Board games

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations on good RPG-like board games, to play with my wife. So, co-op would be nice but not a requirement, however it needs to work well for a 2-player set-up. We're both into fantasy, so…

At the moment I'm eyeing Legends of Andor. Is that any good? Does anyone have any experience with that one?

Thanks in advance!

Arkham Horror (or Eldritch Horror, I suppose, but I've not played it) and Elder Sign are quite RPGish, but obviously horror-themed rather than fantasy. They're playable with two people and you work together to win.

I've got Runebound and have had it for ages, but somehow we've never gotten around to actually playing it.

Hmm… what else is there? I've heard great things about Mice and Mystics, but that's another one I've not played myself. Same with Mage Knight. The Pathfinder card game is supposed to be good, but it's not quite a board game. I remember reading about an upcoming dungeon-crawl game that looked quite good not long ago, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called now.

I suppose there's always the Dungeons and Dragons boardgames. There's an updated version of the original Dungeon, but it's pretty basic. Castle Ravenloft and Lords of Waterdeep sound pretty good, but I've not heard much positive stuff about the Drizzt one, unsurprisingly.

Arkham Horror (or Eldritch Horror, I suppose, but I've not played it) and Elder Sign are quite RPGish, but obviously horror-themed rather than fantasy. They're playable with two people and you work together to win.

That looks kind of neat. Eldritch Horror seems based on Arkham Horror, is that correct? Which of those two would you recommend?

That looks kind of neat. Eldritch Horror seems based on Arkham Horror, is that correct? Which of those two would you recommend?

Well, I've only played Arkham Horror, but from what I've read Eldritch Horror is a more streamlined, easier-to-play version. Since AH takes many, many hours to play (we've had to leave it set up overnight before), that might be your deciding factor.

I didn't mention it, but Mansions of Madness, in the same vein, looks amazing, but since one person plays the baddie it's probably best with more than two people.

Oh, maybe take a look at Darkfast Dungeons. It's a print-and-play boardgame where you build the dungeon as you play. I picked it up recently, but haven't even had time to look at it yet.

Oh yeah, you might also want to check out games like Forbidden Island. They're not really very RPG-like, but you've got different characters and they're co-operative. They also don't take as long to play!

Last edited:
Dungeonquest with all add-ons is always my first choice for easy-to-set-up, fast to learn fantasy boardgames.

Talisman is said to be a classic.

Back
Top Bottom