Fallout 3 - First 60 Minutes @ Edge Online

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Edge Online walks readers through the first 60 minutes of Fallout 3. We've done this many times before, although this piece has some criticisms, such as the "acting" not meeting the standard in Vampire: Bloodlines and some VATS oddities:
In fact, it’s only when it begins shooting that the game comes awry a little. The VATS system – where you use a pause-time system to call shots at different areas of the body of your targets, spending a regenerating pool of action points – isn’t quite all we hoped for. When it works, its cinematic shots show the slightly camp ultraviolence off to its best, with heads dissolving into red mist. When it doesn’t work, it leads to unfortunately silly-looking shots. Sadly, this is mostly showcased by one of the most common of the early enemies. While a wolf’s attack sequence involves backing off before leaping, the hulking mole rats simply charge and leap at you insistently – in other words, at close range they’re very close, meaning that when you select VATS you’re shown the unfortunate sight of your character bending over and unloading round after round into a beast running against his legs. And even when it works there’s the nagging sense, at least with an unskilled and therefore inaccurate character, that you’d be better off just pointing the gun at your target and pulling the trigger yourself.
More information.

I'm sorry, who said this multi-million dollar development would be held to the standards of Vampire: Bloodlines? Let's not be ludicrous.

This is odd. It looked to me that the acting is the best part of the demo videos released by Bethesda. Not as good as Bloodlines but still good. But Edge has seen a better picture with their 60 minutes session.

Why wouldn't they? One would expect that with such a budget they'd manage to have something at least as good.

I think screeg was being sarcastic.

elander said:
It looked to me that the acting is the best part of the demo videos released by Bethesda.

Well - not to be hating on Bethesda - but do recall Bethesda has shown a tendency to release promotional videos that are not entirely in keeping with the reality of the game (I refer to the Oblivion RAI video, of course).

That said, I wasn't impressed. I mean, it could be worse (Oblivion was), but the character standing stock-still, making odd motions with their arms that do not even approximate real body language and rolling their eyes in Exorcist-like ways does not make good acting for me.

I wasn't overly impressed by Mass Effect either (I was impressed, just not "overly") but compared to that title Fallout 3's acting is a joke, and I'm pretty surprised not more of the mainstream media are calling them out on it. The horrible animations and ridiculously bad facial modelling was already fairly inexcusable for Oblivion, but it's even worst for Fallout 3 (relative to current industry standards, y'see).

Instead of focusing their money on animations and character acting they focused their money elsewhere. If you talk about VTM: Bloodlines then you would see that it has a much narrower focus then Fallout 3 so they could focus much more of their budget on animations and character acting. It didn't take me very long to get through a game of VTM: Bloodlines. Fallout 3 would also be better in those aspects then Oblivion because they have narrowed down their focus with it so can spend more of their budget on that.

PS. Animation and graphics are not the most important aspects to a game but the gameplay, story, and characters are much more important.

Instead of focusing their money on animations and character acting they focused their money elsewhere. If you talk about VTM: Bloodlines then you would see that it has a much narrower focus then Fallout 3 so they could focus much more of their budget on animations and character acting. It didn't take me very long to get through a game of VTM: Bloodlines. Fallout 3 would also be better in those aspects then Oblivion because they have narrowed down their focus with it so can spend more of their budget on that.

PS. Animation and graphics are not the most important aspects to a game but the gameplay, story, and characters are much more important.

It STILL has to be seen if Fallout3 will be superior to superb Vampire's gameplay... you seem to value more the length of the game by your coment than the quality of such length. Maybe vampire was shorter but it was great and intense.

I put it into this:

Just got an newsletter by Ubi Soft.

They seem to distribute Fallout 3 at least in Germany.

I have the impression as if they've started a special web site for it.
http://prepareforthefuture.com/

Back
Top Bottom