Oblivion Nehrim... just wow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
I agree, which is why one of the first mods that I added to Nehrim was the all +5 attributes modifier at level up.

This is my complete list of mods for Nehrim, and they served me well during 2 playthroughs.

Code:
Active Mod Files:
00  Nehrim.esm
01  NehrimData.esp
02  Black Heart.esp
03  DarkSaintHGEC.esp
04  EY_AoD.esp
05  NexonsArmoryENG.esp
++  Nehrim_Bigger_Bears_and_Smaller_Foxes.esp
06  BetterLookingMaleKim.esp
07  NehrimFairFemaleKim.esp
08  X.Races.Comp.esp
++  NehrimGrassFix.esp
09  NehrimEnglish.esp
0A  Nehrim Improvment.esp
0B  FastRoasting(EN).esp
0C  fasttravelupdate.esp
0D  All+5AttributeModifiers.esp
0E  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

I have to admit that strikes me as being somewhat ironic. A bunch of mods being used to to improve a mod. :)

Isn't the whole point of the game to be modded, even its mods :) ?

Seriously though, I guess I can't play Oblivion anymore without a minimum of fig leaves. Nehrim improved ALOT on the shortcomings of the core game, but some of the fairly painful ones remained… and I just don't have the stamina anymore :)

I have to admit that strikes me as being somewhat ironic. A bunch of mods being used to to improve a mod. :)

I don't see the point of modding the leveling system and killing the balance of the game. Games that are too easy are boring.

The Nehrim skill advancement makes perfect sense to me. You gain skill by 'doing' which is the Elder Scrolls way, and you gain skill by 'learning' which is the Gothic way. Nehrim gates your ability to learn using governing attributes, such as swords gated by strength, shields gated by endurance. Nehrim effectively limits your ability to master a skill by rote, you have to be trained. Nehrim has simply combined both systems which is intuitive and appropriate.

I will be the first to admit that I don't have a clear perception of how Nehrim links the skills to the stats. In my defence, it wasn't explained anywhere I could find in the documentation delivered with the game (installation guide, or walkthrough).

All that I know is that I started Nehrim without any levelling mod. Shortly before leaving the cave, I levelled up and received a +2 or +3 in strength (fighting with a rusty axe and my fists, I guess), nothing else, whereas my mind was set on playing my character as a rogue, and I spent a whole lot of time sneaking around.

The only tidbits I could gather about the skill system in Nehrim were that the sneaking skill is skewed, making it the #5 mod download for Nehrim on the Nexus.

The other two skill/stat levelling mods I could locate seemed either overly complex, or unfit to my needs.

Hence why I switched to the trusty mod that I had used for Oblivion, and converted it for Nehrim in less than a minute.

I don't see the point of modding the leveling system and killing the balance of the game. Games that are too easy are boring.

The Nehrim skill advancement makes perfect sense to me. You gain skill by 'doing' which is the Elder Scrolls way, and you gain skill by 'learning' which is the Gothic way. Nehrim gates your ability to learn using governing attributes, such as swords gated by strength, shields gated by endurance. Nehrim effectively limits your ability to master a skill by rote, you have to be trained. Nehrim has simply combined both systems which is intuitive and appropriate.

I'd just caution that the devs put serious effort towards keeping Nehrim challenging and rewarding, which was hardly a hallmark of Oblivion. I think you'll get pretty bored if you are laying the smack down by level 5 ;)

Back
Top Bottom