Floating atoms graphics vs polygon graphics.

The old classic outcast used voxels it was really ahead of its time….. but there are some things which are not good about them… it would take too long and be too technical to explain here… but you can read about it if you google a little.

Also you can do unlimited detail with the new feature of latest graphics software GPU-accelerated tessellation features.

When I see an actual game/demo using this - running on my own system, I'll start being interested :)

Sure, it looks intriguing - but we all know how much the bullshit factor can weigh.

Look more like point sprites than voxels.

Yes, solves surface geometry problems (as do many other methods), but creates many other problems instead.

Bring on ray tracing please.

Bring on ray tracing please.
Intel had something going but it fizzled out.

Sure, it looks intriguing - but we all know how much the bullshit factor can weigh
Hehe, no the presentation doesn't inspire confidence. That their domain is registred with a hotmail account doesn't help either.

Raytracing is really the golden grail

They are not Voxels. They are point cloud.
Found this at Reddit that says otherwise. ;)

I can't wait to have my games using this tech.
It's been some time since I followed 3d development so excuse me if I'm slightly deprecated. ;) In terms of storage and aquicition it's pretty much the same, though point-clouds are irregular while voxels are regular.

What is new to me is point-cloud rendering. For detail read this explanation.

Last edited:
they already confirmed on the about section in their website that they are using voxels…. so I don't think you need to discuss. Also look at the youtube tags.

they already confirmed on the about section in their website that they are using voxels…. so I don't think you need to discuss. Also look at the youtube tags.
Makes sense. The point-cloud rendering technique stem from this article in 2005. The technique is for old fashioned polygons. It's not releated to level of detail which is promoted in the video, but is an acceleration method for incident lighting.

Their "unlimited detail" still has to adhere to reality of disk storage limitations. You see in their video that it's the same models repeated everywhere. While you might have 10-15 models of high density, as Dragon Age II has shown us, gamers aren't particularly happy about copy & paste level design. ;)

Also, here is a discussion from 2008 about the same company.
I would like nothing more than to tell the world how it is done, because the system is quite unique.
At present how ever I thank you for understanding the current need for secrecy. We had our first meeting today with a company. Where the technology could finally be explained under NDA and real time examples shown. I was pleased with the response and how quickly the system was grasped.
By no means is the system simple, but it is logical, and this adds to quick understanding.
I apologise for the impoliteness of keeping secrets, its very bad manners, and I hope to have it as publicly understood knowledge by the end of the year. We are off to America in a few weeks to see the interested parties who have invited us, there are some companies who have not yet heard of this technology who we would like to see, if any of you are from a company that does not yet have a presentation with Unlimited Detail, then please contact me.

Last edited:
The best solution is always a hybrid of existing ones imo. Just clutch Z-buffers, raytracing (etc. global illumination in general), voxels, ... and you got your killer algorithm ;-)

As far as I know that's what they do now in renderman and consorts, combine the best of Z-buffer (fast) + raytracing (refraction, reflection, fuzzy shadows) to generate all the CGI in movies. Might be wrong though, too lazy to look it up.

The guy who created Minecraft calls it BS:
http://notch.tumblr.com/
I agree mostly because of the animation argument. In general I agree if they could pull this off then I would be ground breaking but animation is tough enough with the skeleton/keyframing techniques currently used but there are no good techniques for translating that to voxels yet that I've seen.

Anyway this demo didn't show anything really related to animating humanoids or animals though they tried to give the impression it was there. I'm sure they will promise that is coming and perhaps it is but looks like it will be years before they have an engine that can really compete with ones today. Anyway I wish them luck and hope they really are successful but I think its still way to early.

It's been some time since I followed 3d development so excuse me if I'm slightly deprecated. ;) In terms of storage and aquicition it's pretty much the same, though point-clouds are irregular while voxels are regular.

What is new to me is point-cloud rendering. For detail read this explanation.

I didn't mean to stir up anything by this. I don't know zip about anything.
I thought that some new tech was going to revolutionnize our world.
That is all. :)

Back
Top Bottom