Dishonored, a new game by Arkane Studios

Frozen Fireball

Trying to unfreeze
Arkane Studios, the studio behind Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is developing a new game which is on August's edition of Game Informer's cover and sounds like a Deus Ex clone. So I think many people here might be interested in it.
I do a bit of copy-pasting from Game Informer's website:

" Bethesda’s next game is a first-person stealth/action adventure, and we’ve got the first look at it in our upcoming August issue. There are dozens of reasons why you should care about this weird-looking game you've never heard of. A few of the most important ones are after the jump.

Arkane Studios and founder Raf Colantonio have made memorable games in the past (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic) that ultimately suffered from a lack of publisher support. Bethesda Softworks believes in their vision and is giving them all the time, money, and development help (regular meetings with guys like The Elder Scrolls' Todd Howard don't make your game worse) they need. Harvey Smith, one of the main minds behind the first two Deus Ex games and a legendary veteran of game development, shares the vision and is on board as Dishonored's co-creative director along with Colantonio. Viktor Antonov designed Half-Life 2's iconic City 17 and is lending his talents to Dishonored's world. This is a perfect storm for creating a game that shatters the mold that first-person action games have built for themselves in the mainstream.

We've seen the game running, and now we share Colantonio and Smith's vision too. Dishonored is the antithesis of a edge-of-your-seat roller-coaster ride. It's a game about assassination where you don't have to kill anyone. It's a game about infiltration where you can set up traps and slaughter the entire garrison of an aristocrat's mansion rather than sneak in. It's a game about brutal violence where you can slip in and out of a fortified barracks with nobody ever knowing you were there. It's a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees.

Dishonored is a game we can't wait to tell you more about. "

Here's the cover:
dishonored-spreadcover.jpg

And here's the source:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/07/august-cover-revealed-dishonored.aspx

Awesome! It's been so long since Arkane released their last game that I feared they would become the next under-appreciated, hidden-gem casualty of the gaming industry. I like the sound this new game quite a bit. On one hand, I wish they were making an Arx Fatalis sequel, but on the other hand, I always respect developers who take the creative path and try new ideas and settings instead of simply rehashing previous ideas. Hope this project works out well for them.

I definitely would have preferred news about a sequel to Arx Fatalis, but I'll still be keeping an eye on Dishonored.

When reading about this I had a dishonorable discharge :blush:

Interesting. Hope it's fun!

I definitely would have preferred news about a sequel to Arx Fatalis, but I'll still be keeping an eye on Dishonored.

+1. An Arx Fatalis sequel will be a great news indeed. Anyway, I'm looking forward for this game: I enjoy stealth games pretty much (I love playing thief/assassin/what else characters in RPGs if I can choose :p).

I was disappointed in the debut trailer. The cinematics are nice, but I really wanted to see some actual gameplay.

Is this even vaguely an rpg? I see comments about choices, but they don't always result in consequences.

-Carn

I would say it has some RPG elements, like branching character progression, choices, different ways to complete missions, etc., but it's a first person "action" game, somewhat in the vein of the Bioshock and Deus Ex games, which are not really considered RPGs.

I was disappointed in the debut trailer. The cinematics are nice, but I really wanted to see some actual gameplay.

Yeah, I hope they release a trailer that shows off gameplay in the not so distant future... The CG was nice and all but ultimately irrelevant as I will weigh the game on it's merits. At least the settings looks interesting... I guess the trailer did it's job because I hadn't really heard of it till I came here.

Is this even vaguely an rpg? I see comments about choices, but they don't always result in consequences.

I'm sure it is as much an RPG as any game from the ME franchise...

None of the recent ones I remember had any gameplay. For some reason that seems to have become the industry standard. I liked it though, I really like the visual style.

Leading with a cinematic trailer allows you to raise awareness of the game long before it's finalized enough to make a gameplay trailer.

Perhaps we will see some gameplay footage at E3.

None of the recent ones I remember had any gameplay. For some reason that seems to have become the industry standard. I liked it though, I really like the visual style.

A couple of new videos that contain a little bit of gameplay footage mixed in with clips from the CGI trailer, screenshots and concept art:

Machinima Interview

PC Gamer Interview

A podcast featuring discussion with the Dishonored developers has been posted.

It's brief, but contains some juicy details about the gameplay and sandbox features.

EDIT: plus some new screens -

6982702040_398dd5fa55_c.jpg

"Wind blast against weepers"

7128786835_0534c702ae_c.jpg

"Grenade blast"

7128786781_de397a4f42_c.jpg

"Sniping from the Golden Cat"

6982701934_036dbd493e_c.jpg

"Hamam"

Last edited:
Those screens look like they might be "touched up" a bit.

Still not quite sure what to make of this game.

Based on debut CG trailer I've seen I can say it looks very nice. I hope it is something in style of DE: HR (with high-level RPG elements) not something like Bioshock. By the way I'm tired of Gothic fictions and wanna play some Sci Fi games, these are reasons have made this game for me one of the most anticipated games of 2012. I wish to be revealed some other "gameplay" trailer at E3.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom