Ossian Studios - The Shadow Sun Announced

For an RPG, yes. I like being able to set a destination some way down the path and then looking around to admire the scenery as it passes.

For a shooter, no - there's not the same agility of movement.

Be honest now.

You sit down in front of your PC.

You get this Citadel game presented to you.

You can either play it with a mouse/keyboard combo - ala Gothic/Oblivion, or you can play it using a touchscreen.

Are you being 100% honest, when you say you actually PREFER playing such a game on a touchscreen?

Oh goodness yes. I've used a mouse and keyboard long enough that it's virtually an extension of me anyway, but it doesn't compare with the immersion you get when you literally grab the view and move it where you like with your finger.

But it would depend on the game - if it was one that encouraged exploration etc. then this would be perfect. If it was one where you needed to dodge/jump around and put an accurate bead on something then I'd take the mouse/keyboard combo.

Oh goodness yes. I've used a mouse and keyboard long enough that it's virtually an extension of me anyway, but it doesn't compare with the immersion you get when you literally grab the view and move it where you like with your finger.

But it would depend on the game - if it was one that encouraged exploration etc. then this would be perfect. If it was one where you needed to dodge/jump around and put an accurate bead on something then I'd take the mouse/keyboard combo.

I only ask because I hate touchscreen interfaces for anything but hotels or where the buttons are so big that I can't miss them, and I don't need to interact beyond in the most basic ways. I have a HTC Diamond 2 (or whatever the hell it's called), and I can't type worth shit even with the largest on-screen keyboard. It's awful - and I even have small hands.

Immersion with your hand ON THE SCREEN? Rather than away from the experience, where you don't see yourself interacting. Hmm...

That's interesting.

I always assumed most PC gamers would agree with that, and if it's true that many gamers actually prefer playing involving CRPGs (or whatever this is) with a touchscreen - then I'd have to declare this a case of subjective taste, rather than people deluding themselves because of the "neatness" cutesy toy factor. I basically assume that people think it's amazing that a small device can do what "real" computers could do, not so long ago. I used to be impressed by that myself, until I realised that no matter how neat - it would still be behind the times in the important ways.

So, I guess it's just me ;)

Immersion with your hand ON THE SCREEN? Rather than away from the experience, where you don't see yourself interacting. Hmm…
I know what you mean, but really, it's quite interesting. Somethings really are far more immersive with a touch screen. Object manipulation is the other big one - try dragging objects around in something like Oblivion and it's like.. meh. Do it on a touch screen and it's a vastly more enjoyable experience.

I always assumed most PC gamers would agree with that, and if it's true that many gamers actually prefer playing involving CRPGs (or whatever this is) with a touchscreen - then I'd have to declare this a case of subjective taste, rather than people deluding themselves because of the "neatness" cutesy toy factor. I basically assume that people think it's amazing that a small device can do what "real" computers could do, not so long ago. I used to be impressed by that myself, until I realised that no matter how neat - it would still be behind the times in the important ways.

So, I guess it's just me ;)
I love my PC gaming. Always will, but I think the idea of having a lumbering great big box with archaic interface devices is the thing that's behind the times really :p (And I'm happy to be behind the times in that respect :p)

I know what you mean, but really, it's quite interesting. Somethings really are far more immersive with a touch screen. Object manipulation is the other big one - try dragging objects around in something like Oblivion and it's like.. meh. Do it on a touch screen and it's a vastly more enjoyable experience.

I've tried that kind of thing, and it's just not working for me. The idea is neat, but it's not anywhere near the stage where it works - for me.

The Wii has some great ideas, and some games use that controller for the better, and then there are games where it doesn't work.

I love my PC gaming. Always will, but I think the idea of having a lumbering great big box with archaic interface devices is the thing that's behind the times really :p (And I'm happy to be behind the times in that respect :p)

Lumbering big box? You don't move it around, so who cares? I mean, you're not female - are you? ;)

Anyway, I'm all for progress in terms of interfaces. I think Wii and "Kinect" shows some promise - but I also think it's largely gimmicky.

The touchscreen has proved itself for a very limited range of uses - and I'm afraid "moving boxes" around the screen for immersion, can't overcome that VAST issues it otherwise creates.

So, while I think it does have potential - and while I think some games might work better, if they're designed to that interface, I think it's MILES away from anything like a decent cRPG interface that can compare with "archaic" devices.

I suppose you think the steering wheel of a car is too archaic as well? ;)

Innovation for the sake of innovation, or innovation to circumvent core issues won't cut it ;)

However, I do try to keep an open mind. When Citadel is released - I'll wipe my slate clean as much as I can, and try it on a friends iPod or whatever. Then we'll see how much of this is your delusion - and how much of it is mine!

Again, it's never REALLY the system. That said, capitalism and the free market is quite bad in terms of facilitating some of our worst traits as ignorant and greedy morons.

TO paraphrase Winston Churchill, Capitalism is that absolute worst economic system......except all the others we've ever tried!

Yeah, but isn't that excessive? I haven't read it, so I wouldn't know - but it strikes me as a bit extreme.

Of course it is, it's sci-fi! It's extreme in the same way that 1984 is extreme, but that's the point. Through exaggeration certain potential societal problems are exposed. For Gods' sake, they grow embryos in factories and condition them to a certain way of thinking and to a certain caste! Viviparous (I had to look up that word ;)) offspring is abhorred! If that's not extreme... :)

Ending is better than mending. The more stitches, the less riches!

I have to acknowledge that those screens are very impressive. But, I'd like to see an actual game running, before I comment in-depth.

It's just a tech demo of the engine; no game will come out of it. But there will be!

Get it already!

But when will you embrace mobile gaming over the PC?!

that Epic Citadel demo is indeed rather impressive, I did not expect something like that to run on the iPhone, and with a decent framerate to boot (3GS). The demo lacks any character models however (traditionally huge poly count), so I guess a real game would have to dial it back a bit. Still, its hard to believe that such graphics are possible.

Of course it is, it's sci-fi! It's extreme in the same way that 1984 is extreme, but that's the point. Through exaggeration certain potential societal problems are exposed. For Gods' sake, they grow embryos in factories and condition them to a certain way of thinking and to a certain caste! Viviparous (I had to look up that word ;)) offspring is abhorred! If that's not extreme… :)

Ending is better than mending. The more stitches, the less riches!

Why would I need to read a farcical rendition of the problem, I'm trying to make people aware of?!?! That's logic in reverse, dude!

I suggest you send a copy straight to Apple HQ ;)

It's just a tech demo of the engine; no game will come out of it. But there will be!

I have some experience with tech demos versus actual games - so let's see ;)

But when will you embrace mobile gaming over the PC?!

Start holding your breath right now!
:p

duty_calls.png

Hope you don't mind, kalniel. It was begging for a repost. ;)

that Epic Citadel demo is indeed rather impressive, I did not expect something like that to run on the iPhone, and with a decent framerate to boot (3GS). The demo lacks any character models however (traditionally huge poly count), so I guess a real game would have to dial it back a bit. Still, its hard to believe that such graphics are possible.

My thoughts exactly. I have to admit to being quite surprised by what the iPhone is capable of. I wasn't aware of it until this thread.

I also never realized how expensive they are though. If you're paying retail price, the iPhone 4 8GB/16GB/32GB versions are $500/$600/$700 respectively.

Yes, and "amusing ourselves to death" by Neil Postman as well !

Edit … I just have had a thought … Some big publishers are now effectivel against second hand/used ware markets … They're actively punishing those "used ware" buyers or at least trying to get additional money from them.

Which means … implicitely … that they are already punishing under-consumption, which means they punish those who do NOT buy *new* wares …

Welcome to Reality.

Update : Just stumbled upon a blog entry :

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...-Experienced-Points-Bargains-Are-for-Cheaters

Quoted from there :

Gamers who buy used aren't "cheating" you. They just don't want to pay that much. There is no reason to not do business with these people once you've made your money from the core fans.

Or you can just keep whining for gamers to pay extra in a bad economy when a cheaper alternative is readily available, while at the same time haranguing them with DRM and micro-transactions. I'm sure you can re-shape the long-understood consumer behavior of the average human being if you can just make them feel guilty enough.

IN fact, I have the feeling as if he came to a similar conclusion like I did :

I'm sure you can re-shape the long-understood consumer behavior of the average human being if you can just make them feel guilty enough.

Punishing for not consuming ?

Under-consumption as a crime ? Making people feel guilty over that ?

Punishing for not consuming ?

Under-consumption as a crime ? Making people feel guilty over that ?
Only if they're deriving the same service that other people paid for. The only way you shouldn't feel guilty for not paying would be if no-one had to pay. But then we wouldn't have creatively-free games, we'd just have state sponsored/approved recreation activity simulators..

Back
Top Bottom