Hero-U - Kickstarter update #25

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Another update for Hero-U shows up talking about some interviews, testimonials and the rsks and rewards of backing a Kickstarter game. At this moment they still need to raise 36K in the next 21 hours.
I ran into an interesting post about Kickstarter projects in which the author said that people who support Kickstarter games are stupid because there are no guarantees they will receive anything. He had a point, but...
Kickstarter tracks these things. Many projects ship later than their projected date, but almost all of them do ship. The projects that get funded usually depend on the reputation of the project creator. People who come to the Hero-U project know that Lori and I have a history of delivering what we promise... and more.
There are many kinds of risk. Every game you buy entails risk. If you get that heavily-advertised AAA game, you are putting out $50 to play something that might be a bad game. And it's probably a lot like the last three games you played, because the big publishers love to make sequels.
Here's the risk of NOT supporting a Kickstarter game – If you sit back and decide to wait until the game is released, it might not be made. Most of your money on Kickstarter goes directly into product development. If we come up short of our goal, there is no funding and no game. If we're funded, we promise a game next year. Lori and I made eight adventure-style games at Sierra and Legend, and all of them won approval from both critics and players.
If you like the kind of games Lori and I make – games that applaud heroism and the human spirit – you will win by supporting our drive to make new games for you. Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption will be just the beginning.
Personally, I think that putting $20 into the Hero-U Kickstarter is much less risky than paying $50 for Yet Another First-Person Shooter. And it's way cheaper than spending $13 a month on an MMO subscription.
So far, over 5,150 gamers agree. If you are not yet among them, why not join the winning team? Besides, Tuesday is Eriq Chang's birthday. It wouldn't be a very nice birthday present for his game with us to go unfunded, now would it?
More information.

Yes it will be close. They overcame much more than I expected over the weekend so its possible.

I have issues with comparing $20 toward this vs $50 toward an FPS or $13 for MMO. At least for me its not a straight this or that comparison, it is whether this is worth $20 on its own. Please don't say its only 4 Starbuck's lattes or someone's birthday or whatever when its they are distinct purchasing decisions, at least for me.

Now having said that I've invested based on the high quality updates they have provided and genuine enthusiasm that they show. I'm not even really interested in the game as pitched but I would like to see what they do with it and that is worth $20 to me.

Playing the sympathy card on the last stretch. And it's working :)

Yes it will be close. They overcame much more than I expected over the weekend so its possible.

I have issues with comparing $20 toward this vs $50 toward an FPS or $13 for MMO. At least for me its not a straight this or that comparison, it is whether this is worth $20 on its own. Please don't say its only 4 Starbuck's lattes or someone's birthday or whatever when its they are distinct purchasing decisions, at least for me.

Now having said that I've invested based on the high quality updates they have provided and genuine enthusiasm that they show. I'm not even really interested in the game as pitched but I would like to see what they do with it and that is worth $20 to me.
An MMO is actually cheaper than most games at $13/month, after all, you play MMOs for months while most games I finish in 2 or 3 weeks, so in a period of 3 months I would buy, say, a game a month, which would be a lot more than $13 each

This quote from the reddit might be of interest to the QfG fans among you:
LoriAnnCole said:
[–] We're talking with a couple of companies who are working to secure the rights for a Quest for Glory game from Activision right now. If they get the rights, we will work with them to make sure that QG6 is up to the standards of all the previous games. But Activision isn't making any decisions on the subject. I think they are watching what happens with the Kickstarter Adventure games to see if their is still gold in them thar old Adventure games.

An MMO is actually cheaper than most games at $13/month, after all, you play MMOs for months while most games I finish in 2 or 3 weeks, so in a period of 3 months I would buy, say, a game a month, which would be a lot more than $13 each

Sure, if you don't take in the fact you pay 50 some odd up front for a new mmo.

An MMO is constrained by the very nature of multi-player and therefiore a lot less personal. It is both a different product and a different business model / price structure. There is no comparison.

Back
Top Bottom