Recommend me a rpg to play

P

purpleblob

As many of you guys already know, I'm a big BG2 fan and I have never seen a game as good as BG2. That was one of the reasons I haven't been catch up with many rpgs of late (didn't find other games fun... yes I'm very biased). And now my addiction to WoW is wearing off, I am in search for a good single player pc rpg to play. Preferably released after 2000, with good NPC interaction and good interface (not with horrible camera settings like NWN2). If good romance is included, thats a bonus for me. Please do not recommend me action rpg like Diablo. I hate them.

I have played follow rpgs already: BG series, PS:T, Morrowind, Oblivion, IWD series, Diablo series, Arcanum, NWN series. Ehhh I think thats it.

And one more question: I was thinking, maybe I will give a go with either Kotor or Jade Empire. Which one do you think is better one out of two?

what about Mass Effect & Fallout 3?

also between Kotor or Jade Empire, my preference will be on Kotor. :)

Gothics, Arx Fatalis, Witcher, Divine Divinity (maybe, but you'd hate the first part and likely never get to the brilliant sections).

I couldn't finish Jade Empire, of the two games you mentioned, Knights of the Old Republic 2 is WAY better in my opinion. Mass Effect is OK, too. Wizardry 8 still holds up fairly well for an older game, and is my favorite of all of these games, just a little older. I'd try to track down a copy with a printed manual, though, if they sell them anymore. Just a few suggestions.

I couldn't finish Jade Empire, of the two games you mentioned, Knights of the Old Republic 2 is WAY better in my opinion. Mass Effect is OK, too.

I'm the exact opposite, I thought Jade Empire was pretty good, although it can't compare to BG2 of course.:) I thought KotOR was very bland even though I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I had to actually force myself to even finish it. As a result, I never even played KotOR 2.

Wizardry 8 still holds up fairly well for an older game, and is my favorite of all of these games, just a little older. I'd try to track down a copy with a printed manual, though, if they sell them anymore. Just a few suggestions.

Definitely agree, Wiz 8 is a fantastic game, although commanding a party from a first-person view takes some getting used to.

Nope never played Gothic series. When were they released? I heard Gothic 3 is very buggy. My bf plan to get The Witcher soon so I will grab that off from him once he is finished... ;)

Ok, maybe I should have been more specfic.... Kotor 1 vs Kotor 2 vs Jade Empire. Which one do you guys recommend?

Jade Empire! it is at least 10 times better than the Kotor

Last edited:
What story twist ? I played through Kotor and did not experiance any story twists.

BG2 is really the best party-based RPG out there IMHO. You wont find anything like it. If romance and dialogue are important I'd recommend the Witcher and Kotor2. Kotor 1 is decent as well (they are fairly loosely connected so you dont lose out on anything by skipping one of the games). Havent tried Jade Empire, but if you like the Kung Fu setting it should be worthwhile. All of those use an engine similar to NWN2 but without the camera issues (I dont really understand how they could mess up the camera in a NEWER game:p).

Gothic 1 and 2 have pretty good NPCs and story but it's a very different experience, and you spend a lot of time on (relatively unforgiving) combat. The controls also take some time getting used to (though many who take that time appreciate them).

I'm the exact opposite, I thought Jade Empire was pretty good, although it can't compare to BG2 of course.:) I thought KotOR was very bland even though I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I had to actually force myself to even finish it. As a result, I never even played KotOR 2.

Kotor 2 has a much more grown up atmosphere compared to the first game and is IMHO way better, but the ending is incomplete (hopefully the restoration project will rectify that some day). Not having an annoying teenage girl in the crew was a major plus.

Oh - and take a look at my Divine Divinity retrospective - I recommend it but am biased because I totally love it. It is hard because of the a-RPG mechanic.

Arcanum is also brilliant, replaying that a little at a time now.

Definitely recommend the Gothic games, Wiz8, and others mentioned. I prefer KotOR to Jade Empire, but like all three (both KotOR's).

Nope never played Gothic series. When were they released? I heard Gothic 3 is very buggy. My bf plan to get The Witcher soon so I will grab that off from him once he is finished... ;)

Gothic 3 was a failure. It's still better than all those faceless Diablo clones, but the semi-broken combat system ruined it. PB took too much inspiration from Bethesda and lost some of their key strengths on the way. Now they turned around 180° for Risen.
Gothic and G2 were masterpieces though. Hard, unforgiving, polarizing games. The Gothics have hands down the best, most lively world in a 3D RPG. The only problem: The combat system is usually not love on first sight. You can really feel how your character gets better, but before that you're dying so often that you're not sure you've understood the system.
You have to give them a try someday. There's a certain chance you'll hate them, but a bigger chance you'll find out they are indeed two of the best RPGs ever.

Ok, maybe I should have been more specfic.... Kotor 1 vs Kotor 2 vs Jade Empire. Which one do you guys recommend?
KotOR is great. Less hardcore than Baldur's Gate. KotOR 2 is more ambitious and more unfinished. Unofficial patches may have fixed a couple of issues though.

Arcanum is fun, very hardcore, but old, ugly, and with fairly stinky combat and party control. If the looks of Arcanum arent a problem I'd guess Fallout 1 and 2 are sensible recommendations as well.

There's a ton of RPG's people have mentioned here that I haven't played. But I'm nearing the end of The Witcher myself, and I'd have to say that imo it's the most accessible game to fit your requirements that I know of. It's far easier than Gothics (my next favorites) and has great dialogue (make sure you get the enhanced version), engaging story and even a splash of romance.

The main character, however, is very defined in terms of personality and appearance, so if you don't like him, you won't like the game. That's the way it seemed to be with a lot of reviewers at least - for some reason they just didn't "get" Geralt and expected to have full customization of their character.

With regards to KotOR or JE I'd just pick the one that suits your tastes the most. There is loads of NPC interaction in the KotOR games and probably all Bioware games since BG2 so I think you'll enjoy them.

If you missed that you are in no position to comment ... I'm surprised you noticed a Star Wars connection

OOps well I played through the entire game, from beginning to end :S Obviously I was missing something! I did notice it had jedi's and lightsabers etc though, so I did see a star wars connection? could someone post in a spoiler tag what happend ?

The famous twist is that you are Darth Revan although it's heavily hinted at before the revelation in the game.

Well among KOTOR 1 ,KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire I would recommend you KotOR 1 hands down.
In KotOR 1 after you discover 3rd of 4th Star Map you find out that you are someone important.
Bastila:The jedi do not believe in killing their prisoners,No one deserves execution no matter what their crimes.
Carth:They say the Force can do terrible things to a mind:it can wipe away your memory and destroy your very identity ,
Bastila:What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause?

Try Gothic either 1 or 2(vanilla).Dont try Gothic 2 Night of Raven cause its too difficult for someone new to the Gothic world.Gothic 3 is good but not as good as 1 or 2 .You should also try Witcher EE it rocks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom