First Successful COOP RPG Game?

SirDeity

Watchdog
I'm first and foremost a Piranha Bytes fan and have been since the very first US release of Gothic, so I'm really hoping they'll tackle this idea before anyone else beats them to the punch, because Piranha Bytes are the masters of AI and storyline nonlinearity.

The most common question that people ask when considering a coop RPG is, "how could both players effect the storyline simultaneously" without diminishing the immersive quality of the game or "suspension of disbelief," as it is referred to in the movie industry. Well, the solution is obvious (though hardly realized): two variables working in synchronization and in perfect harmony in such a way as to introduce a whole new element to the game; player-to-player interactions based on player-to story-to player (and vice versa) decision making, which is beyond the realm of what is feasible in generic multiplayer or MMO games.

Consider a scenario where such a storyline consists of two players, each receiving different dialogue options from different NPCs, with their responses and actions aligning their general attitudes toward one another as a function of consequence, which serves to overshadow your typical sense of camaraderie. Perhaps in said scenario the ending could result in the two players battling it out against eachother in a climactic final battle, or perhaps they meet one another and join forces together. Sound appealing? I know I'd buy it.

With the millions spent on MMOs, it surprises me that no game development company (that I'm aware) has successfully created and released a COOP RPG game on such a scale as what I've described. Imagine the Gothic games or Risen with COOP, without sacrificing the integrity of the storyline or its nonlinearity? I would have been far more likely to convince my friends and neighbors to buy the game to play it with me, for each new COOP partner brings with him a unique storyline progression, and thus a whole new experience. Don't get me wrong, I loved Risen and the Gothic games and I still praise and recommend them to all my friends, but I can't help but feel COOP is the next logical step in the evolution of RPG gaming. If Piranha Bytes would be so bold as to tackle this idea in Risen 2, for example, it just might give them yet another boost to their success and renown.

Please share your thoughts, but try not to be too pessimistic. I lost KaiRo's (Kai Rosenkranz) email, so if anyone still has it, please send him a shout. Maybe he would be so kind as to share his thoughts on the subject, too.

I think it would be hard to have any narrative-heavy RPG be coop. I mean you make some good suggestions and I suppose I could be wrong, but I just don't see it ever working in a way that would make both players feel like they have equal effect on the world or story.

…but I can't help but feel COOP is the next logical step in the evolution of RPG gaming.

Each to his own - but, God, I hope not.

I certainly don't mind if someone wants to tackle the idea but I see too many pitfalls. And consider, for all the work that would be required to script reactivity to two players, you could have made a single-player game with four times as many options and paths.

In practice, I see this as difficult. Are you going to force players to complete a complex storyline together? If my neighbour is too busy, what happens to that reactivity? When I'm talking to NPC "A", does he have to sit and wait? How much more dialogue scripting is required to offer both multiple options from the NPC and reactivity to the options I chose?

I just don't see a company taking the risk that a complex coop market exists (as opposed to an action game, or even doing a MMO instance.

But good luck!

Wouldn't your proposal work against the coop aspect? When I play a game coop I want to play and interact with my friends, not split apart and possibly join up later in the game.

One of the things I've never seen done is attach a narrative to a PC that is not the main PC. You can have random quests attached to a player or based on faction but they assume one player. I think it could easily be done based on the character in question. In BG that could have been done easily (or with significant complications) but Bio chose not to.

Since devs primarily write to the focus group and the overwhelming majority of players play solo this isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It might be a good idea in a MMOG, especially for one that requires party play, but devs don't like spending resources where they don't think they are going to be used.

I think of having a Paladin in my party in ToEE. He caused two incidents - one was a refusal to allow an NPC join my party; and they other by calling out an in dungeon shopkeeper for the deceptive evil he was (as they all are). I as a single player had no control over that. I can the same sequence of events in a MP co-op setting.

NWN was originally designed for co-op MP with a DM. Party focus was the default setting for a number of built in script functions: in particular the player journal. And in a NWN PW you could focus quests on a single player without sharing it with the party so everyone could have a chance to play it.

So I don't see why not. Can't say its ever been on a serious level, but it could make marketing sense if a dev is pushing for MP (and people buying more copies) or for replay value giving the game more shelf life by enriching the experience.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge seems to be the coop "evolution" in RPG`s. Perhaps not what you had in mind though….

