Invisible, Inc.
Conquest of Elysium 4
Voidspire Tactics
Chaos Reborn
Serpent in the Staglands
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
More information.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Voidspire Tactics - seems to be cool...

Pillars of Eternity didn't even make their Top Ten?
I knew it hadn't gone down well over there, but that's a bit harsh.

Underrail is a great game and a worthy winner. I found some sections more frustrating than enjoyable but I kept going back to it, the atmosphere was awesome.

Here are the bottom 10 (lowest is worst):

Undertale
Final Fantasy V
Blackguards 2
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Agarest: Generations of War 2
Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Might & Magic Heroes VII
Sword Coast Legends
Fallout 4​

It came out 19th I think.
But, really, what does that game have going for it other than good graphics and sound design. Everything else is mediocre. Especially the every-char-design-is-great-lulz character system. In a game where almost everything is about characters' stats and abilities/feats, having such a low-impact system is not exactly a benefit.

It might have scored higher if it started the way it is now after many, many patches and the White March, but that's only a guess.

I think that "top 10" is a bit misleading because for most of those games, hardly anyone on the site actually played them. Their style of voting was a bit out of the ordinary - instead of voting for the best game, what they did is have everyone rate every game that they played from 2015. The list is derived from the Bayesian average ratings of each game.

If you limit the list to games that were played by a reasonable number of voters, then their full GotY rankings would be:

1. Underrail (played by 58%) - rating 4.20
2. AoD (played by 63%) - rating 4.18
3. Witcher 3 (played by 51%) - rating 4.00
4. Serpent in the Staglands (played by 35%) - rating 3.56
5. Shadowrun: Hong Kong (played by 44%) - rating 3.52
6. Pillars of Eternity (played by 76%) - rating 3.30
7. Sunless Sea (played by 17%) - rating 2.91
8. Undertale (played by 29%) - rating 2.60
9. Fallout 4 (played by 44%) - rating 1.86
10. Sword Coast Legends (played by 11%) - rating 1.71

Every other game was only played by 8% or less of the voters. (The full spreadsheet is available at their site, my list is taken from the GotY tab of it.) #7 and #10 weren't played by many, so maybe they should be dropped too. Now the list begins to look pretty reasonable.

If they had done a vote the way we do here, it seems safe to assume AoD would have won their GotY, due to its somewhat higher % of players than Underrail (and Witcher 3), and almost equivalent rating to Underrail.

Voidspire Tactics, was not aware of that one. Looks my cup of tea.
I agree with underrail, what a marble !

Our voting was intentionally designed to favor good games over popular games. It's tottaly pointless to know if AoD is voted 1% better or worse than Underrail, the real question is: what other games were good?

Seems to have worked, as HiddenX is already going after Voidspire Tactics. ;)

And I added all the other tabs and sortable data so you too cna make your own GOTY result.
Wanna know which 2015 games the Codex as a whole liked more? Sort by the "% enjoyed tab":

1 - Age of Decadence - 51%
2 - Underrail - 48%
3 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 38%
4 - Pillars of Eternity - 35%
5 - Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 23%

This shows the % of overall voters who thought the game was good or great (4 or 5). It's a funny ranking because PoE is at once the 4th most enjoyed, the 2nd most hated game and by far the most played.

The spreadsheet has data on what 742 codexers think about +100 games, it would be a shame to just look at the Top 3 in one rating.

Our voting was intentionally designed to favor good games over popular games. It's tottaly pointless to know if AoD is voted 1% better or worse than Underrail, the real question is: what other games were good?
Yeah, it's not a bad method at all, sorry if my post came across that way.

But I do wonder what would have happened if a game that hardly anyone played had ended up in the top 3? (Since the top 3 were posted prominently on the news page and all)

Voidspire Tactics
Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN!
Thea: The Awakening

these fuckers are trying so hard. I haven't even heard of VoidExpanse and Overture.

But no Fallout 4. Take that Watch!

But I do wonder what would have happened if a game that hardly anyone played had ended up in the top 3? (Since the top 3 were posted prominently on the news page and all)
We would've had to shut down the site in order to salvage our reputation as a prestigious online gaming magazine.

Makes sense - a GotY scandal could have serious ramifications upon prestigiousness for years to come.

The voting is laughable, but that was clear from the getgo.

But..

what is it with "Blackguards 2" being so downvoted? FO4 being loathed by these glittering gems of hatred is obvious, same goes for Heroes 7 and JRPGs, but "Blackguards 2" is quite good IMHO.

They seem to like games named "Void*.*"

They and no one else :p

Seems to have worked, as HiddenX is already going after Voidspire Tactics. ;)

And I added all the other tabs and sortable data so you too cna make your own GOTY result.
Wanna know which 2015 games the Codex as a whole liked more? Sort by the "% enjoyed tab":

1 - Age of Decadence - 51%
2 - Underrail - 48%
3 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 38%
4 - Pillars of Eternity - 35%
5 - Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 23%

This shows the % of overall voters who thought the game was good or great (4 or 5). It's a funny ranking because PoE is at once the 4th most enjoyed, the 2nd most hated game and by far the most played.

The spreadsheet has data on what 742 codexers think about +100 games, it would be a shame to just look at the Top 3 in one rating.

Personally I think the games enjoyed tab a much better ranking system for game of the year than the one the codex used. It reduces the dislike some people have for major publishers and the fact that a few people extremely enjoy a game that others would never consider buying, but on the other hand both of those factors play a role in the voting.

As much as I prefer some of the spreadsheet's alternate rankings and think those primary results are more about "cool because it's old-school", I still think those results are superior to any ranking with Fallout 4 as a top RPG.

Age of Decadance, Serpent in the Staglands, and Underrail definitely deserve their place at the top.

The voting is laughable, but that was clear from the getgo.

But..

what is it with "Blackguards 2" being so downvoted? FO4 being loathed by these glittering gems of hatred is obvious, same goes for Heroes 7 and JRPGs, but "Blackguards 2" is quite good IMHO.
Because compared to Blackguards 1 it was simplified and Codex hates that.

Fallout 4 is hardly mentioned? So predictable. Still mad about the departure from FO1 and FO2. So you make an indie game your top RPG to pay them back.

Ludicrous. They even put Sword Coast Legends ahead of Fallout 4.

Underrail is a worthy winner. I loved it. And to imagine that it was mostly done by one guy is awe-inspiring.

No idea why Sword Coast Legends is even mentioned...

I cannot dispute the positions of Underraid and Age of Decadence at all. Shadowrun is on there as well, once again a more than fair choice. I'm not familiar with Voidspire at all.

Back
Top Bottom