Dragon's Dogma 2 - Released

Last edited:
'Either variable or max 30 FPS'? Why not let the user set the max FPS parameter? Do they fear it'll never be above 30? I think it's possible to set that on the NVIDIA panel, though.
That option is for consoles not PC.

I’m glad they are addressing some of the complaints and performance specifically. I hope they don’t go to far the other way though and try to please everyone.

Great Griffon.jpg

Just my latest encounter with a Great Griffon

Like what? Are you worried they might give people more than 1 save slot?
Nah, nothing that crazy. :LOL:

I just don’t want them to back track on some of their design decisions such as difficulty or fast travel. I’d hate to see them add port crystals or dump a bunch of ferry stones or camping supplies in the game.

I don’t necessarily think they will I’m more thinking out loud but they did give access to the player home earlier to try and make the early game a little easier so you never know.

In Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen they added an "Infinite Ferrystone" that allowed permanent, unhindered fast travel and pretty much killed the thrill of exploration and travel in the PC version. Also added a bunch of "kill 20 harpies" quests and the like that were completed automatically and rewarded without even having to get back to any NPC, which made getting currency trivial and kinda threw off the balance and economy of the game. It was a bit like playing with official cheatmode.

Very much hope DD2 remains in the shape it is now, design-wise, at least until I finish it.

A completely optional fast travel system doesn't affect exploration whatsoever.

I used to be hardcore against fast travel in games until I realized that there are times where I could be doing something more productive than backtracking across the same area for the 15th time.

The one game where I really felt the absence and then the presence of fast travel was in Dark Souls 1.
For a very solid chunk of the game you don't have fast travel between the bonfires, and the world if dangerous as hell, especially during that part.
So you had to commit to switching bonfires. And it really made the whole trek much more interesting, because it was difficult and enemies respawned.

Also, the fact that the world was so intertwined, and messed with your head, meant you couldn't just run past enemies, since you could end up somewhere you didn't want to end up.
It was a challenge building a mental model of where everything was in the world. But it was also fun.

Too bad you can also sort of game the system, and make sure to never walk around with souls/money on your character.
At one point I was so obsessed and sick of dying and losing currency that if I had gathered over 50% of the needed currency for the next level-up, or next item upgrade, I would just farm somewhere where it was safe, until I got enough to invest it, and not lose it.

The point of equilibrium for me is making the travel interesting and eventful. In a game like Dark Souls, where you're mostly confined to narrow paths there's no real exploration or serendipity, so I can see how fast travel is more of a necessary feature.

Games with open worlds that make exploration a core part of the enjoyment, fast travel effectively works against the player's fun. Sometimes you're on your way to a quest and end up in some hidden dungeon off the path, with a secret boss fight at the end of it and a piece of loot that has unique properties and looks amazing, and suddenly you had more fun than you could anticipate, and fast travelling would have denied you that opportunity.

Having consumables for "I really want to skip this one trip" is convenient, I suppose, though I have only used one Ferrystone so far in Dragon's Dogma due to the Oxcart system working really well to move you between settlements at basically no cost.

That should end all those discussions about microtransactions. 😂

• Adds x255 Elite & Explorer Camp Kit, Wakestones, Rift Cystals, Farrystones, Beetles and more to the shops in Vernworth
  • [...]

I'm fine with things the way they are, re: fast travel. If it's anything like the first, you eventually get enough resources that ferry stones aren't too difficult to get hold of or buy. But you have to earn it.
In the meantime you do some good exploring and finding short cuts to places that you thought you had to take the long way to, and that's part of the fun, at least at the beginning.
Then it becomes a matter of do you save up for ferry stones or do you use the ox carts (which are cheaper, but limited in destination, and there is a high risk of an encounter on the way).

That said, even with unrestricted ferry stones (or a reusable one), there are only limited places you can teleport to. Basically just the major towns and wherever you place a port crystal. Even in DD - Dark Arisen when I had that unlimited use stone it wasn't like travel had become trivial - you still had to do plenty of treking in at least one direction. If you thought you might be returning to a place a lot then you'd put one of your limited supply of port crystals there. So, as long as port crystals and teleport destinations aren't unrestricted, I think it's still in the spirit of the game.

The patch is up:

We have released an update including the following modifications and fixes:

* Adding the option to start a new game when save data already exists.
* Changing the number of "Art of Metamorphosis" items available at Pawn Guilds in the game to 99.
* Making the quest that allows players to acquire their own dwelling (where they can save and rest) available earlier in the game.
* Improving quality when DLSS SUPER RESOLUTION is enabled.
* Fixing an issue related to the display of models under some specific settings.
* Miscellaneous text display issues.
* Miscellaneous bug fixes.

That was fast. I still don't understand how they ever released it like that to begin with, but at least they were quick to rectify it.

Back
Top Bottom