What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

A School girl with minigun as her left hand is hot!, she will whopped & pwned all your geeky asses!

I've seen the Meatball Machine - a typical over the top blood spurting fest, although all in all i didn't like the overall feels of cheap and amateurish.

I Am Legend
===========

When a movie poster depicting a lone guy (will smith) carrying a gun with dog on his side, and general destruction of civilisation as their background, what would come into your mind?. And yeah, someone who had been the Mad Max movies fan or played too much Fallout would probably say "Eh? this seems interesting".

It's not bad film, it's pretty nice actually but unfortunately the film didn't turn out to be very memorable one or as a replacement to the aging Mad Max series. It's neither an action or horror fillm, maybe a post-epidemic destruction-survival film, with ferocious enemies that attack as fast as you had seen in the 28 days later. And that dog surely very lovable but got pwned by enemies pretty fast. sighed. Will Smith should have armed her to the teeth, like discharging high voltage electricity when attacked, mounting a flamethrower on her head and rocket launcher on her side. bwahahaha....

Took the family to Enchanted yesterday.

Fairly good family entertainment. I think the most fun for me was picking up all the references Disney put in to other movies of theirs, and there's a ton of them. The Wild Dogs had a good time with the storyline.

Took my boys to see Alvin and the Chipmunks tonight... it was a fun family film.

Watched the Golden Compass last friday, and was pleasantly surprised (given the mixed reviews from people whose judgment I normally trust). Not having read the books probably helped, as did me having a soft spot for steampunk. Certainly far better, and far less annoyingly childish, than Narnia. I assume sequels are planned and in that case I look forward to them:)

Then we watched Ratatouille (IMHO the best of the Pixar movies I've seen) and an unsubbed VHS Ronin (couldnt catch half the dialogue due to my hearing impairment, luckily there isnt that much dialogue in it in the first place).

Tis the season ...

Watched Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964) - absolutely awful from start to finish ... LOVED it :D

Caught Gladiator last weekend--quite good if you divorce yourself from a desire for historical accuracy ( though apparently Commodus did fight in the Arena and cheat a lot).
Next up for the Christmas holidays is The Vicar of Dibley 10th anniversary disc and from the CLoH, The Dark Hours. (Our family has some odd Christmas traditions, though at least everyone is finally tired of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Christmas Eve. Still have to play the Rocky Horror soundtrack while opening presents though :) )

Initially want to catch "the golden compass" but because the show scheduling so went in for Nicholas Cage "NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS" instead.

NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS
=============================

Never watch the first one. Not a fan of Nicolas Cage anyway as IMO most of his movies is either so-so or bad. These newest film is typical "find the treasure for glory and save someone's family name from jeopardy," bla bla ... Heck, part of story and stuff already reflected in the film's title, plus, it's Disney movie.

Magerette: I just wish they went with the more historical ending from the Fall of the Roman Empire, where the head of the Praetorian guard auctions of the imperial title:p Happy (or fluffy) endings bother me to no end:p

Cage is a somewhat limited actor. But I liked Red Rock West http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105226/ though the story has been done many times.

After Christmas I'll probably see the Swedish movie Arn, the knight templar about Swedish 12th century power politics and the third crusade. We're also stackin up on DVDs to fill a week in the countryside (there's no snow, and we wont be able to bring the computers).

Red Sonja

Got the DVD for 5 bucks outta the bargain bin at WalMart along w/ Escape from New York. Red Sonja has gotten a lot of flack, but I think it's kind of a cool movie. Sure the dialogue sucks, and Brigitte Nielsen's ultra-long red mullet is the most unsexy thing Ive seen on a woman since I caught a glance at Britney's c-section scar. Sure, Arnie is doing a stint as a poor man's Conan as "Kalidor". I know that half the costumes look like they belong in Flash Gordon, instead of some sword and sandal flick.

I know there's lots going against this film, but I still had fun with it.

When the little boy prince and his servant are introduced, I lamented "here's our comedy relief team" and took a hearty swig of ale. To my suprise, there was a spot or two of groan-worthy comedy, but there really wasnt enough to annoy me. Certainly nothing at all like the sickening overload provided by the thief in the similar film from Richard Fleischer a year earlier, "Conan the Destroyer". Actually I kinda enjoyed the boy prince character, the little guy really appeared to be somewhat adept in the martial arts as well. Speaking of martial arts, the fight scenes in this film were alright, Ive definitely seen worse. I especially liked the fight between Cona- I mean "Kalidor" and Sonja, for Sonja's love. Call me a sentimental fool, but something about literally fighting for a woman's love just makes my heart sing. Fighting HER purrsonally I guess is a little weird, but hey, that's life in Hyborea for ya....

While the costumes were kinda space opera-ish at times, I dont think they were truly bad. Almost had a Morrowind feel to them. The effects were better than his aforementioned previous fantasy epic. All in all, I wouldnt pay more for 5 bucks for it, but I'll definitely give this piece of 80's fantasy cheese at least one opposable-thumbs up.

We just watched the Bob the Builder Christmas Movie. It was a high suspense flick... at least for Sonny. When Bob met his twin brother Tom in the end, Sonny was so relieved he keeled over and fell asleep :).