Last edited:
Cooperative RPG games are probably my favorite kind.

Lots of games have done it with success, and I consider games like NWN to be among the very best examples of how to do it.

A true Gothic/Risen sequel with full cooperative play, would be like a dream come true for me.

That said, I know most traditional CRPG fans are solo players, and the most common argument against cooperative play, is that the feature would inevitably take away from the game - because it requires development resources.

Personally, I don't think it has to be quite as clear-cut as that - because it's all about planning wisely from a strong original vision. But, there's really no way around the fact that resources would be used - that could potentially be used somewhere else.

But it's really a design challenge, and you have to start out from the very beginning, with a vision that takes into account X players for every feature implemented. It's by no means something I think is easy - but also not as hard as some might think - it's just something that just isn't done much. NWN proved how a game with a strong narrative can be done - by having all text/speech available at any time - and without having to be present. Beyond that, it's a matter of designing quests with goals that are independent of who completes them, and several MMOs have demonstrated how such things can work in a party.

There's probably no way to get around that the narrative/story and presentation will have to be different. It's hard to personalise a story for several people, but I'm sure there are ways to do that - we just haven't seen it yet.

It's a sacrifice I'd gladly make - but that's because I'm a big fan of cooperative and social experiences with friends. People who prefer to play alone will naturally differ.

So, I don't think it's going to happen until a developer takes a chance, or the general attitude changes. MMOs are doing things to change the perception of gaming - but there are still countless solo players who would never want cooperative play - unless they can feel sure it won't hurt their own experience.

Two Worlds 2 is probably the closest thing to what you're talking about, so far, but it's still the wrong implementation. The right implementation would be to have all content available for both cooperative and solo play. I don't really understand why they didn't do it like that - because obviously their current approach must have had a high development cost, and it seems it would be smarter to adapt the design to either full cooperative play or solo play.

But, I'd love for some company to take the first step after Bioware did NWN.

Just don't underestimate the majority vote - and the passion with which solo players want to hold on to solo-only designs.

Yes coop RPG with narration isn't a new thing, NWN isn't really a new thing. Perhaps it got its success less than from having coop than from allowing user made campaigns, but it's still Coop RPG with Narration since a long time.

I mean you make some good suggestions and I suppose I could be wrong, but I just don't see it ever working in a way that would make both players feel like they have equal effect on the world or story.

It would beyond a doubt be a huge undertaking, but running the possibilities through my mind present no problems—only innovation and a substantial amount of work.

Each to his own - but, God, I hope not.
Why would it present a problem for the player? Taking advantage of the COOP aspect wouldn't need to be mandatory; players could still easily play the game single-player. To account for the missing variable (a second player), the developers could just create a system of random decisions by the AI to fill any voids. This would also ensure significantly enhanced replayability, which would add to the game even in single player.
I certainly don't mind if someone wants to tackle the idea but I see too many pitfalls. And consider, for all the work that would be required to script reactivity to two players, you could have made a single-player game with four times as many options and paths.
You are correct, in that the amount of attention and work required to successfully introduce COOP functionality to an RPG game of the magnitude and depth of other competitive RPG titles, such as Risen, could be used to add significant amounts of additional single player content, but my argument is that it’s already been done. There's nothing innovative about massive worlds such as Gothic 3 (in terms of size and content), and in some instances, as was the case for many in Oblivion, a massive world actually serves to take away from the game due to a lack of balance between storyline direction, mission/quest diversity, and immersion.

My argument is this: just because COOP RPG has never been successfully utilized in the past, it doesn't mean it can't be done without reducing the integrity of any of its single player qualities or limiting its potential for greatness. So why not divert some attention to something truly innovative and new, and seize the opportunity to be among the first to ever accomplish such a feat?

What pitfalls do you see? Let's consider them with more discussion.
In practice, I see this as difficult. Are you going to force players to complete a complex storyline together? If my neighbor is too busy, what happens to that reactivity? When I'm talking to NPC "A", does he have to sit and wait? How much more dialogue scripting is required to offer both multiple options from the NPC and reactivity to the options I chose?
In COOP mode, the storyline would essentially be the same as single player, except with one exception: the second player would take control of the decision making process which is randomly (perhaps not entirely random, but you get the idea) performed by an intelligent AI system in single player. Talking to an NPC shouldn't pause the game. One player could talk to one NPC while the other talks to a different one or leaves the area entirely to go off questing on his or her own. There wouldn't need to be any waiting involved whatsoever.

