Top 10 CRPGs of all time

FF X-2 actually is the next game in line to be played, even though I'm itching to replay Kingdom Hearts. But I'm intent on finishing all my FFs before that.

Well, now that I'm retired, even though I have a lot more time to play games I find many of them disappointing, not measuring up to the days of old. I don't know if this is the game or me either. I think though, you have a point dte. Does the addiction phase that keeps you up til dawn eating cheetos come from the quality of the game experience, or from the freshness of the mind that is playing it?

As we know, it's very subjective--Is it my own jaded psyche that doesn't get excited, or is it the run-of-the-mill, force-feeding drivel that I am asked to play? I'd like to think that a really fresh crpg without the dreary formulaic approach we all know and dread, would make a difference.

To me, that's a very interesting topic. It's not only games - it's music too. The older I get.. the harder it is for me to get really excited about new stuff.
(I'm only 22 but I see this too when thinking back to when I was 16 )

In games I believe this is because of both of those things you mentioned.
1. We are getting jaded - the new stuff is "been there, done that" more and more.
2. I also believe that the fact that we're worshipping graphics and easy-to-get-into gameplay (we cannot be expected to read the manual anymore, more fun! faster! prettier! easier!) is somehow reducing games to something.... less than what they used to be.

I see this clearly now since I've started (As some of you may know) just recenlty getting into the games of early 90's. I genuinely think that these games are actually better and far more interesting than most of the stuff they release today. And there's no nostalgia factor here. I've never played this stuff before.

EDIT: HAH! This post made me a senior member. Seems fitting :D

Oh my... I haven't posted my list, because I know a lot of RPGs on there are being viewed as 'bad' RPGs here. But here's my list:

1. Morrowind
2. Neverwinter's Nights
3. Knights of the old republic
4. Dungeon Siege
5. Diablo.
6. Lands of Lore
7. Neverwinter's Nights 2
8. Oblivion
9. Divine divinity
10. Icewind dale 2

I'm playing through Titan Quest at the moment, and it very well might make this list, time will telll. I have played older RPGs, both back in the days and recently, but they never did much for me. Most of them I found too hard, and I despise puzzles in games so that didn't help either :blush:
But these are the games I've finished (some more then once, or at least go back to regularly)

Good list! I completely forgot about Lands of Lore on mine...On second thought that might have been the first RPG I ever played on a PC.

NWN2 is good game, I really hope it will prolong the entire community for at least another 5 years as the original did, but I still can't believe the amount of bugs in this game - even ones that make it impossible to complete it without an update. For that fact I didn't include it on my list.

In games I believe this is because of both of those things you mentioned.
1. We are getting jaded - the new stuff is "been there, done that" more and more.
2. I also believe that the fact that we're worshipping graphics and easy-to-get-into gameplay (we cannot be expected to read the manual anymore, more fun! faster! prettier! easier!) is somehow reducing games to something.... less than what they used to be.

I'd agree with you on this. Although the Forgotten Realms are still my favourite RPG setting, I can't help but feel that it's the same thing all over again. That's not to say I won't enjoy D&D games anymore, quite the contrary, but some variation once in a while wouldn't hurt. Spending two years in a Persistant World with a strong community and RPG focus also spoiled me I think because now the pre-scripted dialogues of many old (and new) games cannot simulate interacting with "real" characters.

Games like Planescape and Vampire Bloodlines are exceptions however. The Planescape setting is so refreshingly different from the high fantasy we're used to and for one wouldn't mind a shift from the nearly overdone Forgotten Realms. Vampire's dialogue can also catch you off-guard if all you're used to is D&D high fantasy - again a refreshing change from the norm. Such changes are, I think, necessary to keep the genre interesting and keep all of us up all night again...

Wooo best posts series I ever seen for this classical topic. Well done guys!

If you read all eighteen pages, that's a pretty good effort yourself. :) Feel free to post your own list--this topic is ever green.

1) ultima (I guess 3 and up, minus 8 and sort of 9)
2) bards tale
3) fall out
4) elder scrolls
5) buldars gate infinity engine games
6) System shock
7) might and magic
8) never winter nights
9) arcanum (this one could be further up since I'm playing it now)
10) hmmm this is for the unsung hero games, indies

I have played so many rpg's in my life, its crazy.

Trust me basilisk games is a company I see rising up here, their first game is so good and screams potential.

Nice list, rune_74. I also have trouble keeping Arcanum out of the top 3. :)
I agree on Basilisk. I'm looking forward to Eschalon. It seems to have the qualities we just don't see much of any more---as they say at the site: "A tile-built, turn-based game world where the result of absolutely every action is rolled, calculated or statistically determined. Strategy is paramount to success; careful skill management, equipment selection and magic usage will win your fights, not rapid button clicking."