Feast
=====

One of the many films produced under Project Greenlight (founded by Matt Damon, Ben Affleck) - a nice horror film by amateurs Marcus Dunstan (writer) and John Gulager (director). It essentially throwing together some familiar stuff from horror genre, while injecting some unexpected turn of events and couples unusual end to typical horror movie characters, plus some amusing takes on the genre itself. Interestingly in the opening scenes, the film introduced its characters through on screen resume still shots with items such as: "Name: Hero, Occupation: Ass Kicking Hero, Life expectancy: Pretty f***king good..., etc". All the characters are unique: a cripple on wheelchair, motivation speaker, unemployed actress, a hooker (funny thing occur when monsters attacked while she doing her business), a granny (life expectancy on her resume noted: "probably already dead..."), and a heroin (yep, there'll be heroin when there's hero, right?). It's quite fun to watch, in fact it's not often for a horror to get 52% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Wrong Turn
==========

When i saw the movie's poster with nice looking girl and nice boobs, how the film would begins and end already came into my head, and its certainly not disappointing. When a bunch of young peoples went for holiday, on the road with fast car and loud music and raunchy sex, what else would followed? Yeah, body parts start flying, blood gushing here and there, and river will ran red very soon!. Creativity, what creativity? we don't call a horror flicks as a horror flick for nothing!.

Wrong Turn 2
============

Lol...i almost laugh out loud and rolled my eyes when the film starts with another loud music and fast car scene. Except suprisingly it begins with big bang as someone got slashed into half from head to toe!. The bad guys here are still the same mutated inbred family of hillybilly who look exceeding ugly, and for the victims this time we got reality TV crew consist of athlete, ex-soldier, a slut, an obnoxious horny guy, and a couples others, who of course later got chased down, disemboweled, cooked or barbecued and served as a dinner on the table while the mutated hill peoples sit together and thanked their god (!) for the abundant boundties been offered. No wonder the lead female character (forced to sit at the same table) scream her head off cursing "What's wrong with you people!! you bunch of f***kign sicko @&#%... !!"

The Living and The Dead
=======================

This one certainly surprised me. It's not typical horror film but a very good psychological horror with exceedingly dark, grim, emotionally haunting and unrelenting study of the mind that descent into hellish proportion. The movie build on complex plot as "Ex-Lord" Donald found that he must leave her sick wife at home under the care of his overprotected son. While he is absence, the son unstable mind finally gone out of control - threatening the life of his mother with panicked home treatments, by barricading the house from outside helps, etc... The acting of lead male character as the full blown schizopreniac/mental nutcase is the best i ever seen since Jack Nicholson in "The Shining."

Feast was a pretty lousy movie, IMO, but those on-screen "resumes" are very good. Almost worth enduring the rest of the show.

I thought Wrong Turn was fairly good. Sure, the plot is a pointless chain linking the violence, but (as you say) that's pretty much expected in the genre.

I'm very fond of Red Sonja--haven't seen it in quite awhile--btw, it was too late to cancel Conan the Destroyer so we did end up watching it. It was fairly lame in many parts-like when they're in the really generic evil wizard's ice palace and they're blowing dry ice fumes or something out of their mouths to simulate how cold it is--yeesh--and that thief guy was absolutely the worst, the bottom, the lowest of the low. I still enjoyed the rest of it though as part of me is regressing to childhood or something. :)

Remus--interesting bunch of flicks--The Living and The Dead sounds like a possibility for our sick household. :)

Our latest from the Connoisseur's List of Horror, was one of Sammy's rec's-- The Dark Hours and I have to say I've had nightmares all week from the thing. For a low budget horror flick, it was exceptionally gruesome and convincing. Thanks, ...I think. My spouse is made of tougher stuff, however and he thought it was excellent, his favorite so far. (I've hidden the axe, just in case.)

I´ve watched The Usual Suspects again a couple of days ago. It´s still as good as I remembered it: One of the best movies of the 90s, which deservedly won 2 Oscars.

Yeah, Dark Hours is definitely the real deal ='.'=

I got Resident Evil 1&2 in a double disc set, and burned thru them both over the last couple days. Some of the action in the second one is so overblown, it made me just laugh out loud a few times with how absolutely implausible is would be, and how damn cool they tried to make Mila Jovo appear. Yes, even in a world of zombies and super-mutants (Nemesis, which actually had some pretty lame makeup), there's still a sense that things need to be somewhat believably unbelievable.

In part II, I liked the scenes of lots of soldiers opening up on zombies w/ fully automatic weapons, you dont see that very often. You know, a full on tide of undead against tons of human soldiers tossing grenades, going full-auto on them, just barely holding the front line.
I'd like to see more of that, and on a grander scale. Undead vs Living TOTAL WAR.

They were both okay, and arent unwelcome in my collection or anything, but definitely not making my favorite list or anything.

Hey, Sammy (and anyone else who's interested)...

Have you seen Nightmare? If not... you really need to try to get hold of it. I saw it when I was about 16 and it is one of the most messed up movies I've ever seen. It's not what you'd call a quality cinema offering... but it's disturbing enough to burn a hole in your memory that never fades.

There are lots of films called Nightmare, so make sure you get the one that is described in the link I provided.

Back
Top Bottom