British anti-Americanism 'based on misconceptions'

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
Thought this was interesting:

British anti-Americanism 'based on misconceptions

A poll of nearly 2,000 Britons by YouGov/PHI found that 70 per cent of respondents incorrectly said it was true that the US had done a worse job than the European Union in reducing carbon emissions since 2000. More than 50 per cent presumed that polygamy was legal in the US, when it is illegal in all 50 states.

The survey showed that a majority agreed with the false statement that since the Second World War the US had more often sided with non-Muslims when they had come into conflict with Muslims. In fact in 11 out of 12 major conflicts between Muslims and non-Muslims, Muslims and secular forces, or Arabs and non-Arabs, the US has sided with the former group. Those conflicts included Turkey and Greece, Bosnia and Yugoslavia, and and Kosovo and Yugoslavia.

Asked if it was true that "from 1973 to 1990 the United States sold Saddam Hussein more than a quarter of his weapons," 80 per cent of British respondents said yes. However the US sold just 0.46 per cent of Saddam's arsenal to him, compared to Russia's 57 per cent, France's 13 per cent and China's 12 per cent.

Almost a third of Britons believe that "Americans who have not paid their hospitals fees or insurance premiums are not entitled to emergency medical care"; by law such treatment must be provided.

The basic train of thought goes "You elected George Bush" -> "You must have done anything else horrible that I can think of"

It's hard to get past him really. If Obama gets in I'm sure we'll start associated America with nice things again.

I second what Benedict said. There have always been some anti-americanism in Sweden, but since George W. Bush it really hit rock bottom. With an Obama or two, that reputation might have a chance to be repaired, but I doubt it will ever again be the same. The country is too divided to be kept together any longer.

Hm. I'm pretty sure that you could get a similar result on just about any commonly held opinion you'd like, simply by picking your questions right. People don't really know that much about stuff. I take quizzes like this when I come across them, and I very rarely score full marks -- and I'm pretty certain I'm better informed than the average guy on the street.

I second what Benedict said. There have always been some anti-americanism in Sweden, but since George W. Bush it really hit rock bottom. With an Obama or two, that reputation might have a chance to be repaired, but I doubt it will ever again be the same. The country is too divided to be kept together any longer.

I'm more positive about it's scope to be repaired with some decent presidents. I felt very positive about America with Clinton in charge and it suddenly fell away with Bush, the same could happen in reverse easily enough.

Ultimately there's things about America that are really great and things about it that are absolutely terrible, with a president that embodies absolutely everything bad about america we're reminded of the worst and forget the best, but with someone like Obama who embodies everything the rest of the world likes about america it'd be the other way round.

Even beyond that there'd be such a symbolic "fuck you" from america if he didn't get in, like you were saying you couldn't give a fuck about the rest of us or even would prefer that we didn't like you, which is hardly conducive to good international relations (note I'm not saying you shouldn't elect for the good of your own country, just that one option says that you feel the good of your country is in engaging with the rest of the world and the other says that you feel the good of your country is in going "well fuck you world")

Almost a third of Britons believe that "Americans who have not paid their hospitals fees or insurance premiums are not entitled to emergency medical care"; by law such treatment must be provided.

What's about that woman that died in a hispital ambulance not too long ago ?

The law says it must be done, but do the hospitals follow it ? Do they even have the sheer time for the people ?

What about mormons as well, aren't they big polygamists? As well as child abusers etc.

Yes and no for both of your questions Alrik & Benedict. While I may not have every fact correct, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

@Arik: Emergency rooms are overwhelmed and have frequent abuses and the situation is worsening. Nonetheless, they are required by law to treat anyone who shows up whether they have means or not to pay for it. It just takes forever and the level of care can be very perfunctory. But yes, hospitals do follow it.

@Benedict: The Mormons have two churches since the twentieth century. The most prominent one to which most Mormons belong does not permit polygamy. (It's called the Reorganized Church of the Latter Day Saints, or something)

The original church which still allows it is now considered a sect or cult, and is very limited in membership. Mormons as a whole no longer practice polygamy, which is illegal. Outside of Utah and California, it's not a big religious movement here, though not for want of trying. One of the cornerstones of the Mormon church as it was once explained to me by a young zealot, is proselytizing, and it's mandatory for all young Mormon males to spend two years I believe going door to door on bicycles or in some other way serving in the spread of the religion. I personally have a lot less respect for it than I do for other sects because of it's extremely bloody history and patriarchal worldview and think it's a cult either way, but freedom of religion is freedom of religion, and it is gaining more mainstream acceptance here because of an emphasis on "family values."