Q1:How much more dialogue would be required?
A1:Only that supplied by the second player's character and slight alterations by NPC dialogue to acknowledge the right player. In programming, the application might look something like "[variablename], it's good to see you! Now, go fetch me a cup of tea before I teach you how to play chess."

Q2:Reactivity limitations?
A2:The amount of player to player interaction should be entirely based on the players! If player A wants to go hunt with player B (after they've officially crossed paths for the first time in the storyline), but player B doesn't want to, there shouldn't be anything forcing player B to go meet up with player A. The player to player mechanics should work very similar to your typical MMORPG. The main different in a COOP RPG would be a heavily story driven mechanic which allows for enhanced replayability by vastly increasing the nonlinearity of the game. The linearity should be dependent on the two primary variables, the players.
I just don't see a company taking the risk that a complex coop market exists (as opposed to an action game, or even doing a MMO instance.
If executed properly, the risk can be minimized or even completely eliminated. As previously stated, a COOP feature shouldn't diminish the quality of single player. Both possibilities can exist in perfect harmony. The only obstacle I can foresee is a willingness to invest the resources necessary in order to make it a reality.

On a side note, for the past three years or so I've managed a Steam community of about 75 people. It is a private community, or clan if you prefer, consisting of mostly close friends. Many of us play games together after work or classes everyday. We don't just play one game. We always look at what games are available for multiplayer and COOP. I strongly believe, in large part from exposure, that sharing a great gaming experience with a friend can only enhance it. We don't play just one game or even one genre.

My friends and I bounce back and forth between many games, including Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Warcraft III, Starcraft II, Kane & Lynch 2, Dead Rising 2, Empire: Total War, Killing Floor, Resident Evil, and even some MMOs. Of all these examples, none are RPG games with a single player feel or depth of storyline. Is this because it is impossible? Or is it merely because, like everyone who doubted the Wright brothers before their successful flight on December 17th, 1903, no one believes it is possible?

Wouldn't your proposal work against the coop aspect? When I play a game coop I want to play and interact with my friends, not split apart and possibly join up later in the game.
Once you meet in the game for the first time, whether two players choose to share in their journey should be entirely up to them (perhaps with a few story driven exceptions, but not to such an extent as to forcefully eliminate the potential for a strong player to player interactive progression).

Since devs primarily write to the focus group and the overwhelming majority of players play solo this isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It might be a good idea in a MMOG, especially for one that requires party play, but devs don't like spending resources where they don't think they are going to be used.
I've been a gamer for about 20 years (27 years old now). I've played and beaten 100s of games and have founded and lead various gaming communities ranging from MMORPGs including EverQuest, EverQuest 2, 9 Dragons, and 2 Moons, to regular multiplayer games including MOHAA, BF2, and BC2. And now I manage a Steam community which encompasses a vast number of games with unlimited potential. If there is anything I've learned from all of this, it's that players enjoy sharing fun experiences. What makes them fun is irrelevant. The point of this discussion, however, is an unrealized foundation for a new kind of fun; a fun inspired by the basic understanding that people are inherently social beings. As with any successful game, success or failure depends on maintaining a certain balance which enhances the overall quality without compromising any specific key aspects.

A true Gothic/Risen sequel with full cooperative play, would be like a dream come true for me.
For any fan with the ability to dream freely, without the confines of being unable to see beyond firsthand experience, the feeling would be mutual.

That said, I know most traditional CRPG fans are solo players, and the most common argument against cooperative play, is that the feature would inevitably take away from the game - because it requires development resources.
The whole basis for my argument is that taking away from the game is not an inevitability, or prerequisite to COOP gameplay potential. In a sense, AI has always served to fill a void that was never realized. The AI behaves in a way based in part on single player decision making, and on another part by linear storyline mechanics. Adding a second player would, if done successfully, only serve to replace the linearity of a single player storyline experience. Thus a truly nonlinear (or at least, to an exponential degree of magnitude) potential would be possible. For example, if upon player A's first meeting of player B, player B decides to kill player A, it's game over for player A. Don't like it? Choose your COOP partner more carefully? Sound unfair? How is it different than being killed by an AI monster in a single player game? There is no difference from player A's perspective, but from player B's perspective, the game continues and (presumably), he or she derives tremendous satisfaction from defeating his or her player counterpart and ultimately proceeds as if it were a single player game (with AI filling any voids left behind by player A's inability to impact the storyline). Is it complicated? Sure. Impossible? Far from it.

Yes coop RPG with narration isn't a new thing, NWN isn't really a new thing. Perhaps it got its success less than from having coop than from allowing user made campaigns, but it's still Coop RPG with Narration since a long time.
NWN is a fine game, to be sure, but it is very different from games like Oblivion, Gothic, Risen, Fallout, Dragon Age, Mafia II, Thief, etc… NWN is a very linear game by comparison. The sense of immersion is hardly comparable. The AI is extremely limited. And there is virtually no "player-story-player" interaction from what I can recall. I believe a game like Risen 2, without sacrificing any of the most appreciated qualities witnessed in Risen, with COOP would be a tremendous success. It would essentially set a new standard for RPG games, having an impact similar to the success of the original Gothic and with the publicity of Gothic 2 or Oblivion. There is no stronger or more persuasive advertisement than word of mouth. And let's face it, if Piranha Bytes introduced COOP in Risen 2, who wouldn't try convincing all of their friends to buy it? At that point, recommending a game to a friend becomes no longer an altruistic endeavor, but rather one which might result in an enjoyment that can be shared simultaneously.

Last edited:
Me, I do not want to be forced to play any kind of co-op game if I don't want to.

If I can't play any singleplayer offline games (I'm okay with party-based) anymore, then I'm out of gamin.

Or rather, I'll completely turn towards the adventure games genre. Hopefully this genre won't be infected by the coop/multiplayer virus ... But I fear it will be so, one day ...

Since the earliest beginnings of people crying out for MP versions of singleplayer games, I had the feeling as if this was going to rape the single player mentaliry - in term o games. ANY MP game just FEELS completely different compared to a game explicitely made for singleplayer only !

As I found out the additional stuff that NEVER EVER appears in he singleplayer campaign of ungeon Siege 1 (and yes, I played it through !), I became enraged : This was the perfect example of developers making a game explicitely for multiplayer fans and slabbing an ininspired, dull, boring (I actually was happy that it was finally ended ! It felt to me like a being forced to eat a bad-tasting meal until the end !) SP expansion to it ... I could feel that every possible energy was put into the MP part of it, meanwhile they had no inspiration or desire at all to make the SP part any fun ... That's how I perceived this game. I felt like being treated third class.

Since then, I have grown to become very suspicious of this trend. I just want to play single player games in their own right and I just don't want to be treated by the MP gaming community like some sort of small idiot hanging to some really ANCIENT ideas ...

But I fear that the MP community will win, at last. I expect MP to become some kind of indirect DRM. Singleplayer will die out or drift towards some consoles. There, at least, I can be left alone, happily playing my own RPG ...

The MP community is a loud force, and more and more devlopers listen to them - hence the explosion of MMOs. And they force the SP players to become silent. I don't want to play a game like Sacred 2, which has an MP engine underlying, and to which the SP part just looks like an MP game with no-one participating. I just hate being treated like that.

I'm sure having cooperative play as a feature in an open world game would completely destroy gaming for you, Alrik :)

But I fear that the MP community will win, at last. I expect MP to become some kind of indirect DRM. Singleplayer will die out or drift towards some consoles. There, at least, I can be left alone, happily playing my own RPG …

I think there will still be mainstream singleplayer games, but they will be more like services. Always online with unlocks and such, like a singleplayer MMO. This will happen to consoles too, expect the next generation of consoles to be built to be online all the time, and to have DRM on disc purchases.

I'm sure having cooperative play as a feature in an open world game would completely destroy gaming for you, Alrik :)

I once played coop with Blizzard's second Action-RPG with some forummembers of the Larian boards ages ago (must've been 2004 or so).

I must say I loved it. It was fun. Helping each other.

But it was still online, and, well, this was the MP part of it.

Me, I still want MP and SP to remain two different things.

Back
Top Bottom