Roger Waters The Wall

So, anyone else excited about seeing the film? I just bought my tickets at my local cinema, for the 29th of September showing. I initially bought two tickets, but then I started to regret the placement. So I bought two more in another place, closer to the screen. I now have to find some friends to fill those spots. Shouldn't be much of an issue I think.

But I'm excited. I'm a huge Pink Floyd/Roger Waters fan. He's definitely my most favorite writer and musician. Love hist style, his voice. Again: Very excited! :D

Anyone else?

Here's a great trailer to get excited about!

I know about it, but I'm not much interested in the movie right now. Maybe later on DVD.

I remember that at school we actually watched the movie and did an "the wall performance" afterwards ! :D

I had no idea this was even a thing.

I may be wrong, but I doubt this will be better than the original The Wall.

Without David Gilmour and Alan Parsons, Waters is just a guy with an ego bigger than his talent. The big three albums that were produced were all inspired by the sound that Sid Barret created anyway, which is why Gilmour is needed to replicate. Look at how bad The Final Cut was and what he tried to put out for a single.
Without Waters Pink Floyd reformed and reinvented themselves and set a new bar for live stage performance.

that's just what I think :D

Without David Gilmour and Alan Parsons, Waters is just a guy with an ego bigger than his talent. The big three albums that were produced were all inspired by the sound that Sid Barret created anyway, which is why Gilmour is needed to replicate. Look at how bad The Final Cut was and what he tried to put out for a single.
Without Waters Pink Floyd reformed and reinvented themselves and set a new bar for live stage performance.

that's just what I think :D

Oh, I couldn't disagree more. I thought The Final Cut was absolutely amazing. Loved the theme, the lyrics, the music (The Post War Dream, When The Tigers Broke Free, The Fletcher Memorial Home, The Final Cut, Two Suns in the Sunet (I just got hair-raising chills just thinking about this one)). And I disagreed with the band sentiment that Waters took too much creative control from the band.

I personally felt Division Bell was my least favorite. It was decent overall, with a couple of great ones (Marooned, Wearing the Inside Out, Lost for Words, High Hopes), but overall it just didn't gel as good, imo.

Now, going on the solo albums of Waters and Gilmour, again, I have to give it to Waters. Amused to Death was an absolute blast. Just amazing. Initially I didn't like Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, but now, after listening to it quite a bit, I think it's actually a great album. Best song on it: Every Strangers Eyes. Just genius.

As for Gilmour's solo career, I think I can only name one song I really liked: On An Island. I think I place more weight on lyrics than on instrumentals. But I have to give credit where it's due. Gilmour is just amazing on guitar. His guitar-solos are a thing of wonder. I'm not sure how awesome Comfortably Numb would've been without Gilmour on guitars. But I just feel there are a lot more awesome guitarists in the world than there are song writers in the world.

Anyways, I'm excited about The Wall movie. I'm curious how different will it be from the Roger Waters The Wall Live concert, I saw back in 2011. That was also unbelievable. I went to the London O2 Arena, and later heard that at that same venue he invited Gilmour to make a surprise guest appearance, and perform in Comfortably Numb. Missed that performance by two weeks or so.

Last edited:
With such a progression within the bands music album to album I am not sure you call anyone in the band a weak or strong link.

I have seen the Wall over 30 times, matter of fact I just watched it again a few weeks ago as it on my laptop. It is a shame they could never get back together and make it work.

I don't think there was a weak album until Waters was out of the band. I have owned everything of theirs at one point in my life and saw them 3 times.

I must say it looks great...

Without David Gilmour and Alan Parsons, Waters is just a guy with an ego bigger than his talent.

What did Alen Parsons have to do with it ? I never knew he was involved ???
I only know him from his work as part of The Alan Parsons Project.

For me, the split was a great pity, since I think the work of both parties suffered afterwards. I felt that the remaining Floyd suffered from a certain blandness, and the rather indulgent and grandiloquent impulses of Waters, which had worked within the tension of the band, produced some less enjoyable later material.

Having said that, I think that the Floyd and Waters' band both became superb live acts, each with a slightly different take on the old material. I'm certainly keen to see this new movie!

Last edited:
I remember that at school we actually watched the movie and did an "the wall performance" afterwards ! :D
I'm getting an image of a bunch of 9-year-olds watching the flower scene then doing a re-enactment later.

Those Europeans.... ;)

LOL !

We were Gymnasium pupils ! Ages between 16-18 !

We were high into arts, philosophy, music, politics, religion and everything academic ! (The Gymnasium is the kind of school one must pass through in order to become a student at an university, normally.)

Our Performance consisted of taking big blocks (ca. 1 m in length, ca. 20 cm wide) made of Styropor - this stuff looks white, is very light-weight and easily be cut with a knife or even a good spoon ;) - and building a wall out of it.
Then, we destroyed The Wall.

That was our Art Performance, and … although it might sound somewhat childish, I'm still very proud of it !

And while I'm at it : An interview with one of my favourite music artists, Tony Banks : http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Tony-Banks-Interview-A-Chord-Too-Far-2015-s593.html

Back
Top Bottom