Ubisoft gives up on DRM

Not really an ontopic, but seems Ubisoft by removing the draconian DRM decided to finally stop being known as the worst publisher out there. And already known candidate for that throne just made the job easier:
http://www.destructoid.com/ea-boss-proudly-refuses-to-publish-single-player-games-234402.phtml

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119449-EA-Turns-Its-Back-on-Single-Player-Games

Yup, DA3, if ever released will not be DA:O but DA:MMO. Yukk!

What a tool.

I will say that this move greatly improves my willingness to buy Assassin's Creed 3 when it is released and pay full price for it. Nothing else from that would interest me and if they retro patched the Splinter Cell series I could see myself getting some of that.

Yup, DA3, if ever released will not be DA:O but DA:MMO. Yukk!

That was almost foreseeable with the MP part of ME3, lso known as "ME3MMO", cynically speaking.

Edit : Comment under the article of The Escapist :

That's how EA are going to beat piracy, then. They're going to make games that the pirates don't even want.

Last edited:
Frank Gibbeau isn't EA in total. Alice: Madness Returns for example had no multiplayer. So, either it was not Gibbeau's responisbility or he lied.

Hey, was it released before or after his speech ? ;)

A great and tenacious interview on RPS's part. It's shame that the Ubisoft reps gave practically no straight answers when persistently questioned on the efficacy of their defunct DRM.

And I too hope they retroactively get rid of the DRM in Heroes VI. It would be funny if there were a noticeable spike in that game's sales the day that patch is released.

A great and tenacious interview on RPS's part. It's shame that the Ubisoft reps gave practically no straight answers when persistently questioned on the efficacy of their defunct DRM.

And I too hope they retroactively get rid of the DRM in Heroes VI. It would be funny if there were a noticeable spike in that game's sales the day that patch is released.

was there DRM in Heroes 6? I mean, after you install it the first time. I can play fine offline (well, disconnected from the Conflux that is)

Yup, there is DRM in HoMM6.

It's also true that after you register the game online once, you can play the game offline, however:
1. you can't play/load your online saves
2. you can't use dynasty traits, weapons and pets (existing DLC introduced a pet that isn't included in the vanilla game) in offline games
3. you can't peek/use ingame conflux spots (which in most cases has hints and warnings if critical bugs are still unfixed on the current map)
4. features on your online conflux acc (http://heroes-6-conflux.uk.ubi.com/) are utterly useless

The biggest negative issue of this always online although singleplayer DRM is that fan game mods are pretty much impossible to make.

The patch 1.6 be released in a week or two but it will not address any of this as there will be many bugfixes and balance changes. However that's not the last patch planned for the game. On Ubisoft official forum Limbic CEO has his own thread about game changes/patches/enhancements and he stated that there will be also a patch 1.7 in about a month after 1.6, but didn't specify what exactly will that one bring, it's possible always online DRM will be removed with it.

HoMM6 is a great game and I'm still having fun with it. It's not a masterpiece, but it's really well spent money and if they remove draconian DRM, what Drithius speculates will probably become real thing:

Yes there is. Demo contains the tutorial campaign (two maps) and one separate scenario/map.

Also going to get HOMM6 if they get rid of the DRM. Though even so I'm buying it because of the franchise name and not that the game is good.

Maybe after 1-2 expansions some version will be released on GOG like we saw with HOMM5

Has anyone had issues with mp for Splintercell Convictions? Picked up a cheap copy to play with friend who has it and can't connect to the server.

There are many people with same issue.....and yes I did all the port stuff. (If someone found a new fix let me know.) Just curious if any other of their older games are now bugged up in MP.

Back
Top Bottom