|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Square Owns Dungeon Siege IP

Default Obsidian Entertainment - Square Owns Dungeon Siege IP

June 17th, 2010, 02:40
Feargus Urquhart has told Gamasutra that Square Enix purchased the Dungeon Siege IP from Gas Powered Games:
"Square actually purchased the IP from Gas Powered, and it's a Square brand now," Urquhart explained. He said Chris Taylor, Gas Powered founder and original Dungeon Siege designer, reviews every major new build of the game, although Gas Powered is not formally involved in development.

"Chris gives us a lot of feedback, and we take all that criticism seriously, particularly when he says, 'This doesn't feel like Dungeon Siege,'" Urquhart said. "What we get from Square is a huge amount of support — a lot of good ideas about how they approach things in their games."
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 17th, 2010, 02:41
{looks at the secret chicken level}

{looks at the chocobos}

HmmmmHNNN!

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

June 17th, 2010, 09:22
Hopefully when they turn this into a movie it will look more like Final Fantasy : Advent Children and less like Final Fantasy : The Spirits Within

clickgoplay

SasqWatch

June 17th, 2010, 09:29
If they want to make a great game, they should pretty much ignore Chris

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 17th, 2010, 09:46
Uwe Boll already made a Dungeon Siege movie. It actually features some solid names but like other Boll movies it pretty much gets hammered. Considering how little story there was in DS I would imagine you wouldn't notice the connection if it weren't for the title.

stealth

Sentinel

June 17th, 2010, 09:59
Originally Posted by clickgoplay View Post
Hopefully when they turn this into a movie it will look more like Final Fantasy : Advent Children and less like Final Fantasy : The Spirits Within
Imho The Spirits Within has way better visuals then Advent Children, I've watched them back to back, which is impressive for a film from 2001. Still - dumber than AC, but no by far.

btw - any help with the visuals from Square for cinematics or beyond would be nice as Alpha Protocol for example was the worst looking UE3 title I've seen, KOTOR2 and NWN2 - not that bad but still had graphical issues and lagging.

..chasing a trail of smoke and reason..

sfury

Watcher

June 17th, 2010, 14:12
Almost every day I am amazed at how much people care about graphics. Having followed gaming for so long I guess I should've learned something by now.

That said, there have been a number of short previews of DS3 based on an off-hands demo shown at E3. Apparently the game is running on Obsidian's Onyx engine and every preview I've read so far have praised the graphics. Which is kinda bizarro world given that it's an Obsidian title.

Starwars

Watchdog

June 17th, 2010, 20:03
I don't really care that much about graphics (though good luck making me play Dwarf Fortress until they make some overlay 2D/3D interface, whatever it looks like, just not ASCII please guys?)

…but good old AP had achieved some striking things. I guess if no one told me they used Unreal Engine 3 I wouldn't mind, but man was the difference with other U3 titles huge and how unpolished that game was… (for all the other good things it had).

But I digress. Onyx engine? Glad they're using it - hope it helps them to make things better this time, now that they're working with tech they should know and designed well for their purposes. Also the time they spent on the Aliens RPG using it shoud now come in handy.

..chasing a trail of smoke and reason..

sfury

Watcher

June 17th, 2010, 21:19
I got about 95% of the way through the first one then never finished it. A year or so later I read a walkthrough that confirmed I almost finished it.

Just was so repetitive and I had no care at all about the story. Just never felt the urge to finish it.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

June 18th, 2010, 01:10
Originally Posted by Starwars View Post
Almost every day I am amazed at how much people care about graphics. Having followed gaming for so long I guess I should've learned something by now.
+1. My position is that the graphics in a game, like the FX in a movie, should compliment and enhance the story/plot, and not be the driving force/dominating factor that happens too often.

As much as I admire good looking graphics (I enjoyed the graphics of DS 1 and 2), give me a good story with strong characters any day. Thief 1: The Dark Project's graphics in no way has the ability to compare to more modern games graphics wise, but the story/plot that unfolds in that gem of a game is superior to many to this day.

Rills

Watchdog

June 19th, 2010, 03:06
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If they want to make a great game, they should pretty much ignore Chris
This. I suppose everyone other than me have blocked out of their memory the atrocious SPACE SEIGE.

Damian Mahadevan

Keeper of the Watch

June 19th, 2010, 10:20
Actually, Chris Taylor has helped develop some excellent games. The "Siege" games do suck though…

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Square Owns Dungeon Siege IP