Pillars of Eternity - GDC, Patch and Tyranny

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In a Kickstarter update for Pillars of Eternity, Brandon Adler talks about the Patch Update 3.0.2.

Today is the release of our latest game Update, 3.02. It is currently live on Steam and will be up on GoG and Origin within a day. This Update contains hundreds of great fixes and, if you haven't played Pillars in a while, it's a great time to jump back in.

Here are some of the major fixes:

• Fixed an issue where some player's game would reset after completing The White March - Part I.
  • Fixed an issue where some players couldn't activate the White Forge or enter Durgan's Battery.
  • Fixed an issue with the final Eyeless Scripted Interaction becoming stuck if you selected yourself.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would get stuck at the Caed Nua End Slide.
  • Fixed multiple issues where some players received black screens on load/transitioning.
For the full notes please head over to the Obsidian Forums and check them out.
Josh Sawyer talked at GDC:

Last week our Game Director, Josh Sawyer, gave a talk about attributes in Pillars of Eternity. The talk, Gods and Dumps: Attribute Tuning in Pillars of Eternity, gave an in depth look into the history of attributes in RPGs and how that history guided our decisions in Pillars of Eternity. If you are interested in Pillars and the systems of the game, you shouldn't miss it.

If you would like to see the slides from the talk you can get them here (PDF Warning).
And there new game Tyranny was mentioned.

More information.

+700.000 PoE sold at +40$ and still needing kickstart? Surely, I need more their money that they need the mine.

+700.000 PoE sold at +40$ and still needing kickstart? Surely, I need more their money that they need the mine.

Not sure exactly what you are talking about? They needed the funds to make the game? Sales come after the game is made...

The sales I was referring to are from their previous game (Pillars of Eternity)
I don´t know why, I was assuming that Tyranny will need another kickstart. Probably I was wrong about this point. Sorry for that.

Too bad we don't have Josh's commentary for his presentation. That PDF is hilarious (Lol-R-SK8)

I don´t know why, I was assuming that Tyranny will need another kickstart. Probably I was wrong about this point. Sorry for that.

Tyranny is being funded by Paradox.

The PDF was worth the read. I agree with the points made. Kind of funny was the closing with how he doesn't like class-based systems. I agree there too to some degree, but I also find GURPS type gaming lackluster in implementation.

I wonder if they ever fixed the stairway bug in the Defiance Bay lighthouse? That was reported to them over a year ago, but I've never seen a bug fix mentioned.

So they get a guy who doesn't like class systems to make a class system. No wonder everything doesn't feel distinctive or impactful enough.

If you consider the old model of developer/publisher… publishers usually fund developers with each game they make. So in my peanut brain way of thinking about this, it possibly makes sense to return to kickstarter for some funding when no publisher is involved.

I love class systems.

One game that I feel does class systems beautifully is Morrowind. You can use the class as a basic guideline, but it makes you feel like you really are that character. This is also due to having a bunch of major and minor skills to flesh the character out.

Also, the game has a bunch of classes, which is always a plus.

I wish a new RPG would try a class system that has, like, 50+ classes. I love oddball and unique classes. It makes your characters feel unique.

Another option they can give you is sub-classes like Baldur's Gate: EE. There, you can pick a Bard, and then choose from 5 different subsets of Bard. That, to me, is the ultimate way of creating characters. Many classes + subsets of classes makes for a very happy Fluent. :)

So they get a guy who doesn't like class systems to make a class system. No wonder everything doesn't feel distinctive or impactful enough.
Actually they got a guy that likes DnD 4e but does not like 3e or 2e to make game mechanics that are supposed to remind us of DnD 2e.
No wonder we got this shit we did.

Tyranny is being funded by Paradox.
Is it? I know it is published by them, but they also published POE and they had a Kickstarter for that. Are they now fully funding the development of the game?

I think they didn't say it, but imho it's obvious. When it releases this year, Obsidian must have gotten money to make it. 4 million Dollars of a Kickstarter doesn't keeps the company running, and I don't think there was much revenue for OEI from South Park.

I'm not completely against classes, my personal problem is, they usually don't fit to my vision of my standard character.

Is it? I know it is published by them, but they also published POE and they had a Kickstarter for that. Are they now fully funding the development of the game?

The Tyranny trademarks belong to Paradox Interactive (mentioned on official website) and they host the official forum.

Work on the game started in February 2014 according to RPGCodex "insiders", while the POE distribution deal was announced in March 2014 at GDC, 1.5 years after the kickstarter to fund the game.

I still don't see a problem. A successful Kickstarter reduces the financial risk, so it makes business sense. Even if they are getting a decent income from sales of PoE, that's only going to last for so long and then they have to get another income source. Getting the development funding up front via a Kickstarter allows them to stay independent.

I don't see a problem if they use Kickstarter, if people want to back it they will and if they don't well they don't.

Back
Top Bottom