Aggressive malware: Downadup

P

pibbur

Maybe this is old news, or maybe it doesn't belong here, if so, please disregard it.

From fsecure's website: Downadup worm alert A fairly new threat, apparently.

Some computers at work (an IT department serving 10 hospitals) got infected yesterday - so the department closed down internet access to all 15000 pc's (to reduce further infection). They've been busy patching servers and workstations since then.

This one seems to be very aggressive. You should verify that windows and your anti-virus software is up to date. There is also a (beta) threat removal tool available on the fsecure website (probably also other places).

And to those of you who have Macs and Linuxes - I probably hate you right now, :)

A piece of useless(?) information from Pibbur

Some more information. Apparently this is mainly a problem for corporate networks. And it's not as new as I thought. Home users should be safe, at least if you've kept windows updated.

Sorry for the noise.

I think that's not useless to inform us. I think these threats can turn up anywhere.

thanks for the info! I'm pretty much the geek on call for my family and work, so much so that I often spend more time at work fixing problems than I do actually doing my job!

Thanks for the malwarebytes link JDR, I'm always looking for new good RELIABLE malware killers and utilites, I like it also when they have specific tools for specific threats. All malware killers arent created equal, as anyone who uses these things knows, some of them are real crap. I'll give it a shot on my test pc.

Back
Top Bottom