Fallout - 10th Anniversary - Desslock Interview with Tim Cain

magerette

Hedgewitch
Dark Savant writes in to advise us of this ten year old interview with Tim Cain put up in honor of the original Fallout's tenth anniversary at No Mutants Allowed.
Background:
Desslock is a game journalist some of us know for running Desslock's RPG News site at GameSpot and who is currently the RPG columnist for PC Gamer. His RPG News site was launched in early 1997 with an interview he conducted with Tim Cain prior to Fallout's release. The content was later moved to GameSpot where the site would run from 1998 to 2003.

In the spirit of Fallout's 10 year anniversary, Desslock released his 10-year old interview with Tim Cain to No Mutants Allowed.
Some of the material covered:
Desslock: What are two features (perhaps among many) which you believe set Fallout apart from other role-playing games?

Tim Cain:
First, different characters really are different. If you make a stupid character, he will have different responses to NPCs dialog, and therefore the game will take a different spin as certain adventure seeds are denied you. Similarly, starting with low combat skills could easily get you killed in the first adventure seed that is offered, since it involves big, dangerous monsters. Likewise, take a high Luck and you may find things in the wasteland that others cannot...

Second, how you behave in the game really matters. Be a jerk, and people won't barter with you. Save a town and become a hero in their eyes. Join the bad guys and see a different endgame (not necessarily a lose game sequence either). In other words, this is a true role-playing game, and you are responsible for your own actions.
Thanks, Dark Savant!
More information.

Oy, Dark Savant? I sent an email off to that news submit addy Dhruin gave me. Does it not work?

Dhruin is on New Zealand time; the news submit button does work but I don't seem to get them. Dark Savant pm'd me so he got first credit since I'm in the N.A. time zone. : )

's not about credits (I hate being credited for NMA-related news, it looks stupid), I was just worried the addy (not the news submit form, but some news submit email address) wouldn't work period.

But if he simply hasn't seen it yet, that's fine. As long as it works, overall

PS: good interview

I would say odds are he's probably sleeping right now. :)

It *is* a good interview--when I first saw the bit I was hoping it was a new item re: Cain's position at Carbine Studios, but this is solid Fallout background and an interesting read.

Last edited:
Actually, I was asleep but I also don't remember the email - score one point each. :) The address works fine, but do you want to send a test just to be sure? I'm leaving for work now, so don't worry if the reply takes a while.

Seems your mail got stuck in the mail server. I received it ca. 48 hours late.

Back
Top Bottom