The Science Thread

*Sighs*

But @JDR13. A personal question you don't have to answer: According to the net it's now 03 am in Florida. Do you ever sleep?

pibbuR who is convinced that we've never landed on Mars.

But @JDR13. A personal question you don't have to answer: According to the net it's now 03 am in Florida. Do you ever sleep?
Heh.. I actually didn't realize it was that late until you mentioned it. I went out with some friends tonight, and I'm still a little energized from certain beverages.

With that said, I think I'll be signing off for a bit...

I rember exactly where I was that day in '69.

Fascinating/strange that unlike now, back then it took only 8 years from America's first man in space to the moon landing. But then there was the competion with the Sovjets, NASA (probably) had far more money (relatively speaking), and they were willing to take more risks. As far as I remember, one of the Apollo 8 astronauts said he expected a 50% chance of returning home.

pibbuR who like the jdr (version 13.0) is excited about the Japanese contribution.
I'm not sure about the more risk bit. From what I read, the Soviet leaders had a complete disregard for safety during their space programme; the deadline was the only priority - they might even have coined the word ;).

But it was risky for everyone nonetheless, as you said. They must have been insanely brave.

T Coronae Borealis is a recurring nova system. Two stars orbiting each other, around 89 million km apart. One of them a red star, the other a white dwarf. The red one is leaking material to the white one which eventually will pass 1.4 solar mass (the so called Chandrasekhar limit) causing an eruption. And then it starts again. On the average it erupts roughly every 79th year. Which means it's likely to erupt again sometimes between April and September this year. It won't be like what happens when Betelgeuse goes "boom", but it should be visible to the naked eye. If you know where to look.

pibbuR who hopes the clouds will open up some time during this period.

"Unable to repair the chip, the team decided to place the affected code elsewhere"

pibbuR who wonders if the code is C (developed before launching Voyager). Probably not. Then he wonders if there are watchers knowing Voyager assembly.
It's assembly and an intepreter (like Apollo), on new custom processors.

I looked a little into it. NASA tells us there were several custom processors on the Voyager 1:
  • Computer Command System (CCS) - 18-bit word, interrupt type processors (2) with 4096 words each of plated wire, non-volatile memory.
  • Flight Data System (FDS) - 16-bit word machine (2) with modular memories and 8198 words each
  • Attitude and Articulation Control System (AACS) - 18-bit word machines (2) with 4096 words each.
(Don't be mislead by the erroneous information on several websites stating the processor is an RCA 1802.)

Computers in Spaceflight: The NASA Experience (1988, from a NASA contractor) gives more details on the FDS processors on pp. 185-190, with more insight on the computer architecture on p. 189. BTW, it's a hell of a good document if you want to dig into the subject. It hints at an assembler, which is confirmed in Voyager Interstellar Mission: Challenges of Flying a Very Old Spacecraft on a Very Long Mission (2016, from Jet Propulsion Lab itself) explaining all the challenges of long space missions and listing the interventions on Voyager 1 & 2, and in which we can read on p. 6:
Both the AACS and FDS use assembly language. The CCS uses assembly language and Voyager-unique pseudo code (interpreter). As a result, it is difficult to attract younger programmers to join the project.

Wikipedia and other websites have erroneously stated it was FORTRAN, then C, but this is the software used on Earth to process the received data, not on the probes (according to this Wired article, which might be a leap of faith). I see this error on Wikipedia has been recently corrected.

PS: The Computers in Spaceflight document above mentions that the first high-level language was used for Galileo (p. 194). It's all relative, since they talk about FORTH, HAL, and macros (and FORTRAN for prototyping). ;)

PS: The Computers in Spaceflight document above mentions that the first high-level language was used for Galileo (p. 194). It's all relative, since they talk about FORTH, HAL, and macros (and FORTRAN for prototyping). ;)
HAL 9000, obviously.

pibbuR singing Daisy, Daisy.....

PS. It is BTW fascinating/disturbing all those objects we can't repair because they're too far away. We could fix Hubble (with an effort). But Voyager, James Webb, Parker and the Mars rovers are out of reach. DS

PPS. The latter is BTW 2 one of the reasons I think humans should not go to Mars. Physical problems that cannot be fixed by the (for a time) natives (for instance food rockets missing target) aren't exactly easy to solve. There's no way Matt Damon could have survived. DS.

PPS. NB! I definitely hope humans will go there (before I hopefully reach level 90) DS

Last edited:
There's no way Matt Damon could have survived.
Oh. I didn't know that film, but I'll fix this today, thanks for the reference! Since Saving Private Ryan, it seems this actor needs rescuing now and then. ;)

Yes, they'll need slightly mad (or courageous) people for their first settlements on Mars. Even on the Moon. If the Russians and the Chinese go on with their nuclear-powered ILRS station project, we'll see how they cope (if they haven't thrown all the nuclear stuff at us first, at this point). But with hardware made in China and Russia, what could possibly go wrong?

Back
Top Bottom