Lefty corruption....again

I wasn't even going to touch the (lack of) wisdom of the CRA. Arguing that tangent would just detract from spotlighting what our shyster friends at ACORN are (allegedly, for now) doing.

Giving out loans to people who can't afford them is what got us into this financial mess to begin with. It's a practice that should be stopped immediately!

I agree. Let's hope Congress repeals the CRA. I don't think it's the root/entire cause like many Righties claim, but it did play a role and is something that can easily be changed.

Ever heard of bogus accusation? ACORN files the complaint. Doesn't matter whether the complaint is justified or not, the bank has to spend time and money to defend it. If it was really a horrible crime-against-humanity violation and ACORN is saving the world from evil corporations, why does the complaint magically go away once ACORN gets business from the bank? It's no different than a mob protection racket. Except that it's a wildly pro-lefty organization cloaking their extortion in pro-lefty politics…

Maybe the complaint goes away because once the business is placed, albeit through ACORN, the banks are then meeting their obligations thus nullifying the complaint?

Not to mention it strikes me as hypocritical to complain about bank malfeasance and corruption with one hand while your other hand is aiming a gun at them and forcing them to give out rotten loans to people who can't possibly afford them.

Now that I agree with.

Maybe the complaint goes away because once the business is placed, albeit through ACORN, the banks are then meeting their obligations thus nullifying the complaint?
Perhaps. The article didn't give sufficient detail, but there was an implication there that the complaint only went away when ACORN got the work. So, if WeHereIsStupidMortgagesYo (WHIMSY, for short) served as the middle man, the complaint was not retracted and had to be defended by the bank. That's reading between the lines of the report, though, so it might be completely logical and completely false.

There's been some really bad stuff about Charlie Rangel, too.

I was really surprised to hear this kind of thing about Evan Bayh, though you probably have heard about it before since he's in your state. I won't quote any disgruntled lefty sources who are upset at him for joining Leiberman in being willing to filibuster the HC bill, but this older article from Bloomberg states the reasons he may not be in an impartial position to judge the bill:

Indiana Senator Evan Bayh, on a short list of Democrat Barack Obama's possible running mates, may face questions about potential conflicts of interest from his wife's work on seven corporate boards that paid her more than $837,000 last year.

Susan Bayh, a lawyer, is a director at Indianapolis-based WellPoint Inc., which is part of a medical research partnership awarded a $24.7 million federal grant in May after Evan Bayh and his Indiana colleagues in Congress recommended the group to the National Institutes of Health. …

…While it isn't inherently unethical for Senate spouses to join corporate boards, concerns may arise if companies and lawmakers are in positions to benefit from the connections, said Bill Buzenberg, executive director of the Center for Public Integrity. ``It doesn't pass the ethical smell test,'' Buzenberg said.

WellPoint, which paid Susan Bayh almost $335,000 last year, is the biggest U.S. health-insurance company by membership as Obama's campaign promises to push for universal health-care coverage. WellPoint spent $890,000 lobbying Congress and the Bush administration in the three months ended June 30, according to disclosure forms.

A former lawyer for Eli Lilly & Co., Susan Bayh is a director at four publicly traded biopharmaceutical companies: Curis Inc., Dendreon Corp., Dyax Corp., and MDRNA Inc. Earlier this year, she left the board of closely held Golden State Foods, one of McDonald's Corp.'s biggest suppliers, and became a company adviser.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=auTmNXiBqkjE

They're all crooks I tell ya—the ones that seem honest just haven't been exposed yet.

Yep, crooks from top to bottom. I do have a little sympathy for these folks, though. To get elected, you have to be a well-connected person moving in certain circles. Once you get elected, it's not like that network magically goes away, even if there's nothing shady going on.

Hoosiers support Bayh pretty soundly on this one, even if he's guilty (which, honestly, I kinda doubt). Although his voting record doesn't completely support the image (he votes a little further left than people realize), he's treated like a "traditional republican" (non-evangelical, hawkish, fiscal conservative) that happens to belong to the wrong party. We don't have too many fringers (of either end) in Indiana, so Bayh draws very well with the wide majority huddling in the middle. If it weren't a senate seat, I think the republicans would probably let Bayh run unopposed rather than put up a sacrificial lamb every 6 years.

You do realize that it's the Democrats that keep shooting campaign finance reform down, right? Sorry, couldn't resist.

No, I didn't, but then again I haven't seen the proposals either.

IMHO the only way to insure there's no corruption is to make it illegal for any candidate to accept donations or favors from anyone. Public financing seems like the only option....

Which would be a violation of the 1st Amendment, most probably.

'cause you'd be limiting the amount of ad time the candidates could use to get their platforms across.

Not saying I like it (mandatory public financing would be my ideal solution), but the courts already ruled spending caps are unconstitutional.

But that's not the point, the point is you're not letting them spend their money/assets to get their message out. The court has said speech=money and you *cannot* limit campaign spending.

As a private citizen or a group, you have the right to buy time on tv. As long as it meets obscenity laws, you can say whatever you want in that time you bought. You could peddle Sham-Wow or you could peddle "Change We Need". By limiting campaign spending for advertising, you're limiting the ability of people to use their money as they see fit.

You also have the right as a candidate to get your message out to the voters. So limiting the expenditures is limiting your 'speech' that way.

I still think public financing is a good way to go but there are constitutional issues associated with it (and this isn't just a righty/lefty partisan issue, it's been pretty routinely viewed this way by the courts AFAIK).

Back
Top Bottom