The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Great sounding guitar :) I'm happy with my Epiphone Joe Pass model which is a great jazz guitar (at a reasonable price) :)

The other night we came across Nine Inch Nails live on PBS (Austin City Limits) ... quite cool, and the song stuck in my head ever since is "Copy of a"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk

I think one of the powers of Youtube is the journeys you can take, starting with an idea and going from there. This particular journey started with trying to identify a bass sound from what I thought it was and splintering off from there. Here's where I ended up, I think Mike might find this semi-interesting. It's much closer to jazz than I usually get. Still has that sense of coherent melody that I often find missing in Mike's jazz, but some weird shit thrown in for good measure.

When I grow up, I want to be Tony Levin. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGX3lio1C0

LOVE Tony Levin since seeing him live with King Crimson back in '81/82 ... followed him since and have actually been in touch through his production company the last several years for revewing new albums ... amazing musician, great guy.

Start with that 80s bass, vaguely remember hearing Wal mentioned.

Nope, but how about Wal fretless. That's the right stuff for a lot of the songs, but what about Peter Gabriel's "I Don't Remember"? Not quite the same.

Some nobody doing it on a Chapman Stick. Yep, that's the sound. Remember Tony Levin.

Look for some live clips to see if Levin's actually doing the Gabriel song on a Stick. No luck.

Enjoy several Tony Levin "noodling" vids. That's what I'd want to sound like if I had any talent for it.

Watch some dude with a custom 12 string bass named Sophia. Watch a video of Tal Wilkenfeld. Watch an impressive performance from Victor Wooten where he breaks a string during a long solo and just keeps playing anyway. But what's this Stickmen thing?

Hmmm, that's pretty amazing stuff that I've never even heard of.

End journey.

Great sounding guitar :) I'm happy with my Epiphone Joe Pass model which is a great jazz guitar (at a reasonable price) :)
]

I have a Yamaha 620, which is also a value guitar, and it's more than adequate for me. I won't allow myself a fancy guitar until I deserve it, or I'd just feel like a poser.

I find that the greatest bands have the effect of creating their own special universe. You know when you're entering Beatles Space, or Led Zep Space, or Pink Floyd Space. I have created long playlists of my favourites, to enjoy hours in these realms while I'm working at home.

Was life better when we use to trade tapes or now just messing around on you tube?

I dont even really think of Rush as Prog Rock. I mean, I guess some of the early stuff could be, but I still dont put them in the same group as say Pink Floyd, or Yes, or something like that

Edit: Rush is waaaaaaaay more prog rock than #42 Meshuggah

Never really got into the prog rock thing, but supposedly this tune is considered part of the sub-genre. Had never heard of it until a friend of mine put it on his radio show at the college station. That goes back a day or two...
"Kayleigh" by Marillion

Never really got into the prog rock thing, but supposedly this tune is considered part of the sub-genre. Had never heard of it until a friend of mine put it on his radio show at the college station. That goes back a day or two…
"Kayleigh" by Marillion

Marillion had some good tunes. They were pretty much considered an early Genesis clone with their sound. They were huge for a couple of album

I liked Prog rock due to the musicianship, intricate rhythms and obtuse structures ... but then I discovered that jazz fusion was much better in that way, without the pretentious sci-fi BS crap ;) The rest is history ... but as a result I still enjoy stuff like Yes, Rush, etc.

Back
Top Bottom