Risen - Report @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alec Meer from Rock, Paper, Shotgun has decided to blog his time with Risen, ultimately ending up with report that will be more comprehensive than a traditional review. Alec hasn't played any of the Gothics, and so comes to this with an apparently open mind. The first two parts (one, two) are up and here's a snip:
Granted, the game hasn’t told me how to dodge or block yet, but I’ve worked it out myself. If the gnomes hit me, most of my health bar disappears. So I don’t let them hit me. What’s the big problem here? I’m feeling cocky, and so far I’m getting away with it. I’m also understanding why Gothic/Risen’s fanbase can be a bit sneery towards other RPGs – it is satisfying to conquer something that’s a little unforgiving. Where I disagree with them is that I’m entirely happy for harder RPGs to co-exist with ones that show you every rope or have a magic compass that tells you exactly where to go: diversity is a good thing.
The fight takes a little while, as these ugly midgets turn out to be pretty hardy, but so long as I dodge as well as hammer attack, it’s thoroughly in my favour. I’m rewarded with access to chests containing gold, health potions, some food, a sword and a sickle. This latter ensures the next gnome-packed room is a whole lot easier, though the greater number of minimen in there makes dodging a little more complicated.
I don’t know what Risen’s combat is going to ultimately become, but what I’m enjoying so far (and is still the case later, when I’m fighting the hungry wolves that some demo players have complained about) is that it’s something I have to pay attention to. It doesn’t require awkward key combinations or a complex knowledge of statistics – it just requires not letting my guard down, and feeling as tense as focused as I would in a real fight. I mean, I guess. I don’t fight a lot of people. Only toddlers, really, and they don’t hit back very hard.
More information.

Where I disagree with them is that I?m entirely happy for harder RPGs to co-exist with ones that show you every rope or have a magic compass that tells you exactly where to go: diversity is a good thing.

diversity might be a good thing, but a game rated 16+ is not supposed to be attuned to suit the needs of kid entering elementary school next year.
________
Alaska Dispensary

Last edited:
diversity might be a good thing, but a game rated 16+ is not supposed to be attuned to suit the needs of kid entering elementary school next year.

I think you're confused.

Age has no inherent or direct connection with how much of an enthusiast you are, or how much you're willing to invest in any particular passtime.

While I personally prefer the "hardcore" approach, I see no point in arguing that my preference should be universal. That would be extremely selfish and narrowminded of me.

I was actually going to say something in response to the article, and how the author is mistaken if he thinks us enthusiasts don't want both options to exist - but then you're proving me wrong, aren't you.

Back
Top Bottom