American VS Swedish Recruitment Ads

I'm an Americanand I'll say I found the Swedish commercial to be much more disturbing. Not because of the content, but because the message seems to be: "Shame on you! How dare you live your everyday life while others suffer!" Meanwhile the entire point of the ad is to recruit people to defend government interests. The use of shocking footage to trigger a negative response is also more underhanded than I think most Americans would care for. It's also a very cynical message, which I consider strange for a recruitment ad.

On the other side of what Jemy was saying in regards to nationalism, Americans still see themselves as the guys who jumped into World War 2 and saved everybody (yes, STILL after Vietnam and Iraq).
I disagree that the US ad was attempting to sell a macho image. Notice that nothing in the ad is violent, or even a war-time scenario. Instead it shows training and discipline excercises. It's all about accomplishment and overcoming odds, which is a good sell to a nation that percieves itself as a meritocracy.
The only part I think that attempts to resemble a Hollywood is the musical score, but I don't think it's trying to be macho. Instead it's attempting to invoke a sense of history, specifically for World War 2 (our finest hour). However, the unemployed teenagers they are trying to recruit consider Saving Private Ryan their WWII history lesson. So that's what they're trying to do.

In summation, the US ad is not so much bravado as it is about the accomplishments you can achieve and the accomplishments America has made throughout its history. We love that shit.

I dunno … I guess I see it a bit differently. I saw the American as 'pugilism is kewl'. Which to me, as my kids keep inching towards that age, scares the crap out of me.

The Swedish one says to me "we can't protect you from bad things happening, we aren't very good WHEN bad things happen about stopping them in progress, but we can try to help out a bit when you are all shot up and maimed". It seemed more like an ad for a field medic than a soldier.

I think that reflects the different roles of the militaries. Since our neighbourhood is quiet and we dont have permanent presence abroad our guys will do peacekeeping and at most restoring order after the bad things happened. So we arent involved in the first step at all, our task is to restore normality.

The Swedish military did run ads of sorts (infomercials on state TV) during the cold war and that looked rather different. Corvettes and submarines proudly flying the Swedish flag through the archipelago that the Russians were expected to attack through (not strange since a Russian sub managed to hit a rock outside one of our naval bases in the early 80s, probably due to navigational error by an incompetent captain). Back then the focus was territorial defense, and there was a great fear of an external threat. Things have really changed since…

EDIT: I imagine Finland is closer to our past attitude towards the armed forces.

Back
Top Bottom