Guy in Santa Barbara who killed a bunch of people because he could not find a girl

Yeah, stuff like this is frightening. I see things have changed a huge amount since I was a kid. Even then I played games a lot but I still rode bikes, hung out with friends, etc.

Now in the US many kids are also in bad neighborhoods so they are even more isolated because there's few kids around to be with who are not in gangs, on drugs, etc. making things much worse. And if they do hang with friends they watch movies and play video games.

I see a little of it in a lot of people online, including myself.

Also, I can see a lot of people have an online mentality when it comes to real world interactions. Like they will be suddenly very rude, then when I respond back they are completely shocked. Yes, it's much different in the real world where being a complete jerk for no reason has consequences.

I don't think the violence in games is mainly an issue, but withdrawing into a kind of echo chamber type environment is a very real issue.

Last edited:
I don't think the violence in games is mainly an issue, but withdrawing into a kind of echo chamber type environment is a very real issue.

Absolutely and totally agree ... and see more and more kids lacking the proper tools for social interactions even as they enter the workforce.

Well, I don't only see todays kids having problems, I can see grown ups getting addicted too, and it gets much worse now with the smartphones, when you're on the public transportations most of the young people are sitting with their smartphones, when you are at birthday parties or dinners they are sitting with their smartphones, during classes they are sitting with their smartphones, during their freetime they are sitting with their smartphones… it goes on and on, and a lot of grown ups are making it worse by also always using their smartphones, not setting a good example for their kids.

I even see old people who sit inside playing on their smartphones the entire day.

It's especially disturbing given how braindead smartphone games are. No one I know personally is like that but I see them everywhere. It's even more baffling than people who withdraw into internet fantasy land - where people commonly say stuff I have NEVER heard someone in real life say.

Back
Top Bottom