Favorite character/progression and favorite combat system?

D

DArtagnan

Mine are:

Character progression:

D&D 3.5 - and I think NWN2 and DDO are tied in terms of implementation. I'd say ToEE - but they left out too many classes and features.

Combat system:

This is a really tough one to answer, because there's so much to consider. I should probably include both party-based and single character.

Party-based:

Temple of Elemental Evil

Single character:

World of Warcraft

Character Progression

D&D – I liked 3 and 3.5 as found in NWN and NWN 2. I also liked D20 systems from SWTOR.
Morrowind – It can easily be broken but I had lot of fun with it. So many different ways in which I can build my character.

Combat system:

Party based - Mostly prefer turn based as found in Wizardy 8 and M&M games.
Action combat – TERA, the best ever combat system! When you hit or got hit, you will feel the impact in real life! I played the Lancer class and it’s the only game ever in which I actually felt like tank.
Non Action combat – EQ2 and WoW.

I can think of many good ones but here are my favourites:

Character Progression:

Wizardry.

Party Combat:
Wizardry ( But there is just to darn much of it )
Ogre Tactics.

Single Char Combat:
Dark Souls ( nothing else I played comes close )

Might add more later.

Hmm…

Character progression for class-based is probably D&D based, with 3E/3.5E/Pathfinder systems offering the best options for building a character the way you want. Multi-class is a bit of a mess, but at least it's an option.

Skill-based/classless would probably go to either the Fallout games or the Elder Scrolls. I prefer this sort of system since it feels a bit more natural than an artificial class that's somehow inherently tied to the core of your being.

Pure RPG combat works best as turn-based, with the old Gold Box games, ToEE, Fallout 1 & 2, and Divinity: Original Sin topping the list. Adding in more strategic movement and positioning gives them an edge over the Wizardry and Might and Magic type.

I think maybe the original X-Com or Jagged Alliance 2 might qualify for best party-based combat systems - as well as Silent Storm.

But I was probably just thinking of RPGs.

Best combat turn based, chrono trigger.

Best real time, Witcher 3.

Best character progression, Planescape Torment.

I am also partial to the D&D and D20 systems from NWN and KotOR, they seem to hit the ease / complexity ratio right for me.

I also really like the Gothic system, as I feel myself getting stronger but never end up feeling over-powered.

Along those lines I also really like the way Jedi Academy handles progression - passive skills increase naturally while you choose paths and levels for active powers and even your offensive stance.

As for combat system ... hmm, for me that is entirely game dependent - I like turn-based, RtWP and real-time combat all differently depending on genre and game type.

Character Progression:

Drakensang Series - you can use your XP on the Fly to enhance your Character`s Stats (but the cost is exponentially); you can only learn magic if you are born with an affinity for it; new Spells, Skills and Feats have to be learned from Teachers or Books (and also have a high Fee in XP and Gold), wich have to be found first.
(unfortunatly the combat is not good in the series; bad in part one, bearable in part two).

Combat System:

Temple of Elemental Evil; the system with the most fun^^.

Can't think of a really good single character combat system; WoW Classic is ok, or maybe Daggerfall.

Best real time, Witcher 3.

This…for all it's flaws, there is a real, addictive sense of rhythm in Wild Hunt combat, when you master it.( too "artificial" in Arkham series)

Eh…goddammit, what's wrong with my gif image? Move, Geralt! Sorry:p.

Attachments

• insta.jpg
    insta.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Character development: D&D 3.5/Pathfinder.
Favorite combat system: Gladius: Tactical turn based, with rock/paper/scissors + neutral unit strengths, element affinity, elevation bonuses/penalties, flanking, backstabbing, position altering, line of sight, deep skill system different for each class, etc. etc. etc. Just pure perfection.

Character development: D&D 3.5/Pathfinder.
Favorite combat system: Gladius: Tactical turn based, with rock/paper/scissors + neutral unit strengths, element affinity, elevation bonuses/penalties, flanking, backstabbing, position altering, line of sight, deep skill system different for each class, etc. etc. etc. Just pure perfection.

I keep hearing about that Gladius game, but I never played it... is there anyway to get it these days ?

Mhhh ... I tend to dislike games with very visible and/or very complicated stats management systems. I find those anti-immersive, so advancement-by-doing is fine for me (like in TES). The same goes for combat: as simple and as immersive as possible, please. No micro- or macro management.

I think there something that annoys me in everything that I play when it comes to character progression and combat. I'm not a fan of the simplified/consolidated character progression we are getting now in most games, although it doesn't stop me from playing the game, it just feel so uninspired and lack "immersion".

I love to play with my character attributes, pick my skills, pick my spells, etc. I also like custom classes, advantages/disadvantages and none-combat skill choices. That means D&D 3.5 is close. I also really likes Daggerfall system.

As for combat, I'm not really picky, as long as it's not too clunky or too twitchy (my left wrist can't stand it anymore). I really liked Divinity: Original Sin early to mid-game and XCOM Enemy Unknown for turn-based though. When it comes to real time, Severance: Blade of the Darkness and Mount&Blades. Hopefully, Kingdom Comes: Deliverance delivers.

Progression: m&m 7+8. You know why.
Combat: real-time and a little bit twitch based. Like hmmm, something like the witcher I guess. Edit: or gothic 2!

Party/Turnbased: Goldbox/D:OS

Single/Realtime: Souls/Bloodborne

I keep hearing about that Gladius game, but I never played it… is there anyway to get it these days ?

It came out for the original Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube, though I think the best looking version was for the Xbox. Don't know if there are emulators you can use to get it, or if you have one of the older generation consoles and try to find it pre-owned somewhere.
If you do get it, disable the option for swing meters (so it's a pure tactical game).

Gladius is a fantastic game. Highly recommended. I played the Xbox version and my dad and I completed it a few times.

DArt, did you have to pose such a difficult question?! It's so hard to determine a "best of" anything for me, since I love so many different RPG systems and mechanics.

I guess my favorite right now is probably Temple of Elemental Evil. It's just so fun to create a party and see them grow in that game. Lots of passives to invest in, tons of feats to play with and just great progression in the true D&D style.

Favorite combat? Baldur's Gate. That game is still the pinnacle for me.

If I were creating my own RPG, I would use a system similar to Morrowind, except with a real-time-with-pause system and a first-person view. Also, party members as well, but only one character controllable. That would be quite immersive like the TES games but give you more tactical combat like in NWN. Fun stuff! =)

Character progression: M&M VII and the Drakensang games

Combat system:

- Party-based: Realms of Arkania trilogy, Drakensang, Divinity Original Sin

- Single character: Hmmmm... ummm... well.... hmmm... uuuhhhh.... well, I honestly can't really think of a single RPG that had a truly fun combat system for a single character. Skyrim maybe... I liked how it allowed total freedom in what to put in each hand and the mechanics were pretty decent

I can think of many good ones but here are my favourites:

Character Progression:

Wizardry.

Party Combat:
Wizardry ( But there is just to darn much of it )
Ogre Tactics.

Single Char Combat:
Dark Souls ( nothing else I played comes close )

Might add more later.

I would change party combat to TOEE but I would agree wholeheartedly on the rest.

Back
Top Bottom