BG3 Encumbrance Bug

HellRazor

Sentinel
Ugh. My main character is permanently encumbered (even when carrying absolutely nothing). I googled it and it appears to be a bug. Apparently you can fix it if you let your character die and then resurrect him, but I am lacking the 200 GP required to do so at camp. I wonder if Larian is tracking this and if a fix is forthcoming.

This is a new one for me. How is it possible you don't have 200 GP? I have thousands just from selling all the junk I pick up. Money has never been an issue for me with this game.

I just spent all my gold and traded most items to upgrade the armor and weapons for my party before I realized my main character's encumbrance was a bug. And I'm in the middle of a tough battle with phase spiders where my main character's lack of movement is making it hard to win (my main is a Paladin and the party's tank). I guess I can leave, try to fix the bug, and find my way back to the cave I am in, but it's a huge pain in the ass!

Last edited:
Reload from before you just sold everything then?
I have 25 quickaves, there are autosaves and I save the game at several other points.

You should at least have all the autosaves.
I save regularly, but I think my character has been bugged with this for quite a while and restoring from before the bug would set me back HOURS.

Someone in one of the threads about this said that overloading the character to way beyond the actual normal encumbrance limit, and then removing all that stuff, might "reset" the character's encumbrance state to normal. I'm getting ready to try that to see if it works. * Fingers crossed *

I'm not sure exactly what triggered the bug. It must be uncommon or a lot more people would be experiencing it. I think it might have started when I first equipped chainmail on my character, but I'm not positive.

I'm confused. How did you go that long without noticing that he/she was encumbered?
I knew he was encumbered but I thought it was just because the armor was heavy. I only discovered the bug when I tried to change armor and drop items.

I save regularly, but I think my character has been bugged with this for quite a while and restoring from before the bug would set me back HOURS.

Someone in one of the threads about this said that overloading the character to way beyond the actual normal encumbrance limit, and then removing all that stuff, might "reset" the character's encumbrance state to normal. I'm getting ready to try that to see if it works. * Fingers crossed *

I'm not sure exactly what triggered the bug. It must be uncommon or a lot more people would be experiencing it. I think it might have started when I first equipped chainmail on my character, but I'm not positive.
I meant before you traded your items.

Ugh. My main character is permanently encumbered (even when carrying absolutely nothing). I googled it and it appears to be a bug. Apparently you can fix it if you let your character die and then resurrect him, but I am lacking the 200 GP required to do so at camp. I wonder if Larian is tracking this and if a fix is forthcoming.
Have you reported the bug (from the launcher)? Include a save file. At least, it will give them data to fix the bugs for the others, or you later if that happens again. :)

For information, your character and your companions each start with a spell of Revivify in their inventory, and I suppose the other potential companions that join later have one too. Something else to try is respec your character at camp, it will only cost half (I think it's 100 gp).

I think it might have been triggered by putting several items in a chest while it was in my inventory, and then stashing the chest at camp.

Back
Top Bottom