Scrolls - New Game Revealed by Minecraft Developers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Screeg sends in news of the next game from Minecraft developers Mojang, titled Scrolls. It's a mix of card-collecting-game, boardgame and has "RPG elements". I went past it yesterday because it appeared to be multiplayer-only but after re-reading, I see they are looking at the "possibility" of single-player. From the Rock, Paper, Shotgun article:
“At the core it’s a collectable card game, but it’s also a board game,” says Jacob. “It’s combining the two. As you place your units or your buildings, or your siege weapons, you place it on the game board to play against your opponent. It’s not only about designing a proper collection of scrolls [cards], and the tactical aspect of that deck, but it’s also about the tactical sense of how to place your units on the game board.”
Players will buy the game, and with that will come a randomised starter deck of scrolls. Should they want more, they can buy additional card packs, as with any other CCG, and of course not know what new cards they’ll receive. And they have many other plans for adding to your deck. “Obviously it’s going to be a multiplayer game,” continues Jacob. “We have a lot of fun ideas for the community. We’re going to let you place your Scrolls in an auction house, trading with other players, and a lot of different multiplayer templates. Ranging from a friendly game, testing out your latest deck, or you may enter a more long-term league, where you get ranked. That can go on for a couple of months. We also plan on having a lot of tournaments. Small ones, and large, like a world championship. We’re talking to some great partners about that.”
More information.

At first thought, and after the awesomeness of Minecraft, I give this a massive "meh" ~ card games at least to me died off over a decade ago. Course there could be something exciting and unique yet to be revealed, so I'll reserve final judgment for then…

I do like tactical games though, so if the cards "scrolls" were to say turn into a neat looking 2D~2.5D model for this board they mentioned…that could be interesting! And then of course if it played like say FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre…nummy…

In the article, they mention that 70% of players surveyed prefer to play alone (that includes me personally), and that if the game meets with any kind of success, they want to implement a single-player campaign that would incorporate more RPG elements and be significantly different than the multiplayer online. Think they also mentioned talks with a published fantasy author.

Anyhoo, based on nothing but the supreme funness of Minecraft, I'm interested.

Back
Top Bottom