|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arx Fatalis - Patch & Source Code

Default Arx Fatalis - Patch & Source Code

January 20th, 2011, 10:38
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
This game just begs to be hacked and played on the kinetic. Doing those magic motions with your hands would be a lot easier than a mouse.
Hey, cool idea, actually! I hated doing them with the mouse and only ever used pre-hotkeyed spells in combat. But with real hand gestures…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

January 20th, 2011, 11:11
Black and White as well. Arx and B&W had an interesting way to do magic, but in the end it was too difficult to do those gestures with a mouse. At least it was for me. Especially in the heat of battle. Trying to pull off a fireball while strafing was annoying.

BTW, I meant Kinect. I always want to say Kinetic when talking about that controller.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

January 20th, 2011, 12:04
System Shock had almost no gameplay?

*alternate reality alert*

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 21st, 2011, 01:11
@skavenhorde…..The Golden Rat and one other nearly invincible creature could be summoned if you could figure out the right runes to cast and in what order. I managed the Rat once….not golden but that was the name someone gave it on the Arx boards way back when….and I am thinking it was one of the snake creatures but that one I never managed to get to appear…did see a pic of her.

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm

January 21st, 2011, 03:12
I think a lot of you are not understanding what gameplay is.

Its not the items or the story or the atmosphere or the stats system. Its how it controls and feels. If you just took quake3, deus ex and system shock quake3 comes out on top with gameplay. Even quake1 does. You might enjoy having stats and stuff and that might even make the game for you… But thats not the gameplay.

Another example would be comparing the superb Dominions3 to Warcraft2. I much prefer dominions3 but warcraft2 has the better gameplay.

So with dark messiah you have gameplay that rivals any FPS. Its a better use of Source engine than even halflife2 in terms of gameplay. Then if you compare the melee action in Dark Messiah to ANY other RPG its miles ahead. Morrowind, 1 swing. Oblivion, 4 swings. Darkmessiah, 4 swings, 4 fatalities a weapon, backstabs, knife throws, kicks, knockdowns, leap attacks, disarming attacks, etc…

So when i say Arkane+bethsoft+id = best RPG ever its because it will have the gameplay of dark messiah with the better questing, exploration, etc of oblivion.

SirJames

Sentinel

January 21st, 2011, 11:24
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
I think a lot of you are not understanding what gameplay is.

Its not the items or the story or the atmosphere or the stats system. Its how it controls and feels. If you just took quake3, deus ex and system shock quake3 comes out on top with gameplay. Even quake1 does. You might enjoy having stats and stuff and that might even make the game for you… But thats not the gameplay.

Another example would be comparing the superb Dominions3 to Warcraft2. I much prefer dominions3 but warcraft2 has the better gameplay.

So with dark messiah you have gameplay that rivals any FPS. Its a better use of Source engine than even halflife2 in terms of gameplay. Then if you compare the melee action in Dark Messiah to ANY other RPG its miles ahead. Morrowind, 1 swing. Oblivion, 4 swings. Darkmessiah, 4 swings, 4 fatalities a weapon, backstabs, knife throws, kicks, knockdowns, leap attacks, disarming attacks, etc…

So when i say Arkane+bethsoft+id = best RPG ever its because it will have the gameplay of dark messiah with the better questing, exploration, etc of oblivion.
Are you trying to educate veteran gamers with 20+ years of gaming experience about one of the most basic concepts?

Good luck

What you really mean to say is that you didn't enjoy System Shock, and you didn't enjoy what you think is gameplay.

I think System Shock has some of the best gameplay of any game - ever.

I suggest you read up on the concept of gameplay, because you'll find that what you think is gameplay is only a small portion of what it can be. You'll also find that there really isn't a set-in-stone definition that can be applied to all games of all genres. It's like defining what makes an RPG an RPG

Nothing wrong with being ignorant, but you should take care to realise that before you talk about that which you know so very little.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 21st, 2011, 16:02
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Even quake1 does.
Back in the day I was a semi-pro Quake player. At the same time I thought anything coming out of Looking Glass is light years ahead in terms of gameplay. Of which you define merely a fraction (and compare vastly different styles too).

But, i`m sure you`ve seen the error of your ways already, upon reading D`Artagnans reply :)

zadokAllen

Sentinel

January 25th, 2011, 13:46
Originally Posted by Cm View Post
@skavenhorde…..The Golden Rat and one other nearly invincible creature could be summoned if you could figure out the right runes to cast and in what order. I managed the Rat once….not golden but that was the name someone gave it on the Arx boards way back when….and I am thinking it was one of the snake creatures but that one I never managed to get to appear…did see a pic of her.
Thanks, CM. I didn't know about these secret summons. I can barely manage to cast the spells I do know about. Even though it's a rat, I think I'll have to pass on searching for the right runes, but thanks again for the heads up.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

January 25th, 2011, 21:49
Yea, it is a great system but not easy to figure out at first. IIRC summoning the Golden Rat versus the snake lady (forget the name) is hard but even with the right spell it is random. No one ever figured out a sure way to call them other then game cheats.

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arx Fatalis - Patch & Source Code