Vivaldi, a new browser from the Opera founder

www.pcworld.com/article/2875977/new-vivaldi-browser-aims-to-win-over-power-users.html

There's a new browser aiming to win the hearts and minds of power users. Called Vivaldi, the Chromium-based browser comes from a team led by Jon von Tetzchner, co-founder and former CEO of Opera Software. Vivaldi is available now as a technical preview for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

The overall look of Vivaldi is a mix of a classic browser UI and the more sparse, modern interpretations in browsers like Chrome and Microsoft's upcoming Spartan. In the upper left corner, you have a small menu button; below that the address bar with home, back, forward and refresh buttons to its left. There is also a left sidebar for quick access to browser features such as bookmarks, contacts, downloads, and notes. At the very bottom of the sidebar is a settings icon for quick access to your browser's preferences.

There is also a search box to the right of the address bar that is set to Google by default and doesn't appear to be changeable at the moment.

The story behind the story: Vivaldi appears to be an attempt by Tetzchner and his team to remake what they believe Opera should've been. Before it became a browser, Vivaldi was an online community for dispossessed Opera users after Opera Software shut down its community site in late 2013. Vivaldi, the browser, also contains many Opera-like traits including Speed Dial, a built-in mail client (still under development), and built-in note taking.

vivaldispeeddial
Vivaldi in action on Windows. (Click to enlarge.)

Hands-on with Vivaldi
As this is a technical preview, don't expect Vivaldi to be a blazing fast browser. In my tests on Windows 8.1, Vivaldi felt sluggish and less responsive than other browsers. That will likely improve over time.

vivaldiquickcommands
Vivaldi's Quick Commands feature.

Other than a note-taking app and upcoming mail client, Vivaldi also has some nice features to appeal to power users. There's a keyboard-centric feature called Quick Commands that is summoned with ctrl+Q. The feature summons a pop-up window that offers quick access to open tabs and browser commands. Type in the name of the setting or tab you're looking for and Quick Commands filters your results to help you quickly find what you need.

You can also group tabs into folders on the Speed Dial page, or group tabs together by dragging them on top of each other.

Vivaldi also makes it easy to figure out where you are with a large number of tabs open. The active tab takes on the main color of the favicon of the site you're visiting. Check out PCWorld and the tab turns red, on Google blue, and The New York Times, black. Inactive tabs remain white, and when another app is in focus all tabs turn monochrome with the most recently active tab darker than the rest.

Overall, Vivaldi is a nice looking browser in its technical preview form. It's still lacking some features that are expected in future versions, such as extensions and the expected mail client. But if you enjoy playing around with new browsers, there's a lot to like with Vivaldi even in this unfinished state.

I think it's in a very rough state right now, and the theme is quite strange, but parts of it show promise.

Now that Opera has gone off the deep end and Firefox is continuously dumbing down their product it might be our only hope.

I'm interested in this, but at this stage I find its performance to be sluggish compared to Chromium. They do state that it needs a lot more work, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Firefox went the bloatware route sadly.
Can't remember the last time I saw anyone using Opera on PC.
Microsoft is ditching IE and is making a new browser for win 10 called Spartan.
Thus Vivaldi was expected, what's not expected is it's name. I thought M$' competition will name the browser: Athenian.

When I saw new new "browser from opera: I hoped for heir of Presto engine but than I read "Chromium".

Microsoft is ditching IE and is making a new browser for win 10 called Spartan.

So M$ finally realized that name "Internet explorer" is forever tainted.

i just don't get it how these guys make money from browser these days. Are they doing it for fun?

i just don't get it how these guys make money from browser these days. Are they doing it for fun?

They make money from deals with the default search engine included in the browser, Google in this case.

When I saw new new "browser from opera: I hoped for heir of Presto engine but than I read "Chromium".

The code all belongs to Opera, there's nothing they can do on this front. Also the fact that Presto had so many incompabilities and other glitches was one of the major factors preventing Opera from becoming mainstream.

The code all belongs to Opera, there's nothing they can do on this front. Also the fact that Presto had so many incompabilities and other glitches was one of the major factors preventing Opera from becoming mainstream.

I wasn't expecting new presto version or anything like that but I hope for new engine that follows same concept, robust and highly customizable browser.I don't like where opera is going, they turned from innovator to copycat.

I think I'll stick with Safari!! :)

Sadly, I know that, but I still prefer it to what else is currently out there.

Are they still patching it with security updates? If not, it will likely not be very safe to use at this point.

@HHR: Interesting, thanks for posting

pibbur who didn't know (almost) anything about this until 11 minutes ago

I just LOVED Opera - until it started to use the Googhle source code (what's now Chromium). I always wanted an genuine browser, not some clone ! (Even if the "cloning" took place only beneath the sirface !)

We'll see how good it is when Spartan gets released.
Not saying Spartan will be better.

A lot of browsers are forking off Mozilla/FF due to FF absurd insistence on cloning Chrome. Thank God you can still reskin FF.

Opera's bill is being flipped by the Finnish gov't and is donationware IIRC. They acted like their browser was some cause but they just couldn't keep up with FF. My guess is there was some partnership with Nokia until it collapsed.

On another note, its ridiculously easy to make your own browser on Android just by using Webview's in your app.

So, with that, and forked browsers, its getting very difficult to support standardization out there.

I'm just evil. So just pretend you don't know that. ;)

This browser has come a very long way since a year ago and it still keeps getting better and better. The final version 1.0 is coming very soon. I suggest everyone to try it, it is very pleasant to use and has lots of convenient and ingenious features.

Back
Top Bottom