The GeForce 9-series has been released

I'll be getting that exact monitor in the next couple of months.

How is that for gaming? I've currently got a 24' HP ZR24w IPS display, and it's no gaming monitor, but it works just fine. Any idea how that one is? I've been fantasizing about getting a huge monitor, but never got around to it.

How is that for gaming? I've currently got a 24' HP ZR24w IPS display, and it's no gaming monitor, but it works just fine. Any idea how that one is? I've been fantasizing about getting a huge monitor, but never got around to it.

I haven't tried it yet, but the reviews suggest it's a good monitor for gaming, considering it's not a gaming monitor. So, it will likely depend on how demanding you are. It's probably not an ideal gaming monitor.

Frankly, I've never been capable of spotting all the various flaws in monitors when it comes to gaming. People talk about input delays and poor response times, etc., but I guess I'm just really lucky in that I haven't been able to tell much of a difference between all the monitors I've tried.

They've all been pretty good to me, and I've had quite a few of them.

I would make sure to get a monitor with G-Sync suppport, otherwise it doesn't matter so much.

EDIT: It is probably better not to buy a monitor right now, instead wait a little for G-Sync / freeSync to mature, I wouldn't buy a new monitor right now without these features, because it is the first thing to make a difference in monitors for a very long time!

Last edited:
Very few monitors support G-Sync, AFAIK. The ones I've seen are either too small or way too expensive.

I've just purchased a gtx 980 - had a voucher to soften the blow! My 1st upgrade in some time - my old card is a GTX 480. That said, I only game at HD/1080 @ 21"... I have a small desk with my monitor printer etc, so I simply can't sit that far from the display - a large display wouldn't make sense for me.

In terms of performance, I was OK for most games with the GTX 480 (unless eveyrthing was maxed on some titles). Still, I am hoping that this will last for a another good few years. Next, have to finally get an SSD and upgrade my mobo+CPU (have a 2-3 yr old i7 quad core...) But that can wait a little longer...

Very few monitors support G-Sync, AFAIK. The ones I've seen are either too small or way too expensive.

Well, Since your monitor is broken, you might not have the chance to wait, but it is a really nice feature... so I would wait until it became more affordable.

I am still using an ancient monitor, because almost nothing has happened since v-sync... but now I'll upgrade as soon as g-sync gets affordable.

Well, Since your monitor is broken, you might not have the chance to wait, but it is a really nice feature… so I would wait until it became more affordable.

I am still using an ancient monitor, because almost nothing has happened since v-sync… but now I'll upgrade as soon as g-sync gets affordable.

It sounds good in theory, but it's the kind of feature I'd have to see with my own eyes before I trust it actually works.

A friend of mine has the Asus monitor with G-Sync, and I briefly saw him play Diablo 3 on it. It had a very slight delay in the sync process - as far as I could see. That's not acceptable to my eyes, so I'm not jumping on that train just yet.

Besides, I've been able to solve most of my vsync issues in games in some other way. You can always lock frame rate, for instance.

It sounds good in theory, but it's the kind of feature I'd have to see with my own eyes before I trust it actually works.

A friend of mine has the Asus monitor with G-Sync, and I briefly saw him play Diablo 3 on it. It had a very slight delay in the sync process - as far as I could see. That's not acceptable to my eyes, so I'm not jumping on that train just yet.

Besides, I've been able to solve most of my vsync issues in games in some other way. You can always lock frame rate, for instance.

Yes waiting is probably smart, it might be better to buy a cheap monitor now and buy a new one once the G-Sync is more mature, it is hard to know if issues would be on monitors right now or NVidia side, it'd be a pity to find out the early monitors had issues so you'd need to buy a new one.

Yes waiting is probably smart, it might be better to buy a cheap monitor now and buy a new one once the G-Sync is more mature, it is hard to know if issues would be on monitors right now or NVidia side, it'd be a pity to find out the early monitors had issues so you'd need to buy a new one.

I obviously don't think G-Sync is as important as you do ;)

I've already set my mind on the BenQ monitor, so that's most likely what I'll end up with.

Its not like I am going to buy AMD card any time soon but if you got G-Sync monitor, I guess you are locked to Nvidia cards?

Yes, yes, I should probably edit my post, to say that don't buy any monitor right now, freeSync is coming any day now according to the news, I guess my point was I wouldn't buy a new large monitor without these features right now, because once they are ready I think they'll make a big difference!

No, it makes a decision to wait easier :)

The mid-range model GTX 960 has hit the market, too. -> 200€

Last edited:
Let me know when you see reviews with older hardware. I would like to know how much of a boost I can expect if I upgrade to the GTX 960 from a Radeon 6850 on an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T non-OC.

Exactly.
Forget those two, buy 960.

Well, not if I want to run Witcher 3 in the highest settings possible. And I intend to do that. The way I look at it is, the 980 is better than the Titan, at a cheaper price. I don't usually go all out on cards, but for Witcher 3, I am planning on doing it.

I don't believe 960 can't run TW3 on highest settings possible. Then again, noone tested it yet. :D

I don't believe 960 can't run TW3 on highest settings possible. Then again, noone tested it yet. :D

Well, I've no idea about that. But I'd like it to run full settings at 2560 x 1440 at 60 fps. Plus, I'm sure it'll have some option similar to TW2's uber-sampling which floored even the best cards when that came out.

No, it makes a decision to wait easier :)

Yep. I haven't played a game yet that I can't run at max settings with my 770 OC. I briefly considered getting a 980, but now I'm definitely waiting for the 980 Ti, even if it's delayed until the 2nd half of the year like the rumors say.

Back
Top Bottom