Hard Reset, a PC exclusive cyberpunk FPS

That interview is like I imagined the perfect responses, but they're real.

I really like this developers' approach, from their philosophy on when to reveal the game, the focus on single-player only, etc. They seem like an "honest" team that is in the business for the art first and money second, which is very refreshing. Now, this doesn't mean that I will love their games automatically, as I always judge games objectively based on their own merits, but it's certainly nice to see a developer approach their game in this manner.

I see lots of explosions and that's about it. Which is exciting for about 20 minutes in most games. :)

I am alarmed at the interview and how it sounds like they want to create a sci-fi Doom/Painkiller/Serious Sam. I wasn't really able to keep interest in those games for long. They are especially boring in single player. Ripping on Call of Duty's simplicity and saying your Painkiller clone has clearly superior gameplay is not such a great argument.

I am alarmed at the interview and how it sounds like they want to create a sci-fi Doom/Painkiller/Serious Sam. I wasn't really able to keep interest in those games for long. They are especially boring in single player. Ripping on Call of Duty's simplicity and saying your Painkiller clone has clearly superior gameplay is not such a great argument.

To each his own. I wouldn't change a thing about Doom or Serious Sam. :)

Not saying I want Hard Reset to be like those games though. I'd prefer something more than a straight shooter when it comes to a cyberpunk setting. This game isn't a make or break deal for me though, seeing as how Deus Ex looks like it's going to deliver on the RPG aspects.

BTW, on the topic of cyberpunk shooters, I stumbled on a somewhat recent one the other day during the Steam sale. It's called Exodus from the Earth. It's another half baked indie game but it has some good qualities. The gameplay is similar to Chaser.

Playable demo is out. - http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=31589

The demo is really short.. I finished it in about 20 minutes.

First.. it's definitely a pure shooter. You can interact with certain things in the environment and upgrade your weapons, but otherwise the game is pure action.

The art direction is very, very good imo. Especially the envrionment and backdrops, which kept making me think of Blade Runner.

Gameplay is a mixed bag. As long as you're not expecting more than what it is, I think most shooter fans will find it enjoyable. Combat is very fast paced, and there's a lot of strafing and backpeddling involved. There's also a lot of destructable items in the environment that you need to utilize against the larger mobs.

It's hard to tell from such a short demo, but I think it might be a very decent game for the $30 price. If you're a shooter fan who likes Cyberpunk then it's a no-brainer.

Tried the demo.

Very competent modern Doom/Painkiller - that I would never personally bother playing :)

However, if you're a fan of that super-simplistic shooter gameplay, this seems one of the best in ages.

This game is getting its first feedback.
Gamespot: 7/10
It's short and occasionally frustrating, but the fireworks display that is Hard Reset is still a blast.

Game Informer: 7.75/10
Hard Reset may only be four hours long, but they’re four good hours. I respect a game that picks one thing and does it well, even if it means skimping on or outright skipping the rest of the modern FPS checklist. Delivering combat on a level that Resistance or Halo could learn a thing or two from is an exceptional achievement for the first effort of a new studio. I won’t fault budget-conscious gamers for skipping this, but I can’t wait to see what Flying Wild Hog does next.

Gamespy: 4/5
It takes four or five hours at best to blast through Hard Reset from start to finish, and the story fumbles just as things get interesting. That's not a dealbreaker. though; the gameplay is tight and punchy, and the overall experience is so well-crafted that it's worth soaking up every last insane moment.

Game Boyz: 7/10
The short nature of the game at first seems a turnoff, but, remember, this is mainly score attack, and the number of upgrades means you can play the game differently each time. If only the story weren't cut off so abruptly, it would have gotten an 8.

Thanks for the reviews, FF.

It's getting released on Steam later today at a debut price of $26.99. I enjoyed the demo enough to say that it's hard to resist at that price.

Back
Top Bottom