is no simple answer!

Paul probably did the most in spreading the Gospel outside of the middle east. He and Peter were known to have fought over many things in the direction of the Church, including the dietary restrictions.

But wouldn't you be intolerant if you push for banning lifestyles?

Well, it's not so much banning. As I said, I (and I think most Christians) don't support laws banning such lifestyles, but that doesn't mean I don't think they qualify as sinful and that a proper Church should condone it. That doesn't mean gays should be kicked out of Church or anything, far from it. Like any other sinner they should be welcomed and hope that they change their ways (which gets to your next question).

An example would be someone that takes the Lord's name in vain. They shouldn't be kicked out of Church for it (I'd never be let in again, that's for sure!), but it is a sinful activity and the Church should not say "It's ok, it was just your instinct."

Also, do you believe homosexuality a sin as in a conscious choice people make to be gay ? Or do you believe as is generally stated in scientific articles that being gay is just physiological thing, depending on the chemicals in your body?

Interesting question. I don't think anyone (well most anyone) would choose to be gay, even my gay friends have told me that! Whether it is by divine design, chemical reaction, or some form of birth defect, I don't know. I think some people are more predisposed to it than others and in some people environment can play an influence.

That said, I think there is a very distinct difference between being gay and engaging in homosexual activities. You are what you are. You can't help the desires that come to you naturally, but you do have a choice on how you act on them. Regardless of what desire we are talking about, I think that is what defines us individually. We all have desires that whether through personal belief or social convention are considered 'wrong.' What is important is how we act on them.

I know someone who had classes for a young boy who was gay. After a year or two of those classes, he said that the boy was 'cured'. He believed homosexuality to be an illness or ailment that could be cured like a lot of other psychological diseases. Either that or he believed that suppressing the feelings of homosexuality for that young man was better than letting him be the way he was.
What do you think ?

I think suppressing anything is bad, understanding is good. I don't know if you can be cured or not. In most cases, I don't think so. That's simply how you are hard wired, whatever the reason.

About it being the Truth. If you're a conservative Christian, aren't you supposed to believe that believing in Christ is the Only and One Truth ? (Or do you mean, you're not going to push too much and respect other people's beliefs ?)

As a Christian, I do believe that the Christian story is The Truth, and any time I can help someone else to come to that belief is a great day. However, I am respectful of other people's beliefs. They have the right to believe as they choose, and I will not only respect that, but defend it as well.

I think I had a discussion similar to this with JemyM and Prime Junta once, where both showed evidence that gay couples usually had better-schooled children and other positive effects.
I don't think I will ever insult you, you might see I disagree with you on issues though. I also guess you're against legalization of gay marriages?

I've heard similar things, but like all stats, it depends on how you present them. For instance, one thing always said is that these children are 'more open-minded.' I think that is a good thing in general, but it's a very vague term, and often the left (not to start playing politics, but this is my opinion) think that open-minded means excluding anything not liberal (had a big problem with this at the school I went to).

Don't want to get too deep into the gay marriage debate, but yes I am against it. I am for legalized domestic partnerships. You already can do 90% of what they cover anyhow (it just takes a lot of paperwork), and the few other things (immigration issues, joint tax filing, health benefits) I would support anyway, so I don't see an issue. The problem with calling it a marriage is that it opens up a lot of harsh emotions on both sides, and it fundamentally comes down to a question that simply can't be proven by either side: Is the relationship between a man and a woman the same as the relationship between two people of the same sex?

I think the domestic partnership is a fair compromise (though not everyone would be happy). Hell, one of my gay friends said "You can call it a sodomy license for all I care, I just want the benefits!"

The thing is, the more I read about Christianity, the less I can believe in it.
The first thing that comes to mind is Christian on Christian persecution from the earliest of times.

Most of these can be attributed more to cultural differences than religious ones. Look at Islam or Hindu's, or even Jews. All have had periods where one group has persecuted another for various reasons, often using religious difference simply as a guise.

Then the manipulation of the gospels, leaving most of them out of the NT.

Have you read them all? I have (well, maybe not all, but all the ones that have been translated and published). I was scared shitless that reading some of the non canonical Gospels would shake the core of my beliefs.

There are only a handful, that even back then, they felt were truly Apolistic (IE written by someone that had actually known Jesus). Some were known to have been written (not just written down, but new works) well after the death of Jesus and most of his disciples. Take the Gospel of Judas for instance.

What I found though was that while I understand the reasons many were left out (For instance Thomas IIRC, while interesting, is just a list of sayings of Jesus, most of which don't make sense without context), overall they strengthened my faith. A lot. Because there was nothing that hugely different in them. Sure the Gnostic ones focus more on self-awareness and less on the crucifixion and resurrection, but they all still are fundamentally about the same thing, turning away from sin and becoming one with God. Whether that is through blind acceptance of Christ's sacrifice or through self-awareness, I don't see much different. The journey is different, but the destination is the same.

And I would expect that Christ would show more than one path to that ultimate salvation. Even if you only read the canonical Gospels, he was a master of crafting his message to his audience, so that who ever he was speaking to could understand the end message. That's one reason why there are inconsistencies. Again, the destination is the same.

Last edited:
Had to break my response in two! Man, I'm wordy!

The many, many beliefs on even core matters, such as the trinity and the importance of the OT.

I think if you really examine it, you'll find that the core beliefs are all much the same. There are some outliers, but fundamentally they all believe one thing: That only through acceptance of Christ as your savior will you achieve salvation. As my pastor once said "The rest is just fluff designed to get you there."

The persecution and killings of many millions of different religions.

Is this different than any other major religion? The Jews killed large amounts of non-believers in the OT. The Romans (Pagan) brutally persecuted the Christians for hundreds of years. The Muslims persecuted the Christians in territories they conquered. Don't confuse the actions of the Church members with the religion itself. People have always been able to use religion (of any form) to commit unspeakable acts.

The killing of scientists claiming anything different than Church opinions.

It's been a long time since this was the norm, not that it excuses it. But was it really about the religion or the Church as a powerful governmental institution?

The killing in the name of God.
All religions have fanatics. I doubt if you polled any group of Christians, even the most fundamentalist of them, you'd find more than a rounding error of people that believe it is ok to kill in the name of God.

I just have trouble believing in a religion that doesn't even know what it is itself.

You have to find your own faith, but this is true with any religion. If you were evaluating Judaism, would it bother you that there are Hasidic Jews, Orthodox Jews, Reformed Jews, etc.? Or Islam that there are Sunni and Shite? Or the various different forms of Paganism?

As humans, we all see things differently, even if we are looking at the exact same thing. It kind of reminds me of another thing my pastor said about the Bible. In addressing the various inconsistencies and such, he summed it up as "The Bible is man's imperfect attempt to recreate God's perfect word."

So my interest has grown, but so has my skepticism about Christianity being true.

A nice dose of skepticism is a healthy thing. Personally, I find those that follow in blind obedience to be disingenuous. I've gone through two major faith questioning periods of my life, and in both cases, my faith has come out stronger in the end due to it.

Anytime you want to ask questions, feel free. I don't claim to be right all the time, but I'll always be honest with what I believe! Good luck!

good points ninja

one of the arguments I make for Jesus not needing to address the problem is that it was simply a capital offence in Israel under the Law and the Romans allowed for local law as long as the Roman Civil code was enforced.

With homosexuality prevalent outside Jewish cities, it would be easy to understand that Jews not willing to give up that lifestyle would migrate to those cities just like people do today.

Paul had to address the issue when he preached to the churches in those same gentile cities, having to make it distinctly clear that both homosexuality and pedagogy were unacceptable. But the difference between the old covenant and the new regarding sin was that penalty wasn't death but forgiveness.

When he addressed the church in Corinth on these issues and more he pointed out "and such were some of you." The church members had turned around from their former lifestyles willingly and Paul outlined there the system on how to approach individuals who fell back into it.

That there are churches want to ignore some of the clearest scripture in the Bible for their own convenience and justify wrong as right is no surprise, its been going on since at least the first century. Paul warned to be aware of wolves in sheep's clothing..who have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof. In from Paul's writing we get that expression on this very kind of issue.

These replies are getting long :D !

Honestly, since I'm not an expert on Jewish tradition, I couldn't say all of them, but the big one that I am aware of is the dietary restrictions. The new covenant does replace the OT, but at the same time Jesus observed many of the old traditions still. Like anything in religion, there is no simple answer!

So, you believe in Paul's letters then ? You're not eating Kosher and you're not observing the traditions of the OT ?

What about the Sabbath ? Traditional Holidays (Passover, Chanouka, New Year, Day of Atonement,...) Tsdakah (Charity, I think got transformed to Church tithe) ?

Paul probably did the most in spreading the Gospel outside of the middle east. He and Peter were known to have fought over many things in the direction of the Church, including the dietary restrictions.

If the arguments started as early as then on what's supposed to be true ? How can the ideas of today's churches actually be true if they're all different? How do you know Jesus' idea wasn't just to show everyone that they were sinning and that they should come back to their origins ? Jesus was a student of a rabbi back then and what he preached wasn't much different than what Hillel his mentor did. I know Jesus said: "I am", which can mean that he is God, but he also says that only the Father knows some stuff and that he is underneath the Father. How do you know he is God ?

If this is too much, tell me. My head just has lots of questions.

Interesting question. I don't think anyone (well most anyone) would choose to be gay, even my gay friends have told me that! Whether it is by divine design, chemical reaction, or some form of birth defect, I don't know. I think some people are more predisposed to it than others and in some people environment can play an influence.

That said, I think there is a very distinct difference between being gay and engaging in homosexual activities. You are what you are. You can't help the desires that come to you naturally, but you do have a choice on how you act on them. Regardless of what desire we are talking about, I think that is what defines us individually. We all have desires that whether through personal belief or social convention are considered 'wrong.' What is important is how we act on them.

There's a big difference though. Knowing murdering is wrong or knowing not having sex before marriage is wrong, is not the same as telling you that you are wrong. Not that you answered one question wrong, but that you're built wrong. Acting on a false desire (gay men marrying women or gay women marrying men) may lead to a very sad life for the couple but also for the children. You might be going to heaven if you don't do anything else wrong, but you'd be living in hell now.

As a Christian, I do believe that the Christian story is The Truth, and any time I can help someone else to come to that belief is a great day. However, I am respectful of other people's beliefs. They have the right to believe as they choose, and I will not only respect that, but defend it as well.

Isn't it the duty of Christians to pass on the word of Christ ?
Wouldn't it go against your beliefs if you don't show other people the way of Truth ?
As I see it, until I might get a clearer picture, I see everyone choosing what path their Christianity is, but I'll talk about that a bit later.

Also, since you don't like statistics and I understand your view on gay marriages, most of that is ok, except for ...
Is it calling a marriage that bothers you ? Or is it the contract ?

Most of these can be attributed more to cultural differences than religious ones. Look at Islam or Hindu's, or even Jews. All have had periods where one group has persecuted another for various reasons, often using religious difference simply as a guise.

Yes, but Christians are one of the only ones who've persecuted people of the same faith...
Islam converted by force. Jews conquered by force. I don't know much about Hindus.

Have you read them all? I have (well, maybe not all, but all the ones that have been translated and published). I was scared shitless that reading some of the non canonical Gospels would shake the core of my beliefs.

There are only a handful, that even back then, they felt were truly Apolistic (IE written by someone that had actually known Jesus). Some were known to have been written (not just written down, but new works) well after the death of Jesus and most of his disciples. Take the Gospel of Judas for instance.

What I found though was that while I understand the reasons many were left out (For instance Thomas IIRC, while interesting, is just a list of sayings of Jesus, most of which don't make sense without context), overall they strengthened my faith. A lot. Because there was nothing that hugely different in them. Sure the Gnostic ones focus more on self-awareness and less on the crucifixion and resurrection, but they all still are fundamentally about the same thing, turning away from sin and becoming one with God. Whether that is through blind acceptance of Christ's sacrifice or through self-awareness, I don't see much different. The journey is different, but the destination is the same.

No, I haven't, but reading things on my own, will just lead to an extra interpretation and I believe the same documents have enough interpretations already.

You mention that gospels were written after Jesus' death. According to what I've read, all of them were. The originals might have not, but the latest found were at least 30 years or so after Jesus' death. Also, the gospel of Judas, which is the only one I really know about, from National Geographic, tells a completely different tale. Still, even if they all told about the same tale, why were they left out? Are some apostles more important than others? If so, by whose account ? Every gospel tells about the same story, but they do change in tone, in strength and have different choices of words sometimes.

The gospels of the gnostics are also completely different, not even talking about Jesus' death and resurrection. Isn't that what's so important about Jesus, that he died for humanity's sins and then resurrected?

And I would expect that Christ would show more than one path to that ultimate salvation. Even if you only read the canonical Gospels, he was a master of crafting his message to his audience, so that who ever he was speaking to could understand the end message. That's one reason why there are inconsistencies. Again, the destination is the same.

But the canonical Gospels weren't written by him. They were written by mere humans like you and me. I want you to try something, I even did once. Watch a movie and pay close attention to all the details about how everything happened. Next day write things they said down. Things important to you. Tell me how much of it you get right ?

Now translate that into a document of massive importance, where every word matters. Imagine this with the Bible. Tell me what you think about this...

I think if you really examine it, you'll find that the core beliefs are all much the same. There are some outliers, but fundamentally they all believe one thing: That only through acceptance of Christ as your savior will you achieve salvation. As my pastor once said "The rest is just fluff designed to get you there."

So the belief in Jesus is the only thing that matters in Christianity ?

Is this different than any other major religion? The Jews killed large amounts of non-believers in the OT. The Romans (Pagan) brutally persecuted the Christians for hundreds of years. The Muslims persecuted the Christians in territories they conquered. Don't confuse the actions of the Church members with the religion itself. People have always been able to use religion (of any form) to commit unspeakable acts.

I already said, it's mostly the Christian on Christian persecution that bothers me, even though I don't condone violence at all.
Of course the people and the religion aren't the same. There is the problem that Christianity doesn't agree with itself though. As witnessed by the problems now and the many other splits in it.

You have to find your own faith, but this is true with any religion. If you were evaluating Judaism, would it bother you that there are Hasidic Jews, Orthodox Jews, Reformed Jews, etc.? Or Islam that there are Sunni and Shite? Or the various different forms of Paganism?

Yes it would. I have trouble with most organized religions of today, since the more I read about it the more I see they've all been corrupted. Different forms of paganism can't really bother me, since I have no idea about them.
Islam's Sunni,Shia and other forms are actually still much closer together than let's say the Orthodox church and the Anglican Church.
Also, Judaism is split Ashkenazim and Seferadim. But like Islam, until more recently with the Reformed Jews, was much closer to each other than Christianity's churches.

Like I said above though, it all bothers me. And talking about others isn't an excuse for one's own religion. Since we're currently evaluating Christianity, this bothers me about Christianity, since it is split about so many issues.

As humans, we all see things differently, even if we are looking at the exact same thing. It kind of reminds me of another thing my pastor said about the Bible. In addressing the various inconsistencies and such, he summed it up as "The Bible is man's imperfect attempt to recreate God's perfect word."

Except, that according to Islam the Qu'ran is Gabriel's divinely inspired word written down by Muhammed. And the Torah/Pentateuch is the divine word of God to Moses.
All of Christianity is written on basis of witnesses' accounts. There isn't even a book of Jesus or anything that he wrote. Everything is based upon humans' words.

(I can write a book about someone and ask five or six friends to do the same with slightly different tones.)

A nice dose of skepticism is a healthy thing. Personally, I find those that follow in blind obedience to be disingenuous. I've gone through two major faith questioning periods of my life, and in both cases, my faith has come out stronger in the end due to it.

I think I'm ODing on skepticism though :(

Anytime you want to ask questions, feel free. I don't claim to be right all the time, but I'll always be honest with what I believe! Good luck!

I hope I don't sound too harsh about your religion, I also don't do this so you can doubt yourself. I'm just trying to learn myself.

That there are churches want to ignore some of the clearest scripture in the Bible for their own convenience and justify wrong as right is no surprise, its been going on since at least the first century. Paul warned to be aware of wolves in sheep's clothing..who have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof. In from Paul's writing we get that expression on this very kind of issue.

That's part of my problem. If even after 50 years, they couldn't get it right? How can it be right now ?

Don't want to get too deep into the gay marriage debate, but yes I am against it. I am for legalized domestic partnerships. You already can do 90% of what they cover anyhow (it just takes a lot of paperwork), and the few other things (immigration issues, joint tax filing, health benefits) I would support anyway, so I don't see an issue. The problem with calling it a marriage is that it opens up a lot of harsh emotions on both sides, and it fundamentally comes down to a question that simply can't be proven by either side: Is the relationship between a man and a woman the same as the relationship between two people of the same sex?

That's exactly the same how I feel about it. For me the word marriage refers to the bond between a man and a woman. So it's only a word thing for me, because they can have all the duties and rights people have in a marriage.
That's the weird thing in Belgium: They don't have all the same rights and duties, but they call it a marriage. Conflicts a lot with my pov

I think people are slightly missing the point - it's largely irrelevant whether homosexuality, or practise thereof, is a sin. If you had to be free of sin to be a priest then we wouldn't ever have any.

The problem is more whether you allow something in the priesthood that causes other people offence or not. In the NT Paul gives an example of eating meat (presumably pork) - permissible under Christian guidance, but offensive to Jews. As a result even though he can eat meat he chooses not to, out of respect for the Jewish law and the offence and concern it would cause for others.

The ordination of the openly practising gay bishop in America was considered unhelpful for exactly that reason - whether or not it was a sin, it was not helpful to just push ahead with your own beliefs when they might cause offence to others. At the last Lambeth conference it was decided best not to ordain openly practising gay bishops for this reason as well.

Very good point; wish I'd thought of it!! :)

Except that if homosexuality was not a sin, it would not matter if priests were gay or not. The whole point is how grave the sin is and how people view it.
If the it's a sin that is like any other then gay priests should not be such a big deal, since everyone sins. If homosexuality is an abomination as was presented by the church and the bible, then gay priests would be very bad.

Back
Top Bottom