What's about that woman that died in a hispital ambulance not too long ago ?

The law says it must be done, but do the hospitals follow it ? Do they even have the sheer time for the people ?

Not sure which story that was. Are you referring to the mentally unstable woman that died in the waiting room?

No one is saying that the care is perfect, but it's not like the hospital can legally prevent them from receiving care. Even with a socialized approach, you're going to hear the occasional story like this.

Yeah, the Mormons had to give up polygamy and Utah had to outlaw it for Utah to become a state.

I personally have a lot less respect for it than I do for other sects because of it's extremely bloody history and patriarchal worldview and think it's a cult either way, but freedom of religion is freedom of religion, and it is gaining more mainstream acceptance here because of an emphasis on "family values."

Family values like accomplice rape, incest & paedophilia? ;)

Plenty of americans sure do like things wholesome, as long as they're white and christian eh?

Isn't McCain's VP a mormon? A bit worrying for a mormon to be in a position to become president and all he needs is for a comparatively unwell septegenarian to die :nervous:

Isn't McCain's VP a mormon? A bit worrying for a mormon to be in a position to become president and all he needs is for a comparatively unwell septegenarian to die :nervous:

McCain hasnt named his VP candidate yet, and Romney (the Mormon who finished second in the Republican primaries) have plenty of factors going against him...

Family values like accomplice rape, incest & paedophilia? ;)

Plenty of americans sure do like things wholesome, as long as they're white and christian eh?

I'm pretty sure the guy in your article is doing jail time atm and is the head of that splinter group in Texas that was in the news recently for child marriage and polygamy. This is not the Mormon Church that Romney belongs to---that one is more mainstream and advocates the usual Christian palette of Jesus saves, have lots of kids and no divorce, hard work gets you to heaven, and heretics burn in hell. Pretty normal stuff compared to the sect.

Romney's on McCain's short list, but he could just as easily pick Lieberman the super pro-Israel/pro Iraq war advocate or Jindahl, the fundamentalist christian part-time exorcist--they're all equally scary to me.

McCain hasnt named his VP candidate yet, and Romney (the Mormon who finished second in the Republican primaries) have plenty of factors going against him...

Thank god for that, it'd still be pretty unfortunate if he did get in but at least romney's that bit further away.

(note I'm not saying you shouldn't elect for the good of your own country, just that one option says that you feel the good of your country is in engaging with the rest of the world and the other says that you feel the good of your country is in going "well fuck you world")
I think you're horribly oversimplifying the choices (even the one for Obama the Savior), but I'll admit that the latter has a certain appeal to me.

That's MR. Obama the Saviour to you, buddy.:beadyeyed:

I think you're horribly oversimplifying the choices (even the one for Obama the Savior), but I'll admit that the latter has a certain appeal to me.

I would say that, from an international perspective, that is a pretty good reflection of how the choices will be viewed. We HATE Bush and absolutely everything he stands for and haven't really seen anything to suggest McCain would be materially different. We know you know that we HATE him, and know you know that we love obama.

One choice is symbolic of an america that wants to engage with the world, another is symbolic of an arrogant america that wants to drive us further away. Sure there's other issues, particularly for you people locally, but in terms of what you as a country will be saying about your attitude to the rest of the world the differences are pretty stark.

I'm sure that's a really smart move, given your huge level of debt and dependency on Chinese manufacturing and Arabian oil. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's plenty of exceptionalism all over the planet and national views are a kind of deception of the self with regards to importance/power. There's probably a clash there between Britons and Americans, personally I'd rather judge people on their own individual merits than some kind of constructed image you see in the media. I guess pride is the simple answer, but really, if you took 2000 random Americans and asked them questions about Briton I'm sure the results would probably be similar.

About the carbon emissions -> Logic tells me that's correct: The EU almost can't do anything more the last few years since there are a lot more restrictions at the EU. Not so long ago I heard Bush pleading for the use of coal in energy plants again. When you take a survey after that all people will logically assume that the EU does a far better job the last few years.

The weapon selling thing is because of the misinterpretation that Sadam and Afghanistan are the same -> Its in the war against the Sovjet Union that the USA supported Afghanistan and supplied them weapons and training.

About the medical care -> What is defined by 'emergency'? A donor hart? (Refering to a movie with Denzel)

But what we, Europeans, specially don't like are the interfering with the memberships of the EU. Turkey will never be a part of it when I have to chose for it. Same goes up for that missile defense shield. I see it as an act of war -> Russia is right to react upon this, because it does mean that it will make the balance unstable.

Back
Top Bottom