1Up - Top Ten Most Wanted PC Games of 2008

Funny, since Dragon Age is long enough to be put on one. And I'd have more hope for it had they used a newer art or screen than the one that's been around for ages ...

And speaking of the DS, they missed out on the new Fire Emblem ...

Funny, since Dragon Age is long enough to be put on one. And I'd have more hope for it had they used a newer art or screen than the one that's been around for ages
There have been newer screenshots of DA than the one they used in the 1Up article, which is, IIRC, from that tech demo they made waaaaay back when... using the NWN engine, no less. Could've picked a better example there, to be sure.

Am betting that many of the good folks at Bioware are regretting the "spiritual successor" line that appeared in the now-removed FAQ, though. The number of times I've seen posts basically praising this game for being BG3 on their boards... :) Still, looks interesting. Am curious as to how well Bio will implement their take on the "opening vignettes" thing. Even if they do it well, I suspect it'll end up being more trouble than it ends up being worth, but we'll see.

Fallout 3... looks to be an action game. It also looks to be much like every other game coming out these days. Considering that neither of those design philosophies was what drew me to the original games (and keeps me coming back to them every so often), F3 looks to be much like Oblivion for me: maybe some day I'll buy it, when I have the hardware for it and nothing else to play. Even the setting, something I particularly liked in the first game especially (the second not so much -- too theme-parkish), looks to be hit and miss. But again... we'll see.

I did find it a little odd that so many of the articles for the games on that top ten list made such heavy use of the name-dropping, though. Why should I care about Game X? Because the people did [Aspect of Tangentially-Related Game Y] are doing [aspect of Game X], of course!

Ehhh... no. It may be the way gaming is going, identifying titles and how good they supposedly are with a producer or a writer -- eerily reminiscent of Hollywood, in fact, with their whole "new Brad Pitt movie" thing where it really doesn't matter what kind of movie it is, just so long as it's got a big name behind it -- but if the best they can say about a game is that it's being developed by so-and-so, it kinda makes me wonder about the actual game.

Back
Top Bottom