Yecchy tech(ie)s

pibbuR

Feeling ... lonely?
In case you haven't noticed. Sometimes tech companies do things we don't like. Here is a thread about that.

HP, supplier of printers. Yeeeccch!

Because:
1. Instant ink subscription.
HP recommends it, and it is cheaper than retail price for cartridges. A good deal. However. The the thing is, if you cancel said subscription, the ink cartridges you've already got no longer works. Because the printer phones home to verify everything is in order. If not - ouch! Read about it here: https://hothardware.com/news/hp-printers-accused-sketchy-ink-subscriptions

2. Printer firmware upgrade.
As long as they're not riddled with bugs, firmware updates should be a good thing. However. The thing is: The last one, according to HP to "protect the quality of customer experience", "maintain integrity of printing systems", probably "add security", for some reason also blocks using 3rd party cartridges. Ouch! Read about it here: https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/11/23635168/hp-printer-update-brick-third-party-ink-dynamic-security

Now, in general, my impression is that the cheaper the printer, the steeper the price of cartridges. No surprise, frankly I don't think the companies earn very much from the sale of an ultra cheap printer, the revenue comes from the cartridges. But still....

Which is why I bought this one:

22132-productpicture-lores-en-l6170_hero

The Epson (EcoTank) ET-3750 printer-scanner-copier. It's not cheap, but in stead of printer specific cartridges, it's equipped with fairly large ink tanks (to the lower right). And it comes (came, this model is no longer for sale, but is supported) with two sets of ink capsules. They claim that with normal use, the supplied ink should last for more than 3 years. I guess I will not have to buy new ink for many more years than. In total it may still be more expensive that buying a low price printer with (annoyingly) high priced ink. But the feature will make the printer last much, longer, which is better for the environment. And that's important to me.

pibbuR who sadly didn't get any money for posting this.

PS. Sometimes game companies do yeecchy things. We already have threads for that. But of course you post whatever you like, I (sadly?) don't own the thread. DS.

Back
Top Bottom