Ludus Mortis mini review

Drithius

Magic & Loss
header.jpg

If the idea of a dungeon crawler, turn-based blobber appeals to you, read on. Ludus Mortis takes the hefty character customization system borne out of the developer's Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle and expands it to four characters.

Some notable features include:
  • 14 class variants, each with strengths and limitations. Because of how passive, weapon, and spell abilities become available only at certain skill thresholds (which are in turn only available to certain classes), there can be great variety in a party's makeup.​
  • Derived from your base stats, resists, action points, initiative, and other facets of your character offer plenty of progression. Despite this, the enemy tactics are predominantly melee attacks (albeit with some 'charged-up' moves), so the resists portion of that does not come into play too often unfortunately.​

So what does the actual game entail? You take on missions from your Ludus (home base). If you've played Starcrawlers, it's the same setup. Each mission has you traipsing through the Roman underbelly seeking to rid the empire of Demons and Undead. When a mission's goal is complete, you exit the dungeon via menu and reap your rewards - both in the items you found and the experience you gained. Your characters' progression runs on experience in all aspects. It takes experiences to level up (obviously), but it also takes experience to raise your individual skills and potentially increase your stats.

The mission maps can be immense...
4m7KI48.png

The enemies are fun, albeit of limited variety...
PPXGTNr.png

And the character building is gratifying...
7DuTWE8.png

One additional note, there are some thought puzzles but they are fairly basic and straight forward. Frustrating and obtuse scavenger hunts are not to be found in this title - there's Operencia if you're a fan of those!

All in all, this game has been a welcome surprise. It's the best blobber I've played since Starcrawlers and M&M: Legacy. At ~$15, it's an absolute steal if you are a fan of the genre.

Last edited:
Are the maps procedurally generated? Hope not.

Are the maps procedurally generated? Hope not.
The main (and side) maps are all static. You can return to these should you fail in a prior try or you simply wish to build up some experience or item hunt. The doors unlocked in prior runs remain open (and map remains discovered), so subsequent clears proceed much faster.

There is a single, completely optional procedurally-generated dungeon for a quick XP trip if you so wish.

Last edited:
This looks really good and I'm pleased to read that the maps are static. I'll likely be trying this one out soonish, and thanks for the info about this game, I truly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom