Dante's Inferno

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
Came across this rather, um, gushing piece on Eurogamer about this shooter in development. It seems it's a videogame rendition of Dante Alighieri's Inferno, only instead of a boring 14,000 line conversation between two poets, Dante wields Death's scythe to mow down demons and collect souls before confronting the best end-boss ever in order to save his beloved Beatrice.

[ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dantes-inferno-hands-on-hands-on ]

Back in the game, we encounter our first taste of an interesting mechanic tied intrinsically to the poem's themes of death, sin, punishment and damnation. Faced with a demonic soul begging for your mercy you are presented with a 'moral choice': Absolve or Punish. The concept of free will is central to Dante's belief system; in the game, he is deliberately presented as a more flawed figure than in the poem. Elect to Punish and Dante slays the demon by jamming his Holy Cross into its skull. We're not able to try out Absolve, but are told it triggers a mini-game which, if beaten, rewards you with double the energy. The moral: it's harder to absolve, but the rewards are greater.

(This ought to be right up Corwin's alley anyway.)

Anyone know more? Worth following? The Eurogamer article had the PC flag flying on it, so I got kinda intrigued.

It's not a shooter. I saw a demo of it (EA folks making the rounds to other EA folks to share knowledge and such), and it's much closer to God of War, whatever genre you think of that as being.

When I saw it, I thought that even in a very early state, the combat looked promising. Some of the visuals were fantastic. Others went too far for my taste, but my taste is pretty tame. :)

Haven't played God of War (don't own a console), but I guess that's good... right? Thanks for the info. One to keep an eye on, then.

Been following this one myself, I gleaned quite a bit of info from this 7 min Gamespot interview w/ Jonathan Knight (exec producer of game)

Dante's Inferno Gamespot Interview

Looks and sounds a definite action game. The producer does hint mid-interview at some character depth in the story, but I have a notion from the overall tone of the piece that it will all shake out as another rendition of a Save the Princess action game. In the end, the original works of Dante Alighieri merely providing the ideas for different level designs.

Back
Top Bottom