Why We Love… The Infinity Engine (And Despair For BioWare)

While the Infinity Engine have been created by Bioware, it was Interplay/Black Isle that directed the Bioware staff to use it in an RPG. And Black Isle had strong (story and general design) contributions to BG series and much of us know that IWD series and PsT are completely developed by Black Isle. I think biggest mistake of the article is in this.

While it's one of my dreams to see future RPGs in Infinity Engine, we all know that there won't be any high budgeted IE RPG in the future. But I do really hope that Bioware/Interplay/Atari/Hasbro (or who has the rights IE now) will release the source codes and editors of IE free to the public. I'm sure that talented people like in Spiderweb or Iron Tower Studios (or many others) can create new wonders with this. But, I'm not sure if it's easy to make a RPG with IE than other 3d engines. Before IE all RPGs were made in tile-based format (and after that) (ie Fallout, Arcanum, NWN), but IE environments feature 3d prerendered images with lots of handdrawing touch. So, it's not difficult to imagine making a new IE game will be much more time consuming than making a tile-based game. So what's the point of using a 2d engine if I have to draw all the monsters, building, items in 3d.

The GemRB engine is a clone of IE, but it uses some of the propriety logic and of course the AD&D 2nd edition rules. I saw a thing recently on the OGL 3.5 rules and given that they are so close to the official AD&D rules, I wondered if GemRB could be modified to use it instead and end up with a truly free and open IE clone.

Obviously, you'd still have to produce the content, graphics files, etc., but seems like that could be a manageable task.

Dasale, it's "Icewind Dale". You see, there's a space, and two D's! Once you figure out how to retain the knowledge of the text directly in front of you, you'll be capable of forming opinions.

Also, it's always nice to have a gaming news site lament the death of quality RPGs. Cuz they're dead.

It shows that you are incapable of retaining information that is literally written right in front of you.

It shows that you are incapable of retaining information that is literally written right in front of you.

So great, you are confusing "retaining information" and "capable of forming opinions", woo that's "wonderful", now I have no doubt you don't even have the base of logic, I wonder if a chimp can't do better.

EDIT: I agree with you blatantninja… If he deletes his concerned posts I delete mine. Yeah yeah and sorry for the disturbance. :)

EDIT2: Woo woo stop spam this thread with complain! darkling can't you do the first step damit?

Last edited:
Can you two take your lovers spat elsewhere please?

I agree. Please cut out the rubbish, or I'll cut out the posts!! Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom