Arkane Studios - Getting to Know Dishonoured

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameInformer has a little information on Arkane's Dishonored, which is described as an "assassination game" and a "stealth action/adventure" with references to Thief and Deus Ex in the preview text:
Who are you?
Players take on the role of Corvo, the Empress’ legendary bodyguard. As the game starts, Corvo is falsely imprisoned for her murder. What the corrupt Lord Regent behind the coup didn’t realize is that Corvo is legendary for a reason. He’s not only a skilled combatant accomplished in the art of not being seen, but Corvo has a suite of supernatural powers that combine with his natural talents and unusual gadgets to make him one of the most lethal men in the known world.

Why should you care?

Even if you haven’t played them, you’ve undoubtedly heard of Thief and Deus Ex. One of the main minds behind those two games, Harvey Smith, is the co-creative director of Dishonored along with Raf Colantonio, the founder of developer Arkane Studios. The two share a vision of a game that gives players the power to be creative with their skills and tactics, and invites them to come up with interesting solutions to the obstacles in front of them. Arkane is known for its immersive first-person gaming (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic), and the power of a talent-driven publisher in Bethesda (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3) behind the team is promising.
More information.

t’s an assassination game that reacts to how violent you are. An unusual “chaos” system tracks how much collateral damage you cause, and the game world changes as a result of your actions. Unlike a light/dark side meter, though, it’s a behind-the-scenes element that affects story decisions without punishing the player or pushing them to play one way or another.

The gameworld reciprocation system looks promising. Words are words though.

Hm, "assassination game" ?

A mix between "Assassin's Greed" and "Deus Ex Machina" ?

It sounds interesting and I will keep folowing this.
But bethesda? doesn't sound good to me.

Still lets hope for the best

The development team sounds promising. If Bethesda is only the publisher, that sounds like a great combination, as that is a company that knows how to market and sell games. I love Arx but that was a while ago. I'm surprised that Arkane is still in business, have they released more than the two games mentioned?

They did come work on Bioshock 2 a couple years ago, but Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah are there only released games.

They had another FPS in the works called the Crossing a few years back, but it ended being cancelled.

In spite of this they managed to grow quite a bit, as they opened a separate studio in Austin, TX a couple years ago headed by Harvey Smith. I'd assume this is where this game is being done rather than at their main Lyon studio.

-Sergorn

I don't like assassination as a main game mission much. That's just a role I don't feel comfortable with. Skipped Assassins Creed and Hitman fo rthe same reason, although those were undobtedly good games in their own rights. I do however love stealth and I like the talk about creative solutions to situations in that article:
Dishonored has several major elements that combine to create its unique gameplay: mobility, powers & gadgets, environment, and AI. The trick is that a single power doesn’t just do damage or heal you. You can combine them organically to create interesting effects. Stop time and knock a bunch of stuff off a table in one direction then book it in another, so the guards search for you in the wrong place. Summon a swarm of rats to attack one guard, but possess one of the rats and escape in the chaos. Every problem has as many solutions as you want it to.
- so I guess I have to see where the balance will be on this one.

Back
Top Bottom