End of the road

zakhal

SasqWatch
It took long but I think I finally lost it (no I didnt go crazy read further). It was 25 years ago when it all started. Those days I played with toy cars and transformers. And then in my friend's house I saw my first computer. To this day I have no sure idea what computer it was. We played three games on it from which two I can recognice bruce lee and zorro:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/bruce-lee
http://www.mobygames.com/game/zorro_

Years passed and my interest on computers and games took me through university, career and beyond. My taste on games finally narrowed mainly on crpgs with som fps and sims. But the last years I have finally lost all my interest to them even. I have played almost nothing for six months. Newest fallout makes me just want to return the game because I have no interest to play it. Note that my interest wasnt lost due to any "life changing" event. It just slowly happened.

Gaming was always core hobby of mine. Most of my life and it brought lots of memorably events. Now I have three bookselves full of games of all kinds and all I can think of is how to sell them all lol. Ill propably save few multiplayer games just for parties. But thats it.

Life is all about change. Its just matter of adapting to it. I had lots of good times but its now time to move.

Life goes in cycles; like many before you, eventually you'll be back!! :) Till then enjoy yourself.

The human mind is unpredictable. Your interest in games may return, you never know. I wouldn't sell that collection yet - store it somewhere safe. Or maybe your kids or some friend will one day appreciate it. Either way , if that is also a goodbye to RPGWatch, I am sorry to hear it, hope you'll stick around.

I spent several years where if I managed a dozen hours of gaming *total* (i.e. not even per year) I was lucky, and others where I played a bit more but not enough to even finish a single game. That in spite of playing loads back in the early 80's (Apple ][+) … and only now over the last ~8 or so years have I been hardcore … and that is shifting now as I am reviewing music and gadgets and other stuff as well …

I think I peaked in '07 when I reviewed ~225 games or so, and still replayed the whole Jedi Knight series, SoF2, Gothic 2, NWN and some others... makes me tired just thinking about it now! :D

Good luck with the future. This is, after all, just a hobby and people's interest in hobbies seem to be fickle. I don't understand this because I've had the same hobbies since I was a kid. My hobbies have grown more complex, but always seem to have the same basic formula with miniatures/boardgames, painting and PC games.

This reminds me of when a foreigner declares they're leaving Taiwan for good and never coming back to this island. Then they reappear after a year or so saying that the grass wasn't quite as green on the other side. ;) I'm not saying that will happen, but it happens more often that I would have thought. Even people who left Taiwan because they say they hated everything about it will reappear out of nowhere and we'll all have a good laugh about it.

In any case, good luck. Hope you find another hobby that interests you.

Last edited:
That's okay, zakhal. Things in life change - people change, too. I haven't played p&p games in... how many years? 10? Yet once it was what occupied me most of my time. Never thought I'd spend more money on clothes than on games one day, but that day came. Perhaps you should keep your games like GhanBuriGhan wrote... you never know, maybe you interest returns after a decade or so (but then you should mothball a computer able to run them as well ;) ).

I am not 100% sure this has something to do with you changing or it is games changing…… because I found myself completely unintressed in most new games…. I lost interest in them after like 15 minutes…….. but if I go back to ogre tactics or jagged alliance 2, or other such a games….. I can still enjoy playing them again and again…….. I felt exactly the same way as you until I began to play GOG and indie games…..

BTW, hope you'll stick around here :), would be really sad if you left!

If a game has a really good story I think most people will still enjoy it a lot... but good stories appear to be a thing of the past..... I mean FNV fail by default with the extremly stupid beginning.... it is not at all believable.

It might have something to do with people changing - but me, like GothicGothicness, I find fewer and fewer pleasure in newer games … I don't know why.

zakhal, enjoy the other things you're focusing on, and your self, too. :)

I go in cycles. Right now I have a couple of days free and tons of awesome games to play, and just can't bear myself to do it. People who read my reviews know that other times I play games non-stop for weeks.

A break is better than forcing yourself.
With a break, your batteries are replenishing, so to say.
Under pressure, even the most fun activities become a chore to me.

I hit a similar point about late 2006 and through 2007. I simply did not play any games; I packed up my consoles, and switched to Linux (which ensured the bulk of my collection was unplayable). My gaming consisted of Mahjong and several variants of solitaire. Usually done while listening to music, and just relaxing after work.

Even now, much of my gaming time is spent in DDO. I haven't touched my Wii almost since I bought it. And my older consoles remain packed. I actually did not get back into gaming until I switched to a laptop, and decided to install some old favorites. Now I'm on a desktop, and can't find anything worth buying.

I have relatively little time for gaming, so I have no chance to become oversaturated. Whenever I can set aside a few hours, it am really looking forward to it.

Life goes in cycles; like many before you, eventually you'll be back!! :) Till then enjoy yourself.
After som study Corwin is exact on this. Life do come in cycles and you cant really escape it. I find it in my childhood friends…and myself. I also notice cycles come in different lenght (and start). And there are even single things that can speed up or activate it. Those could be just things you suddenly hear or see.

Craziest thing is you cant control it. Its like somekind of prime directive that says what to do. You cant really stop it even if you want to. Its like going against your nature.

The best you can do is make the cycle as comfy as you can. Be prepared and know whats coming. Before this I had learned only how to do it with one part of the cycle (and i thought that was balance). Im still working on the rest.

Last edited:
Bruce Lee and those Datasoft games bring me good memories. I'm 46 and I've been playing computer games since 1982 and video games since the 70's. There were periods in my life, years not months, that I didn't touch in a single game nor did feel a desire to do it. The longest covers the golden era of RPG's. But I always end up returning. It's endemic in me.
You might return. Don't sell your collection. I can assure, if you return you'll always regret it. Store in boxes, or whatever, but don't sell it.

I have relatively little time for gaming, so I have no chance to become oversaturated. Whenever I can set aside a few hours, it am really looking forward to it.

Hi, Long time Lurker here:)

I find my gaming tends to be seasonal, as other interests take over in the summer (classic car racing on a tight budget)

This tends to prevent overkill for me too

Back
Top Bottom