So tell me about Risen....

There just seems to be no method to the madness. If I swing...whatever I'm swinging at jump away. Then I'll move closer swing and it hits me while I'm swinging. Or sometimes I'll hit the thing. Very confusing comat system.

That's exactly why I became an archer in Gothic 1. ;)

Well... You can't expect Your opponents to hold still while you try to stick sharp pieces of metal into them. It hurts, you know? ;)

I thought Risen was pretty awesome. Sure, it was almost a remake of Gothic 2, but it did also refine some things, like combat, and successfully introduced new ones, like puzzle elements. About combat, I found it to be very good…I actually can't think of any RPGs with a better real-time combat system. I've played through the game twice so far, once as a mage and once as a fighter. Both were very satisfying for me.

Magic is quite different from other games. You basically have two types of magic: rune magic and "combat magic". Rune magic is mostly spells that lets you do things like levitate, use telekinesis, or transform into another creature. In other words, it's "utility magic", especially useful for puzzles. "Combat magic" consists of three types of magical attacks, which can be powered up to increase damage and effects. Note that this is from memory, so I may not be 100% accurate:

Fire - high damage, damage over time. Higher levels add splash damage.
Ice - freezes enemies, possibly damage over time. Higher levels lets you freeze more powerful enemies, for a longer period of time. Extremely useful for crowd control, and looks awesome.
Crystal - very fast attack rate (which gets faster with higher levels), it's like a magic machine-gun. I think it might have knock-back. I didn't use it much, since it drained my mana very quickly.

Really, I thought this system was pretty awesome. Sure, having a large number of attack spells can be fun too, but here, they found three basic concepts and refined them. I think the increased focus on these three pays off.

As for melee combat, my memory is somewhat blurrier, but I found that too to be pretty excellent. You need to think about how you position yourself, you need to time your attacks, know when to block and dodge. I though it felt like a refined version of Gothic 2 combat. Gaining levels with a certain type of weapon mostly unlocks new moves, which I found to be satisfying, as well as making sense. When reaching certain levels, something awesome started to happen though: There are three classes of swords: one-hander, bastard sword, two-hander (normal, big, and ridiculously big). Initially, you need two hands two wield anything larger than a one-hander. However, upon reaching a certain skill level, you will be able to wield bastard swords with one hand. And upon reaching another skill level, you can wield any sword in the game with just one hand. You should be feeling pretty awesome at that point. ;)

Anyway, to sum up about combat: I though it was excellent. It's satisfying, challenging, and requires player skill and strategy. I got exciting and challenging fights throughout the game both when playing as a mage and as a warrior. In-game skills seem to be refined, and leveling them up feels meaningful.

The rest of the game shows similar polish. The game world is great, beautiful and great fun to explore, as you'd expect from a Piranha Bytes game. It may not rival that of Gothic 3, of course, but one the plus side, they actually managed to finish this game. ;) NPCs are well made and feel interesting and authentic, as they were in the old Gothics. They also have some pretty high class voice actors, most notably John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) and Andy Serkis (Gollum). The story is not bad either. It may not change your life, but it does its job.

Kay

If I don't care about the graphics so much, is it any good on the 360? Did they ever fix the overly-sensitive camera that so many reviews complained about?

Check the youtube reviews on Risen to get a grasp about the differences.

I'm not sure what's been wrong with me and Risen but the point is I didn't played it much, and stopped at a point because any motivation to continue play it was over, not that I found it bad.

The low fps in too many area didn't help but I don't think it's the cause. Perhaps it was too much what I expected and very close to Gothic 2 with NOTR but with no surprise, and obscurely everything close but a little less good than in G2+NOTR, and the whole not having at all the magical charm of G2+NOTR.

Also for some reason the story grab my curiosity in G2+NOTR but totally failed to do the same in Risen.

It's like if my head tell me that Risen is very good and my heart disagree.

The first half of Risen was, for me, some of the most joyous gaming I've ever experienced. The last third or so was just awful, though. It was like I was playing this amazing open exploration RPG with factions, and interesting quests and discoveries to make - and then suddenly I got teleported into a totally linear dungeon crawl with boring quests, bad dialogue and none of the magic of the first couple of chapters.

The first half of Risen was, for me, some of the most joyous gaming I've ever experienced…
It was like I was playing this amazing open exploration RPG with factions, and interesting quests and discoveries to make...

I like do stupid bets, so my bet is, you never played Gothic 2+NOTR. :)

I've played the demo and intended to buy it but then it went off Steam forever. Now that it's finally back $40 seems a bit steep at this point. It's probably worth it but it has to compete with everything on sale for my gaming dollars ( of which there's not a lot ). I will buy it if it ever drops in price though.

I'm avoiding Arcania based on reviews but I did love Gothic 2 & 3. Never had a chance to play NOTR.

IMO, Risen is the only game i have played that managed to get SHIELD usage right.. I Love the role your SHIELD plays in this game. I just hope they don't alter the combat system in Risen II too much as i found it the best out of all the PB games to date.

Thanks guys…..I might try it out in a week or so.
Combat in risen is all about studying your opponants tendencies. IMO PB did a brilliant job creating a combat system that forced you to not only study your opponants tendencies but to use your block or shield. On my second playthru i played the game on the highest setting and only died twice. My 1st playthru i practically died twice against every opponant i faced in the 1st few hours i played. It is definately not clumsy and it is definately not a game for the impatient gamer who like to one hit hack and slash his way to victory, but when you learn to use the tools provided in the game (especially the shield IMO) the rewards are far better your usual handholding RPG.

I've played the demo and intended to buy it but then it went off Steam forever. Now that it's finally back $40 seems a bit steep at this point. It's probably worth it but it has to compete with everything on sale for my gaming dollars ( of which there's not a lot ). I will buy it if it ever drops in price though.

I'm avoiding Arcania based on reviews but I did love Gothic 2 & 3. Never had a chance to play NOTR.
Arcania is Arcania and not Gothic, if you can get past that it's not that bad. I'm playing it now and enjoying it.

I've only played hte Risen Demo and the combat is quirky and requires some getting you used to.

It's not hack and slash like Gothic 3 or the other Gothic games. You have to watch your opponent and catch them in making their move. When you press the attack button at the right time it will hit dead on. Otherwise, if you just repeatedly press the attack button like in Gothic 3 the opponent can easily evade from your attack and attack you.

Yes, not even close. Even G3 wasn't meant to be so hack & slash-ish. Combat just didn't work as intended.

Back
Top Bottom