The Boxing Thread

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
I thought I'd put this in here, as I think the folks that have shown interest in the subject tend to be in here, and it can be a controversial sport. Personally, though I completely understand some people's objections to the brutality, I see it as a positive thing on the whole. I think a society in which there is no violent conflict and contest is a pipe-dream, and I know of a lot of kids that were pulled out of dark situations by learning some self-discipline and channeling their energy that way.

Here's an interview with Tyson Fury that I watched recently. As he talks about, he went through a very bad patch and was not a nice person. I think I saw a bit too much of him during that period, and I couldn't stand him. But hearing him talk about his struggles, I've changed my take on him. If nothing else, he is refreshingly real in a world of relentless bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUH9N3S9PY

Fury is a unique heavyweight and not just in terms of his personality, which is more mundane than his physicality and style in the ring.

I'm a bit of a fan of the guy all around, though I know there are unsavory aspects one can point to. Maybe it's because I mostly missed Fury's earlier eager descent into self destruction, but I also know you have to give people enough slack to change or they never will.

Also, abstinence never works. Some kind of outlet must be found for all aspects of human nature, including its baser, for lack of a better term, elements. You won't create a non-violent society by denying human nature and advocating abstinence, just as you won't save your teen daughter's virtue by preaching the same nonsense.

Ripper suckered punched me. I can't keep quiet about boxing…or human nature, which I likely understand far less than I pretend to, but it seems I just can't quit the fight.

Yeah, I'm a bit old-fashioned with the view that a lot of young men, in particular, are in need of some self-discipline and self-respect. I've seen boxing provide that. I also think it can help to avoid real violence on the streets, in many cases. I think when a young guy feels challenged, there's a kind of panic that sets in, which often leads to a volatile and unpredictable aggression. When he knows he's been training hard and can handle himself, he has a sense of having his shit together. He thinks about it, and often concludes that the guy being lairy isn't worth it - the police will be round, and he doesn't need it.

Like Fury said, the best advice he can muster is to stay out of trouble, and I think there's a lot of folks in the boxing gym with that kind of head on them.

Last edited:
I don't think boxing is that controversial tbh (except for some of the judging).

I like Fury a lot. I thought he was sort of nuts and kind of a douchebag at first, but he gained my respect pretty fast. I've never seen a heavyweight take some of the shots he has and keep going.

Outside of boxing, he seems like a genuinely good guy and super passionate about his family. He's been with his wife since they were teenagers, and they have 6 kids. Who has 6 kids with the same woman nowadays? :)

I don't think boxing is that controversial tbh (except for some of the judging).

Yeah, I was just being sort of preemptively lazy. Some folks do feel quite strongly about it, and I feel more relaxed about rambling about random stuff in here, rather than starting a contentious discussion in the main forum.

A lot of the things Fury is saying these days I have far more respect for. One of the things I disagree with in traveler culture is that they tend not to care much for education, and pull their kids out of school early to supposedly home-school them, but really put them to work. That's why he says he's been in business since he was twelve years old. But Fury is calling people with that attitude "the Dream Killers", and says that a traveler upbringing combined with a proper education would make someone unstoppable. I think that's a great attitude, and I hope he has enough respect that he will influence people.

Back
Top Bottom