Robert Jordan Oct 1948 - Sep 2007

Lucky Day

Daywatch
James Oliver Rigney, Jr., better known by his pen name Robert Jordan, died today of complications due to amyloidosis.

Jordan wrote the Wheel of Time series of Fantasy books, and since the eighth book they've been number on the New York Times Bestseller list shortly after release.

In his blog he was having it written by his friend Wilson and his wife Harriot when he couldn't but when he could he would more often than not write of his miraculous recovery.

He finally showed a small bit of fatalism when he mentioned casually that either Harriet or perhaps George RR Martin finish that final book of the series he had been working on at his death.

My only personal connection with the man was when he answered a direct question I had put to him in his blog several years back. How I came across these writings was quite back accident: I logged into a NWN server based on them. Eventually I began running that very server, and made it the one of the most involved things I have ever done. I've since re-learned to program and I'm back in University.

We'll miss you RJ, I'll look for you next time I travel through Tel'alan'rhoid.

That's a sad event. I've read and enjoyed the series and was looking forward to the final installment!!

Never read his stuff, but it is sad to see a talent like this pass relatively young.

Yeah, sad :(. He was even planning on writeing a new fantasy serie after he was done with WoT (which I hope will get the finnish it deserves despite Robert's passing), set in a Japanese/Chinese-ish setting. :(

Übereil

I've been reading the Wheel of Time series since the early 90s. In fact I just stared reading the most recent book, Knife of Dreams, last week and I was reminded how much I liked his work. He also wrote some good Conan novels in the 80s which I really enjoyed. It's very sad to see Jordan pass away. May he rest in peace.

What the hell is going on these last few days. First Benny Vansteelant, the world's greatest duathlon champion (it was news when he didn't win), died cause of the complication of a bike-car accident during his bike training. Then there is Collin McRae who died in a helicoptercrash together with his 5y old son. And now there is this. I know that there are people dying everywhere every day, but it's weird that on such a short notice known people die before their time.

What the hell is going on these last few days. First Benny Vansteelant, the world's greatest duathlon champion (it was news when he didn't win), died cause of the complication of a bike-car accident during his bike training. Then there is Collin McRae who died in a helicoptercrash together with his 5y old son. And now there is this. I know that there are people dying everywhere every day, but it's weird that on such a short notice known people die before their time.

I know, and jazz legend Joe Zawinal just a few days ago ...

Seems like death amongst the famous often comes in flurries--maybe it's an astrological thing. It's sad to see such a prolific writer cut short, even though I gave up on WoT after book 6 or so. Some of his work is extremely well-imagined and even groundbreaking stuff.

Well it wasn't sudden. He had been in treatment for over a year. So as much as he was giving praise reports it was definitely clear that it could happen and there have been arrangements made, even with his final book.

RJ once remarked that he would be writing until that last nail was in his coffin. He did a very rare thigk and was a highly successful writer. The world is better today for it and he had the life that he wished. It was cut short suddenly but even his family understood that it was God's plan. It may not make much sense to us but we're better off to have him in it, and I can say that never having met him.

Cornie but for sure.

Rest in peace Jordan, I wasn't the biggest wheel of time fan, so it would false from me to praise the series to high heavens now. Although I will gladly give him some credit for creating such a massive and unique world. Some books were good and some weren't, but I quess its the constant problem of every writer who has to keep long lasting series going on. More memorable for me however were his Conan novels. I read them few years ago and truly enjoyed them a lot.

Last edited:
Damn it. Ever since I found out he had been diagnosed with a terminal illness, I've been crossing everything that can be crossed that he would be able to do as he said he would in his blog and beat the odds and finish the last book before the end.

I've been following The Wheel of Time since the mid 90'ies and I was really hoping he would be able to end his legacy to the world himself.

Thanks for the memories. :)

Does anyone know the current status of the final WoT novel?

A very sad day. He had enormous talent- I have read all of his books and was looking forward to the last one. On his blog (http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/) his cousin mentioned he had told the story of the last book to his wife so hopefuly the spirit of it will come out. I will be thiking of Robert and his family- he died before his time. Rest in peace.

That is very sad. I own all the Wheel of Time books, and while I was aware he has been ill for a long time, I, like others, was hoping he would be able to finish the series himself.
From what I understand he left the script for the last book in the hands of his wife and his cousin, so that they at least could make sure it would be finished, but it is sad that he was not able to finish the series himself and leave a wonderful legacy.
I know a lot of people don't like the WoT series, but to me they read like a fantasy soap-opera that was a delicious guilty pleasure.

Rest in peace, Robert Jordan.

Read all 11 books so far, was looking forward to book 12 and the ending of it all. I have greatly enjoyed the series, and I am currently reading through it a second time while waiting for book 12 so I'm up to date on all the facts and details.

I was saddened to hear of his death. Not really because of book 12 (I think the series will be finished by someone close to Jordan, as pointed out by Sorcha), but because he never got to finish it himself and hear/read the feedback from all his fans on the ending, and on how the series is as a whole when completed.

Working so long, and so hard, with something as great as Wheel of Time, and he never got to see it through to end. Rest in peace Robert Jordan, your excellent writing has gained you millions of fans worldwide.

16th of September was a sad day for fantasy litterature.

I have never read a book by him, but I regard him as one of the "mile stones" in fantasy literature.

My condolences to everyone involved. :(

Back
Top Bottom