I am a beta tester for basilisk btw, and its looking very good is all I can say. Thomas just "gets it".

If this is the begining, then we are in for very good ride.

1) baldurs gate 2
2)fallout 2
3)eye of the beholder 2
4)realms of arkania 2
5)fallout
6)gothic 2
7)bards tale 2
8)eye of the beholder
9)planescape torment
10)knights of the old republic (just for the story)

This is my favorite genre, and I've played so many games in it with so much impact, that I couldn't possibly rate them. So I'll just spout out some names that mean something special to me:

Pool of Radiance
Buck Rogers
Bard's Tale
Dungeon Master
Black Crypt
Eye of the Beholder
Baldur's Gate
Ultima
Phantasie III
Realms of Arkania
Knights of the Old Republic
Fallout
Wizardy
Arcanum
World of Warcraft
Diablo
Gothic
Fairy Tale
System Shock 2
Neverwinter Nights
Lands of Lore
Bloodwyche
Captive
Ultima Underworld

Hrmm... my list would have the following in it, not sure about the order:

PS:T
Fallout 2
Arcanum
BG2
VTM:B
MotB
Fallout
Honouble Mentions:
Deus Ex
KOTORs
Jade Empire

Those last few were all very enjoyable games, favorites of mine, but I'm not comfortable describing any of them as 'great RPGs'.

Boulder's Gate ... ? ;)

I think I proved to myself that I still have the stamina even if I will soon be 30. I have during summer played Final Fantasy 7-10 in a row. It have taken me 7 weeks of playing non-stop without any real break. Still 17 days to I must go back to my studies but maybe I can finish X-2 before that.

It took me over a year to finish FF1-3 + good part of 4 and chrono trigger + chrono cross.

1. BG2 and its expansion. (no explanation necessary, pinnacle of what an RPG should be).
2. Betrayal at Krondor. (best story in a game)
3. Final Fantasy 8 (great story and a power up system thats awesome for power players, keeps me coming back over and over).
4. Darklands (awesome power up system, a little too open ended though)
5. Morrowind (needed some mods to be better, but great Guild quests and open endness, much smarter game then Oblivion. Also the fact that its fully and easily moddable).
6. Gothic (a very good game all around)
7. Gothic II (expands on Gothic very well, but can't give it higher spot cause the fist game was mroe inventive).
8. EverQuest (Say what you will, but any game that can keep me in it for 5 years deserves a mention).
9. Arcanum (good story, interesting system, good potential for improvement.)
10. NWN (not a great game by itself, but the moddability factor was awesome, and the second expansion was very good.)

Here's my top 5. I don't think I've played enough games to have top 10 yet.

1. Baldur's Gate II + ToB: This is truly a masterpiece. Story telling, NPC interactions, music.. everything is just perfect. With several mods available to add more fun!
2. World of Warcraft: Sure, I have to pay monthly fees to play this game, but hey, I'm not complaining. Blizzards have never failed on any games yet!
3. Planescape: Torment: It's a bit too heavy on dialogue for my liking... but nevertheless a superb game.
4. No One Lives Forever: Cate Archer is a female version of James Bond... really enjoyable game. Although it took me a while to finish this (I'm horrible with stealth!)
5. Diablo I: While many people thinks that D2 was better. I still prefer original. It had more scary atmosphere... a feeling of something really scary will creep out any second!

My top 5.

1. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (I don't include the ToB expension here)

2. NWN1 (especially some of the modules created by the players)

3. Gothic 2. I tried Gothic 1, the demo of it rather, long after G2 and I was totally confused. Might have missed something great there but... Won't include G3 which I still havent finished. Tired of visiting one more town, one more rebel base, doing a bunch of fetch quests. It's a great exemple of larger not equal better.

4. Deux Ex. Got a great story. An original gameplay.

5. Might be a spot for «The Witcher»

NWN2 is close to getting a spot here thanks to its dialogues and story. But the possibility to rest everywhere, the lack of multi select at release, and its extreme linearity screw it.

Might have included «Mount and Blade» here but it's not enough polished yet.

Kotor sure was great but its extreme linearity...

Morrowind. Well, this one also got close but it seems, once again, something was lacking. The world doesnt feel alive enough. The fighting was not quite satisfying. Dungeons were laughable.

Fallout 2 hadnt managed to hook me. Not sure why.

Vampire the masquarade : Bloodlines well, the ambiance and dialogues were great but... doesnt fit my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom